BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve the heating problems on the 97 528i's? I've heard a lot of different things done to help it but I don't know which one would be more effective, Thanks

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. What is your problem? Heating or cooling?

Tim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
50, for anyone to be able to help there is a lot more information needed.

I assume your having a cooling problem, not a heating problem?

What have you done to try and fix it?

What are the symptoms?

How many miles?

Any past maintenance?

Jim

·
Wingnut
3,892 Posts

What are the symptoms?

How many miles?

Any past maintenance?

Jim
as asked by jim, are you having an actual problem or are you looking to do preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
A properly operating cooling system has no problems.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
... any ideas on how to solve the heating problems on the 97 528i's? ...
This is too vague to even consider where to begin to give you any suggestions or help.

Where is this "heating" problem? Is it your HVAC system in the interior of the car? Or are you having an engine "over-heating" issue? Both of the aforementioned can be e39 "heating" issues...but you give no indication or details of what/where/when/why/how this issue is occurring.

Help us help you better...give us more details so that we can be more helpful. Remember, we aren't there with you and can't see, hear, smell, or touch anything...we have to rely on the OP (original poster) to provide enough details/info/data to make suggestions, recommendations, answers, etc. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

What are the symptoms?

How many miles?

Any past maintenance?

Jim
Yeah cooling, but so the car was around 206,xxx and when ever it is idle for about 2 minutes it heats up and almost over heats if I don't turn it off. I just replaced the fan clutch thinking that my old one wasn't doing what it was supposed to and it didn't do the trick.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Check the coolant level when cold. The top of the float s/b level with the top of the opening.

Any recent cooling system work?

·
Registered
421 Posts
The 97 don't have a float. You have air in the coolent system. You must bleed the air out, the 97 is very finicky when it comes to bleeding the coolent system.
What works for my 97.
1. Turn key to 2nd position with the heater on low
2. Ad coolent to the coolent reservoir fill to the top.
3. Squeeze the lower radiator hose 5x
4. I'll squeeze the top radiator hose 5x
5. Open the bleed screw on top thermostat housing.
6. squeeze the bottom radiator hose 5 times
7. Start the car and let it worm up
8. Close the bleed screw and put the cap on the reservoir.
9. As soon as the temperature to the 12:00 positions open the bleed screw slowly to let the air out. Close this screw. And open the coolent bleed screw slowly.
Repeat until coolent flows freely from the t stat housing bleed screw.
Add coolent as needed only to the level line on the reservoir.
Every time you open the reservoir to add coolent you must bleed the air out of the system.

This may take 2 or 3 tests drives to get all the air out. After the 2nd bleed you don't need to open or add coolent just bleed from the thermostat housing screw.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The 97 don't have a float. ...
REALLY? That's the 1st time I've ever heard that...and it doesnt jibe with the owners manual nor any other BMW I've owned. But I confess, I've never owned a 6 cylinder e39...so I may be learning something new. :)

Just asking to verify...your expansion tank doesn't have the "cold fill" pictogram embossed to the right of the fill cap that shows when to stop adding coolant? Or are you positive that the float hasn't broken off (as they are prone to do)?

If your expansion tank has the "kalt/cold" pictogram seen in the page from the owners manual...which also depicts the float...then your float has broken off...or perhaps you have an aftermarket expansion tank:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have three E39's (all early models) and none have a float in the (white) expansion tank. Am certain it was added during production at some stage.

Spod

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
For the 528i, my owner's manual shows a translucent tank on the left side of the radiator with the fill level shown on the tank.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The float was added after build date 09/1998 or 99on the e39.

I have personally work on many e39 especially the early e39 528i. From 1996 build date to late 1998 No float on the white expansion tank

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The float was added after build date 09/1998 or 99on the e39.

I have personally work on many e39 especially the early e39 528i. From 1996 build date to late 1998 No float on the white expansion tank
There ya go...I've learned something new today. As mentioned above...I've never owned a 6 cyl e39...so I've never seen this white "floatless" expansion tank. :D

Thanks for the brain explosion (mind blown) :thumbup:

BTW...I knew the e39 M5 has a white expansion tank...but the early 528i having a white expansion tank is news to me. :)

{e39 M5}

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 97 don't have a float. You have air in the coolent system. You must bleed the air out, the 97 is very finicky when it comes to bleeding the coolent system.
What works for my 97.
1. Turn key to 2nd position with the heater on low
2. Ad coolent to the coolent reservoir fill to the top.
3. Squeeze the lower radiator hose 5x
4. I'll squeeze the top radiator hose 5x
5. Open the bleed screw on top thermostat housing.
6. squeeze the bottom radiator hose 5 times
7. Start the car and let it worm up
8. Close the bleed screw and put the cap on the reservoir.
9. As soon as the temperature to the 12:00 positions open the bleed screw slowly to let the air out. Close this screw. And open the coolent bleed screw slowly.
Repeat until coolent flows freely from the t stat housing bleed screw.
Add coolent as needed only to the level line on the reservoir.
Every time you open the reservoir to add coolent you must bleed the air out of the system.

This may take 2 or 3 tests drives to get all the air out. After the 2nd bleed you don't need to open or add coolent just bleed from the thermostat housing screw.
Thanks man, once I fix my heater I'll try that

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Thanks man, once I fix my heater I'll try that
You'll also want to raise the front end of the car by either parking on a slight incline, ramps or jacks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts