BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
---------
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if the new 2007 models will affect in any way the value of 2006 E90, meaning cause slower depreciation than usual. I am especially interested in case with 330i. On one hand the increase of price in 2007 is quite big, on the other hand: 2007 328i is still quite a lot cheaper than 2006 330i. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have both a 2006 325i (delivered July 2005), and a 2006 330i (delivered February 2006). You cannot imagine how happy I am that they are both 3 year leases. They both will be 'orphan' models in a few months. If there is a significant depreciation problem, and I suspect there is, thankfully it will become BMW's problem and not mine.

I appreciate BMW's constant striving to upgrade the product, and make the best equipment available as soon as possible. I see, however, their excessive secrecy on this whole 328i/335i matter as working against the interests of very recent owners or those considering purchase very soon. Sorry BMW, but you have tripped my pissed-off meter, and only time will tell if it will reset by the time our leases come to a close. Bimmers are excellent machines, but they are not without competition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if I agree with your comment about the 330 becoming an "orphan". What are the differences between 328 and 330?

·
Registered
105 Posts
i don't think it will really affect the resale in the future. Yes, if you try to sell your 325 or 330 now, since the 328 & 335 are on the horizon, you might not be able to get as much as you want for it, but say 3-4 years down the road when one might be selling your 06, people probably won't really care that much at that point. Nonetheless it's still the new E90 body style. Not that I'm saying that there won't be people searching specifically for the 07s over the 06s just becuz of the upgrade, but I just don't think there's gonna that much of an impact IMHO...

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
I have to agree. I am disappointed by the fact that BMW, after only one year, has decided to change the 325 to the 328. Usually you expect this change after 3-4 years. IMO, it is just as bad as a facelift.

Really demonstrates poor planning by BMW.

On a better note though, the car was $1500 cheaper. Plus, we could tell people the E90 325 was a limited production vehicle, only made in 2006.

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
Penforhire said:
If it gets more people to buy new 328/335's than would have bought 325/330's then it will be called good planning.
Why not just have made the 328 and 335 from the start?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Depreciation

My 2 cents worth; we bought 2006s because we wanted the 325/330 as we liked them, the timing was right (ie, we were in the market for a new car this year) and the deals were made. No one knows what will go on the market next year. If you keep waiting, you will never get a new car out of the fear that something better will be available next year. It's the same thing for most consumer items, TVs, cameras, cell phones, etc. Enjoy the purchase that you made this year; remember, all cars depreciate over time. Some more than others. I took ED of my 325xi in June and have not had it redelivered yet (Due in NY next Tue.) I was very happy with my first Bimmer for the 2 wks that I had it in Europe and have no regrets about changes BMW has made for 2007. I am just recovering from surgery and I have learned that you never know what a year will bring! Get what you want today, and if you are young and healthy enough, there will be plenty of tomorrows to get the next great thing or car to come down the pike!:)

·
Registered
927 Posts
peschwartz: I can certainly agree with you. I still feel that BMW is guilty of excessive secrecy. I worry as well that the E90 330i represents a much smaller level of production for the USA.. If there are problems or parts issues that are unique to a machine which was issued in small quantity, this will affect owners 5+ years from now.

Maybe I am ultrasensitive to this issue because of prior ownership of a '93 RX-7 twin turbo coupe. Total US sales amounted to less than 10,000 units and unique weird problems were commonplace during my nine years of ownership. By the way that twin turbo approach was different: one small turbo for low rpm; second turbo cut in 'seamlessly' at about 4500 rpm for extra boost. The more primitive electronic controls of the early 90's are the reason for the quote marks around 'seamlessly.'

P.S. You can't be all bad if you are from Framingham. We lived 35 years in Sharon, MA and retired to Hilton Head Island SC to escape route 128 and all the wheel-destroying Massachusetts potholes, to say nothing of the New England winters.

·
M 5875Z
71 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
If you keep waiting, you will never get a new car out of the fear that something better will be available next year.
Amen. It's funny how so many people on these forums are waiting for the next model to come out, but on the other hand many people's biggest regret was not buying a bimmer sooner!

I was in the market for a car this year and happened to have a trip to Germany planned. After test driving a BMW for the first time last fall and learning about E.D., it was a no brainer.

Also, the price of my 330i will be roughly $2200 less than an equivalently equipped 335i, so I'm fine with that. :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Why not have released these cars before? IMO, a reaction to the market and maybe the Lexus IS series in particular. As much as I like to rag on them, having decided on the 330i myself, they surely take some sales that BMW figures an engine bump will recapture. Maybe they had these engines in their back pocket all along and it is still just smart marketing strategy to have slightly more rapid evolution.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Let's also not forget that if you bought your 325/330i EARLY...like back in Spring/Summer of '06, you missed out on that nice
$600 price increase that started in September. :D

And its no certainty that BMW won't raise prices AGAIN after January 1st (for all models).

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
As I've said before, I'm fairly certain that the 328/335 lineup was planned from the start and that the 325/330 was a stopgap lineup in order to bring the E90 into production until the N54 engine was ready. They've been working on it for years; it wasn't just thrown together in response to the IS350. G35, maybe, but the IS350 just now got to the party. Remember - 335i test mules were being spotted before Lexus was even selling the IS350 on the street.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
jelliotlevy said:
peschwartz: I can certainly agree with you. I still feel that BMW is guilty of excessive secrecy. I worry as well that the E90 330i represents a much smaller level of production for the USA.. If there are problems or parts issues that are unique to a machine which was issued in small quantity, this will affect owners 5+ years from now.

Maybe I am ultrasensitive to this issue because of prior ownership of a '93 RX-7 twin turbo coupe. Total US sales amounted to less than 10,000 units and unique weird problems were commonplace during my nine years of ownership. By the way that twin turbo approach was different: one small turbo for low rpm; second turbo cut in 'seamlessly' at about 4500 rpm for extra boost. The more primitive electronic controls of the early 90's are the reason for the quote marks around 'seamlessly.'

P.S. You can't be all bad if you are from Framingham. We lived 35 years in Sharon, MA and retired to Hilton Head Island SC to escape route 128 and all the wheel-destroying Massachusetts potholes, to say nothing of the New England winters.
"eating your young..." If BMW would have announced new product lines at the wrong time, it would drive down sales for the existing models, as consumers pushed out purchases for the "new stuff".

I've no issue... we bought our 330i and love it. I could care less what's coming out next year... god
know what 2008 or 09 will hold. who cares, live now and enjoy. :) peace bro! :thumbup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone who works in a business that centers around large market pressures and technology knows that what BMW did here is commonplace, having said that I doubt that their original plan was to introduce models that would only last a single year, simply because this costs ALOT of $$$. I would suspect that one of two things occurred..... they bit of more than they could chew and could not get the 328/335 models out in time and went with plan B (release 325/330 and then roll to the 328/335) or they saw a significant threat to their current market share and had to roll their product lines to maintain their market share. I would guess the former, but regardless if you compare what you get for what you paid, I really do not see anyone being big losers in this whole equation.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Negative. Once the V8 was chosen for the E9x M, the dominos fell. Follow the money. Given that the M will have a 400hp V8, as a marketing strategy, I can see where there would be too big a gap between the entryl level 240 hp 325/328 and a 400 hp M. 310 hp falls roughy in the middle. However, no engine exists. Hmm. The turbo and DI technology in the 335 are spunoff from the 330d. Shazam ... 300 hp. Additionally the cost in development of the 330d is now spread among several models. It's the only way BMW could offer a 300hp engine without retooling a new engine. BMW = technology, cleverness, and marketing ... the way it should be. While I hate turbos ... from a cost perspective it makes sense ... but then I hate accounting departments too. :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
In regards to the e90 330i vs. 335i, when people are looking for a used one, there will be many looking for the higher end 3er. Of those I think there may be quite a few looking for a non-turbo car (for several reasons), but still want a lot of the features that the 330i offered. Kind of the best of both worlds. So the depreciation may not be effected that much. I plan on keeping mine for a long time anyway. My .02.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
mjrunning said:
they bit of more than they could chew and could not get the 328/335 models out in time and went with plan B (release 325/330 and then roll to the 328/335)
I ought to point out that the conversion was not as expensive as it might seem - all of the engine technology developed for the original E90 engine lineup (N52 etc) remains in the new models. Aside from the new turbo engine (which has been under development for years), the 328 and the European equivalents are mostly identical to the outgoing 2006 models (although some European markets are to be getting the DI/HPI equipped N52 engine derivative, the N53). It's just marketing smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
467 Posts
javelina1 said:
"eating your young..." If BMW would have announced new product lines at the wrong time, it would drive down sales for the existing models, as consumers pushed out purchases for the "new stuff".

I've no issue... we bought our 330i and love it. I could care less what's coming out next year... god
know what 2008 or 09 will hold. who cares, live now and enjoy. :) peace bro!
:thumbup:
Waiting an extra 2 months to get a significantly faster car,(we're talking 300 pound/feet of torque at 1400 RPM for the 335i) that's only around $2-3k more expensive isn't such a bad deal.It's not like BMW puts out new engines for the 3 series every year.

·
Registered
474 Posts
BMWpurist said:
Waiting an extra 2 months to get a significantly faster car,(we're talking 300 pound/feet of torque at 1400 RPM for the 335i) that's only around $2-3k more expensive isn't such a bad deal.It's not like BMW puts out new engines for the 3 series every year.
I agree. Waiting just a tad bit longer on a car can save regrets later. Competition drives the car industry and Infiniti, Lexus did a good job on forcing BMW to produce better products.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.