BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a non-destructive way of attaching the front plate on my 330Ci. Anyone use velcro or 3M double sided tape, or will that not be strong enough to hold at speed?

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
alee said:
Looking for a non-destructive way of attaching the front plate on my 330Ci. Anyone use velcro or 3M double sided tape, or will that not be strong enough to hold at speed?
How about zip ties through the mesh of your lower air intake? This is something that I always thought about trying with my 323, but never got around to (partly because the holes had already been drilled).

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Re: Re: Any non-permanent ways of attaching 3er coupe front plate?

JST said:

How about zip ties through the mesh of your lower air intake? This is something that I always thought about trying with my 323, but never got around to (partly because the holes had already been drilled).
Good idea, I did that on my RX-7 when I moved to VA from a state (NC) that did not require front plates.

I mounted the plate down low and was able to use it as a ground clearance check, becuase it would scrape before other parts of my car, which helped me keep my low air-dam scratch free.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
alee said:
I just put two small screws in the hole, paint a couple of small caps with touch up paint and cover up the screws with the caps. It actually looks okay.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:
Don't you have the original front plate bracket/bumper insert thing-a-mabob?

If all else fails try duct tape:tsk:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Josh (PA) said:
Just staple it to your new bumper protectors. They look like they'd hold a staple.
:lmao:

So that's all you can come up with after all those years in school:confused: :p

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Josh (PA) said:

Whatever you say Mr. Duct Tape...:tsk:
:flipoff:

But I'm don't have an engineering degree;) I'm not even sure if I graduated:dunno:

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Get some butyl tape from PepBoys, Kragen, Chief Auto, .... It is a black moldable and sticky "thingy" which you can form into any shape - like playdough. I put gobs of it behind the license plate holder after I got a fix-it ticket for no front plate. The Sheriff Deputy tried to pull it off to check if it was screwed on and the holder stayed on tight :D However, when you need to take it off, you can slowly pull the plate off and there will be absolutely no trace on the bumper paint. I have to thank the dealer tech for this idea. :thumbup:

Later.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

:flipoff:

But I'm don't have an engineering degree;) I'm not even sure if I graduated:dunno:
My engineering degree says, do it right, call Rick Horowitz and ask him to donate a new Front License Plate Bracket. Of course Al didn't want to hear this answer so he got my smart ass, staple it to his fabric bumper protectors response.

Being a government employee, I figured you'd have already sent a work crew out to stand around, lean on shovels and look at Al's car for a while, until you came up with a working redesign.:dunno: :lmao:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Josh (PA) said:

My engineering degree says, do it right, call Rick Horowitz and ask him to donate a new Front License Plate Bracket. Of course Al didn't want to hear this answer so he got my smart ass, staple it to his fabric bumper protectors response.

Being a government employee, I figured you'd have already sent a work crew out to stand around, lean on shovels and look at Al's car for a while, until you came up with a working redesign.:dunno: :lmao:
Touche.:lmao: :lmao:

My shovels are all signed out already. I agree with you first thought though:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Magnets

I had thought about removing the bumper cover and epoxying a couple of good, strong permanent magnets to the backside. Than take the license plate frame, and screw a couple of steel plates to the back of it, to match where you glued on the magnets. Make sure the plates are positioned so they don't quite touch the bumper when the frame is in position. Actually, the metal in the plate may be enough by itself.

When you want the plate on. Just pop the frame (with the plate attached) on the bumper. When your done, pop it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts