Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I’m about to take my squeky blower motor out and give it some lovely drops of lubrication. I’ve heard that WD40 is not recommended for this since the smell of WD40 will occupy the car.

Anyone got a smellfree option to recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
I'm much better now, Dave
443 Posts
Regardless of smell, WD-40 shouldn't be used, because it's not a lubricant. It's a cleaner of lubricants.
It's a very very thin oil, that when applied to old gunky oils will thin them out and allow parts to be unfrozen and cleaned.
After only a short time, any WD-40 you've applied will attract dirt, and then evaporate away leaving the dirt.

For most household lubrication needs, I keep a can of "3-in-1 Oil", which is a great, inexpensive "average' multipurpose oil for use like with motor bearings.
(I'd use lithium grease for lubrication needs that are exposed to dirt, like door hinges, because it's not a liquid and doesn't attract dirt).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,461 Posts
Regardless of smell, WD-40 shouldn't be used, because it's not a lubricant. It's a cleaner of lubricants.
It's a very very thin oil, that when applied to old gunky oils will thin them out and allow parts to be unfrozen and cleaned.
After only a short time, any WD-40 you've applied will attract dirt, and then evaporate away leaving the dirt.

For most household lubrication needs, I keep a can of "3-in-1 Oil", which is a great, inexpensive "average' multipurpose oil for use like with motor bearings.
(I'd use lithium grease for lubrication needs that are exposed to dirt, like door hinges, because it's not a liquid and doesn't attract dirt).
+1

That’s a too narrow interpretation of liquid to exclude grease. A liquid is a fluid that conforms to the shape of its container but retains a constant volume. It is one of the four fundamental states of matter (the others being solid, gas, and plasma), and is the only state with a definite volume but no fixed shape.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hi!

I’m about to take my squeky blower motor out and give it some lovely drops of lubrication. I’ve heard that WD40 is not recommended for this since the smell of WD40 will occupy the car.

Anyone got a smellfree option to recommend?

Thanks!

When the bearing squeaks, it's almost time to replace the motor. If you don't want to do that, you need to use a very light weight non-detergent oil, lighter than SAE-10 to re-impregnate the motor bushings. A bearing shop will be able to supply this product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you ALOT for a very good description!

·
Nuclear engineer
17,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Are you sure, “bushings”? I doubt that, rather angle contact ball bearing sealed cartridge.
Doug. attached is a picture. If you look down the shaft, you will notice there is a collar, separate from the bushing carrier. It doesn't turn when the shaft does, so it's likely the motor design is a bushing not a ball bearing. I have not dissected the motor to really know for sure because I have better things to do with my time.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Any specific product in mind?
Not really, but if you can get a hold of some SAE10 non-detergent oil and mineral spirits, you can mix your own. You will want to use a low odour type so it's not too smelly. Probably 9 parts oil to 1 part spirit should thin it out enough to flow into the bushing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just change the motor if I were you. It’s bound to fail anyways. I replaced mine 2 months ago after the bearing went. WD-40 won’t help. Now if you don’t want to change the motor you can lubricate it with white lithium grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I used gear oil in mine as I intended the oil to be thick so it sticks around the bearing balls longer.
Honestly too lazy to replace the motor it's been oiled about 3 years ago and hasn't made noise since (yet).

·
Nuclear engineer
17,461 Posts
Perhaps a better view

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just change the motor if I were you. It’s bound to fail anyways. I replaced mine 2 months ago after the bearing went. WD-40 won’t help. Now if you don’t want to change the motor you can lubricate it with white lithium grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

I will in a week or so. Until then I’m just looking for a quick fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Issue with my 2011 E90 now Not Squeaking 1 Year

My blower motor was squeaking badly. Tried numerous lubricants including teflon spray, silicone, wd40. The one that worked and has kept blower motor quiet now for more than a year is LPS3. Which is liquid white grease. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts