BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has any stories relating to tickets or other fines incurred while enjoying ED.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't get any tickets but if you're driving thru Austria, make sure you buy the vignette sticker (8 euros) at a rest stop as soon as you enter the border. I'm glad we did because a little while later the gendarmerie had closed the autobahn and all traffic was forced to exit to a checkpoint area where each car was checked. At first we didn't know what the checkpoint was for and we were frantically reaching for our passports but as soon as we were waved on we realized they were checking for vignettes! I believe the fine is pretty hefty if you don't have the sticker.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
darchen said:
I didn't get any tickets but if you're driving thru Austria, make sure you buy the vignette sticker (8 euros) at a rest stop as soon as you enter the border. I'm glad we did because a little while later the gendarmerie had closed the autobahn and all traffic was forced to exit to a checkpoint area where each car was checked. At first we didn't know what the checkpoint was for and we were frantically reaching for our passports but as soon as we were waved on we realized they were checking for vignettes! I believe the fine is pretty hefty if you don't have the sticker.
The fine is close to $100. I knew about the vignette and planned to get one at the border. ....But, blasting along in my new 330Ci enjoying the scenery and wondered why all these people were pulling over but not everyone. I had just blasted past the border where you buy them. Go on and risk it or go back? I went back, albeit through the small villages since there wasn't an entry way back on the autobahn. Paid my 8 Euros, drove no more than 5 miles to the Swiss border where I bought the much more expensive $38 sticker. Had I known I was going to be in Austria less than 5 minutes I'd have risked it.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
I've got a good one:

On my way out of Germany on my way to Austria, we're cruising along fairly leasurely, when all of a sudden a Polizei Audi S8 passes me and pulls in front. The back window message board lights up and says POLIZEI. I slow down, he slows down. After a few seconds I got the idea that he wants me to follow.

So we follow him for about a mile to a rest stop. We come over the crest in the road and I spy a Paddywagon, and about 15 cops! Right now I'm starting to panic, "Go to Germany, spend the night in jail...."

Out of 15 cops I found one who spoke broken english, they went over the car, looking at the glass at the tires, asked for passports, all the papers on the car, where are we going, etc.

In the end it turns out that due to the tourist registration plates, they were pulling us over to verify that the car was not stolen. Before we left one officer had provided us with restaraunt recommendations in Saltzberg.

Pic below:

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
Be on the watchout for photo radar... They are everywhere in Europe -- usually a gray box on top of a gray pole, with a visible camera in the box (they are in fixed locations).

Since on ED the car is registered to you, don't be surprised if you find a ticket in your mail a couple months after you get back. I didn't get photo-radar'dduring ED, but when I lived in Geneva in '95 I got one in a rental car that ended up back at my house in the US (I rented the car on my US license) a couple months later... I never paid it (it only had instructions in French that said to go to the Geneva police station to pay the fine, with no instructions on how to do it by mail -- by the time I received it, I was back in the US and I haven't been back to Geneva since).

When I did ED, the only "problem" I had was crossing into the Netherlands from Germany -- the Autobahn was shut, and everyone was being directed into a quasi rest stop / truck inspection station. German Police were stopping everyone and randomly talking to some of the drivers. They starred at my the tourist plates on my car for a minute or two and then waived me through...

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
A rather dated story . . .

I did ED just before (as it turned out) the Berlin Wall came down. Since there was still an East Germany and a West Germany, and we were going from Munich to Berlin, we had to go through the checkpoint at the border.

Two americans, and a car with tourist plates, did not make the process smooth. The guards did not speak any English, and my dad spoke only the most broken of German. They seemed to want a registration certificate, which we did not have (since it was not to be registered in Germany). Presumably they thought we were smuggling the car or had stolen it. After about an hour they let us go.

At that time, every major intersection of the "autobahn" had large gun towers. Needless to say, we drove all the way to Berlin without stopping or exiting the highway.

The more amusing thing about that drive was all the pathetic trabants pulled over on the roadside with broken everything--missing wheels, steaming engines, you name it. Sad, but funny.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I made it a grand total of about 10 Km from the centrum and was pulled over by a van full of police. After we fumbled around trying to understand the first officer, a young kid got out of the van and luckily he spoke perfect english. after about five minutes of waiting he told me they pulled me over because of the tourist plates. I dont think he ever fully understood why two american were in germany driving a US spec BMW with German Registation and plates! After about 15 minutes they finally let me go.

Of course the whole time i am outside talking to the police my wife is snapping pictures for the album!:D

·
Registered
742 Posts
One of the engineering managers went to Germany over the summer. Appearently, the speed limit went from 120km/h to 60km/h right as he entered a small town (that reminds me of some small towns in southern Missour-uh). He realized he got caught by the photo radar, so he went to the town hall to try and pay his ticket. After finding an officer who spoke English, he just told him to forget about since he was an American and didn't live there anyway.

I suppose it all depends on who you run into. My personal philosophy is that if you're in another country, you should follow their rules to the letter, espically since Americans have the reputation of acting like everywhere in the world is America.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
BMW ought to

provide every ED customer with a document, in German (and other languages, upon request), explaining the tourist plates and why an American has the car. Surely it would save the police and the ED customers some time. How hard can it be to write something up.

"Dear Official: This car was purchased by [name] through BMW's European Delivery program. The car is temporarily registered in Germany while its owner is on holiday. At the conclusion of the holiday, the owner will deliver the car to a BMW drop-off point, from which it will be shipped to the United States for final delivery to the owner. If you have further questions about the ownership of this vehicle, please call [person at BMW ED center]"

·
Go Huskies
220 Posts
AutoBahn

We did fine on the AutoBahn but saw many police and radar units where the AutoBahn narrowed to two lanes or was speed restricted for construction. Lots of construction going on when we were there in June. Many traps with four or five speeders pulled over at one time. Obey the speed limit signs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just received a ticket in the mail today for going 14 km/hour over while traveling through Austria. Ticket is 35 Euro. This is from my June 2006 ED trip. They have got to be kidding, right? Do they really think that Americas are going to pay these tickets or is this stuff just computer generated. I highly doubt that there are any ramifications for not paying. Unless, of course, I get pulled over while traveling through Austria again. Any thoughts?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I just received a ticket in the mail today for going 14 km/hour over while traveling through Austria. Ticket is 35 Euro. This is from my June 2006 ED trip.
If you never plan to visit Austria again, you might ignore it. If you plan to visit and enter through a border crossing, this may come up. If you get pulled over, well...

They have got to be kidding, right? Do they really think that Americas are going to pay these tickets or is this stuff just computer generated. I highly doubt that there are any ramifications for not paying. Unless, of course, I get pulled over while traveling through Austria again. Any thoughts?
Yours is the attitude which makes Americans so very welcome in many parts of the world.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
I just received a ticket in the mail today for going 14 km/hour over while traveling through Austria. Ticket is 35 Euro. This is from my June 2006 ED trip. They have got to be kidding, right? Do they really think that Americas are going to pay these tickets or is this stuff just computer generated. ...
If they send the ticket to you home in US, I would suggest you pay it....

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,149 Posts
I would argue that you should pay it if there is a reasonable way to pay it.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I just received a ticket in the mail today for going 14 km/hour over while traveling through Austria. Ticket is 35 Euro. This is from my June 2006 ED trip. They have got to be kidding, right? Do they really think that Americas are going to pay these tickets or is this stuff just computer generated. I highly doubt that there are any ramifications for not paying. Unless, of course, I get pulled over while traveling through Austria again. Any thoughts?
I paid about $80 US on the spot as I told them that I didn't have enough Euros. Then I got a bill at home for the balance of about 37EUR a few months later. I paid my fine using international wire transfer. In fact, the wire fee was more than the actual balance of the fine.

I paid it as I plan to do ED again. Also thanks to JSpira for translating the documents for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yours is the attitude which makes Americans so very welcome in many parts of the world.:dunno:[/QUOTE said:
I didn't mean to sound so ethnocentric. It just makes no sence that a government would be sending a 35 Euro speeding ticket halfway around the world. I can't even read the damn thing to understand where/how to send payment. If I get stopped on my next ED in Austria (not likely) I will pay it then (even if it comes with a late fee).

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
It just makes no sence that a government would be sending a 35 Euro speeding ticket halfway around the world. I can't even read the damn thing to understand where/how to send payment. If I get stopped on my next ED in Austria (not likely) I will pay it then (even if it comes with a late fee).
That's not the Austrian Police's fault. You were caught speeding.

You will be getting more notices if you don't pay.

If you post the document here, we'll tell you what it says.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Ja, but you paid so they stopped sending them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I thought I was never visiting the country again, I wouldn't even think of paying a speeding ticket. Ugly American? No just basic common sense.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts