BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of specing a new 3 series for ED. I intend to get Nav but am wondering if there is really any need to also get the iPod adapter given the new iDrive music storage capacity. Is there really any reason to get both?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am wondering the same thing, I ordered the nav but did NOT get the ipod adapter. I will, however, be taking my iPod with me as well as a burned DVDs with MP3 files to transfer directly to the hard drive if my iPod does not work. Perhaps the USB drive in the glove box will work with an iPod and USB cable??

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Having the ipod adapter allows full use of your ipod. Otherwise, I think you will spend a lot of time searching for particular music selections.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
6FL is a must. The USB port in the glove box allows you to transfer music to the HD - but only 10 gigs worth. With 6FL - you also get a USB port in the armrest. That allows you to play music directly from a USB Flashdrive. Given that you can buy a 64GB flash for about $100 USD these days, you can have your entire music collection in your armrest.

If you get 6FL with Idrive, then you have a nice screen to navigate through the folders on your USB drive.

Definitely go for it.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I am wondering the same thing, I ordered the nav but did NOT get the ipod adapter. I will, however, be taking my iPod with me as well as a burned DVDs with MP3 files to transfer directly to the hard drive if my iPod does not work. Perhaps the USB drive in the glove box will work with an iPod and USB cable??

Can anyone confirm this?
You definitely can't play your IPOD from the USB port in the glovebox. That port allows you to transfer data to the HD and that is it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The reason I didn't get the ipod adapter was because I am only going to use one interface or the other. I am not going to store music on the idrive, then use the ipod adapter, HD radio, and then CDs... How and why would you use all these different options to play a song? I am just going to burn some CD's and listen to the radio. Also, I have bluetooth, and I think I can link it to the car and play music aswell. Too many options to play music IMO. Although the ipod interface is cool.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
The reason I didn't get the ipod adapter was because I am only going to use one interface or the other. I am not going to store music on the idrive, then use the ipod adapter, HD radio, and then CDs... How and why would you use all these different options to play a song? I am just going to burn some CD's and listen to the radio. Also, I have bluetooth, and I think I can link it to the car and play music aswell. Too many options to play music IMO. Although the ipod interface is cool.
Most of my music is on a USB Flashdrive. Every once in a while, a friend gets in the car with a new CD he/she wants to play, or I get some new music and don't have time to rip it to the flash. So, I use the CD player.

I've never stored any music on the HD, and never saw any advantage to doing it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^^ Do you feel its such a big advantage to get the ipod adapter to get the option? I was thinking about getting the option, right now I don't even plug my iphone to my car like a bunch of my friends do to play music. I rather burn a CD and stick it in call it a day. Most the time I listen to the radio for the randomness...

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
You can only carry so much music on a CD. I have my entire music collection in my car burned to a flashdrive. I can listen to whatever album I want when I want.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
No. You can use a USB Flash drive,an Ipod, or any kind of MP3 player. 6FL gives you a USB port and Aux port. You can jack into the system with
all sorts of different music sources.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
The package that gives you IPOD/USB.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's the reason I plan on getting the iPod package:

For one, I believe that prior to DRM-free music through iTunes, any music you buy from iTunes and put on your iPod, won't transfer over to the harddrive. You can't just plug in your iPod and download it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Secondly, I listen to a lot of podcasts that I download on to my iPod. Syncing with my iPod is much easier than putting podcasts on to a memory stick and transferring to a harddrive.

Lastly, I like to listen to audiobooks as well. That's much easier to do from my iPod as well, rather than trying to put the whole thing on to a memory stick and transferring to the harddrive.

As an added bonus, I believe the iPod kit also charges your iPod at the same time, correct?

For me, ordering my dream car in a few months, makes sense to get the iPod package.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apple iPhone Snap in Adapter

I have a new X5 with the smartphone integration, and it works pretty great with my iPhone. It looks like the Apple iPhone Snap in Adapter is a $116 accessory, but I don't think that accessory give me any other features -- just convenience. Correct? Any drawbacks? Thanks for the info about the USB drives -- I didn't think of that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
6FL is a must. The USB port in the glove box allows you to transfer music to the HD - but only 10 gigs worth. With 6FL - you also get a USB port in the armrest. That allows you to play music directly from a USB Flashdrive. Given that you can buy a 64GB flash for about $100 USD these days, you can have your entire music collection in your armrest.

If you get 6FL with Idrive, then you have a nice screen to navigate through the folders on your USB drive.

Definitely go for it.
I thought you had to get the ipod/usb adapter when you get smartphone intergration...no?

·
Registered
323 Posts
how easy is it to rip music from a USB flashdrive to the HDD? Is it involved? How long would it take for say 2GB worth of music.... would it appear on the screen the same way as it would with the 6FL option? I mean it might make sense to save 400 bucks if its easy to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts