BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I currently drive an E46 330i, and am on the lookout for an F10.

It looks like the petrol variety of the 530/535 is near enough non-existent, so am looking at the diesel versions.....

From what I've read, if possible, its best to go for the 535, as the power delivery is very consistent and smooth compared to the 530.

Its difficult to find a used car with all the options - mrs wants a white car, which aren't very widely available :cry:

I want to ideally buy an AUC so it comes with a years warranty.....

I've seen one 530d which seems to fit the bill, 2011, approx. 30k mileage, good spec, going for £22k.....

From what I've seen, this looks like a reasonable price? :eek:

Is there anything in particular to look out for when buying one?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Vishal

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
If you're coming from an E46, I recommend a lot of seat time in an F10 to be sure you are OK with the driving dynamic. It's a much larger car that feels bigger than it is, by comparison to the E46. It will be at a whole different level of luxury, though.

I do recommend a car with either the 704 sport suspension or the Dynamic Handling Package, as the F10 really does not feel like a sport sedan without either option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally managed to test drive a 530d last night. Drove well, and response was good, with not too much lag :)

The dynamic of the car was fine, and although its a larger car, I don't think it will take long to get used to.....I've driven a fair few larger cars over the years.....

There is one 530d that I've seen but it doesn't mention anything about the suspension type. I'll be sure to find out....

Would you say its a deal breaker if it doesn't have the said options?

·
3,618 Posts
Only if you think it is. It's a really nice car either way. Mine is my third BMW, and the first two were each sport package versions of their model. Compared to the F10, they were tuned to be much more high-strung - I loved them but my wife did not.

The F10 is designed to appeal to a broader audience, and the chassis tuning on the standard car is quite a bit more relaxed, even compared to a standard suspension E60. BMW's approach was successful, based on sales volume for the car, but I found that even with the Dynamic Handling Package mine did not deliver quite the BMW feel I was accustomed to. Lots of people love the car just as it is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Finally managed to test drive a 530d last night. Drove well, and response was good, with not too much lag :)

The dynamic of the car was fine, and although its a larger car, I don't think it will take long to get used to.....I've driven a fair few larger cars over the years.....

There is one 530d that I've seen but it doesn't mention anything about the suspension type. I'll be sure to find out....

For some it is, for some it isn't. Its all how "YOU" like how the car rides. Enjoy choosing your new ride!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Sales of diesel F10s in the US has been very minimal compared to petrol models. The MSport package is a nice option if this is available in the UK. Also, the Multicontour seats are awesome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've managed to find 2 F10's.....

One is a 530d 2011, 32k on the clock, from main dealer for £21k.

The other is a 535d 2014, 32k on the clock, from independent dealer (has 10 months MOT remaining).

I'm confused as to what to do :(

The initial budget started off at 18k for our new car, but when I saw the one for 21k (initially 22k), I increased the budget slightly, and have now seen the one for £25k :(

Spec-wise, both seem similar.

Any help much appreciated.

·
3,618 Posts
I've managed to find 2 F10's.....

One is a 530d 2011, 32k on the clock, from main dealer for £21k.

The other is a 535d 2014, 32k on the clock, from independent dealer (has 10 months MOT remaining).

I'm confused as to what to do :(

The initial budget started off at 18k for our new car, but when I saw the one for 21k (initially 22k), I increased the budget slightly, and have now seen the one for £25k :(

Spec-wise, both seem similar.

Any help much appreciated.
The 2014 is post-LCI, so it will have a few important updates. LCI is "Life Cycle Impulse", or the mid-model run design refresh. Suspension and steering notably, plus some other stuff. Here is a thread from the other forum that links to a detailed BMW training document about the changes.

32k is a bit high mileage in my view for a 2014, and you would certainly want a private inspection and probably a third-party warranty. But on the other hand, 2011 was the first year for F10s, and those cars weren't perfect.

I would move forward cautiously with the 2014.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for taking the time to reply Will :)

I thought it was a little high for a 14 plate, but saw it as a good thing, as the majority of the miles (in theory) would be motorway mileage.....

It already comes with the remainder of warranty, so it expires in May next year. I've just rung up for extended warranty, and it will cost £952 (£0 Excess), £759 (£100 Excess) or £579 (£259 Excess).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts