BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Qualityhound
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm exploring a mild tune with a JB3 on my F10 535 x-drive. Anyone with experience doing so on either an N54 or N55?

·
Qualityhound
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like a great value and also that Terry is customer friendly. How has your car held up?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not sure about jb3 as I don't think I've seen any f10 with it but I've seen a few positive reviews of the Procede N55 on e90post.com and also MANY N54 reviews.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Google "JB3" and "timing". Lots of reading. I haven't made up my mind but certainly there is a lot of information / disinformation being spread around.

·
Qualityhound
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google "JB3" and "timing". Lots of reading. I haven't made up my mind but certainly there is a lot of information / disinformation being spread around.
I've done some of that, and have seen positive reports -- however, I think our B/F community members might be more candid, even if they had buyers remorse.

·
7,121 Posts
I've seen what has happened with bad tunes in my Volvo community. Literally seen the pictures of the engines post failure. Personally, I wouldn't mind if BMW comes out with a performance package. Call me cautious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2 main sites can help you with this for info about the JB3 go to N54tech.com and even check out the proceed, @ E90Post.com

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
730 Posts
There's that too. Alot of people run those jb3 with no problems but the experience I've had with tuning leads me to prefer some kind of proactive timing control. Also look into PAW motorsport, I've spoken with Luis there and they seem to know their stuff. It's a flash though not a piggyback like the Procede, I like the piggybacks because they allow you to remove them for service and also allow you to run a 0 map which is stock. That way your not always putting excessive wear and tear on the engine but when you want to up the boost it's right there. Here is an old post by Shiv of Vishnu about the Procede N55 with some interesting info for you.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429987

·
7,121 Posts
I got an email from Dinan confirming same. They are working on it, hopefully this summer.

Also, BMW seems to be working on Performance package stages 1 and 2 for the N55 as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tell me more! So I'd assume this upcoming N55 Dinan tune will cost to the tune of thousands of dollars? That's what was always so enticing about the JB products, how low the cost is. Never did get around to putting one on my E60 but sure considered it. Had it in the shop enough for other issues anyway and figured I didn't need to crank it up any more.

·
7,121 Posts
Tell me more! So I'd assume this upcoming N55 Dinan tune will cost to the tune of thousands of dollars? That's what was always so enticing about the JB products, how low the cost is. Never did get around to putting one on my E60 but sure considered it. Had it in the shop enough for other issues anyway and figured I didn't need to crank it up any more.
Unfortunately, no more info that what I posted above. And yes, I would bet it's probably similar cost to the 550 tune...you have to pay for that warranty somehow...

·
Qualityhound
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the cost of S1 for the E60 model is any indication, it would me priced $1,600-2000, or less than current N63 version for 550 S1.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So you guys think it would be worth buying for $2k+? I'll have to see what it offers, but I doubt I'd buy it since mine is a lease. Sure would be nice if it would make it faster than those ugly ass Subarus! Guess I'll see what the competition offers as well.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
So you guys think it would be worth buying for $2k+? I'll have to see what it offers, but I doubt I'd buy it since mine is a lease. Sure would be nice if it would make it faster than those ugly ass Subarus! Guess I'll see what the competition offers as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Careful about installing Dinan on a lease since they might not take it back or charge you for damaging the vehicle at lease turn in.

BMW may balk at CPOing the car and/or selling you any extended warranty if Dinan s/w has been installed - this info is directly from a conversation I had with BMW NA. Get any "promises" from the BMW dealer in writing.

I installed Dinan in month 2 of my lease - and just bought the car off lease after 36 months (for well under residual value). It is still under new car/Dinan warranty until 2/12, not sure what I'm doing then - probably just bank a "repair fund".

Have also investigated whether I can buy ANY extended warranty after Dinan s/w has been on the car (even if I put back BMW factory s/w) and the only company I've heard of is Zurich.

It is fantastic s/w and Dan from Dinan has supported me really well. There are just fewer options once you install Dinan vs a "portable" flash like JB4 or Cobb.

Good luck!:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts