BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a CPO Imperial Blue 328d yesterday. The waif is getting her Jetta Diesel bought back by VW, so we need a car for a year or three to get us to the build date of our Tesla Model 3. She drives 80 Miles round trip to work, mostly freeway. The 328d has very similar steering wheel set up, and it seems like it gets better gas mileage than her Jetta...at least so far. We love the interior color and materials, and the Nav screen.

My first question is on the start/stop of the engine when in Eco mode, at stop lights. Is it bad for the engine? Does it really increase the mileage by much around town, and do most of you drive with the stop/start function disabled?

Dave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I personally dislike Eco pro, but do occasionally use it in long highway trips. ASS is ok, I tried without it for a while and have tended to leave it on now. It helps a little and now that I am used to it it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers me to idle at stops, wasting gas.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
My first question is on the start/stop of the engine when in Eco mode, at stop lights. Is it bad for the engine? Does it really increase the mileage by much around town, and do most of you drive with the stop/start function disabled?
The starter and engine are beefed up to handle the extra wear.

It's supposed to save between 3%-11% or so; most estimates around 5%. Once you get used to it, it's not a bother unless you're entering/exiting parking garages.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The starter and engine are beefed up to handle the extra wear.

It's supposed to save between 3%-11% or so; most estimates around 5%. Once you get used to it, it's not a bother unless you're entering/exiting parking garages.
How is the engine beefed up for that?

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,349 Posts
I'm no an engineer but it's difficult for me to see how start/stop doesn't cause increased wear and tear on various components,including the engine itself.I never use start/stop mainly because I,unlike you it would seem,drive 95% of my miles at 70MPH.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I'm no an engineer but it's difficult for me to see how start/stop doesn't cause increased wear and tear on various components,including the engine itself.I never use start/stop mainly because I,unlike you it would seem,drive 95% of my miles at 70MPH.
It's been discussed many times. It would be much easier for a degreed engineer who was on the BMW N20 design team to understand how various components were beefed up to take the added strain of frequent stop-start cycles. I'm not an engineer either. However I know enough to trust the reputation of well regarded manufacturers such as BMW to design and produce reliable cars that are also fun to drive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I think our go to mode will be eco with the stop start disabled.
I have a '16 328d with almost 9000 miles. I use Eco-Pro and ASS mode 99.5% of the time.

Use the feature, the car was designed for it and can take the "extra strain/wear". So far there are 0 reports of engine failures caused due to premature wear from ASS systems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a '16 328d with almost 9000 miles. I use Eco-Pro and ASS mode 99.5% of the time.

Use the feature, the car was designed for it and can take the "extra strain/wear". So far there are 0 reports of engine failures caused due to premature wear from ASS systems.
Hmmm, maybe then. The one thing is, with the weather being above 100 degrees lately, when the SS shuts off, the air pretty much goes with it. It heats up pretty quickly and at a long light, gets almost uncomfortable. On one long light, I did notice it started back up with my foot still on the brake....wonder if it has a time limit to be off if the AC is running.

Dave

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
We bought a CPO Imperial Blue 328d yesterday. The waif is getting her Jetta Diesel bought back by VW, so we need a car for a year or three to get us to the build date of our Tesla Model 3. She drives 80 Miles round trip to work, mostly freeway. The 328d has very similar steering wheel set up, and it seems like it gets better gas mileage than her Jetta...at least so far. We love the interior color and materials, and the Nav screen.

Dave
Dont have a Diesel, but I dont use the Auto Start / stop feature. I dont like the lack of control feeling it gives me when the steering wheel goes taunt at lights etc. I know you can turn the steering wheel and the car will wake back up, but each time it shuts off it causes me some anxiety.

The little fuel savings is not worth that, to me. I also dont use the eco pro mode though.. only comfort or higher.

The shift points in the eco pro mode dont make me feel like I am driving a "fast / sporty" car. It might be different in the diesel with the torque it has but I am not sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmmm, maybe then. The one thing is, with the weather being above 100 degrees lately, when the SS shuts off, the air pretty much goes with it. It heats up pretty quickly and at a long light, gets almost uncomfortable. On one long light, I did notice it started back up with my foot still on the brake....wonder if it has a time limit to be off if the AC is running.

Dave
The ASS system is extremely complex. The BMW engineers know what they are doing. These are most of the situations when the ASS will not work, or when the engine will kick back on:

Seriously, just enjoy the car and use it.

-The car is coasting (manual transmission)
-Brake vacuum reading is too low (manual transmission)
Insufficient brake pedal pressure is being applied to hold the vehicle stationary (automatic transmission)
-Stopping on a hill/downhill with a 12% or greater gradient
-If the steering angle is more then 6 degrees
-If the steering wheel is still be moved after approximately one second of coming to a stop
-The system has not yet be activated by going over a speed of 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals since the last engine switch off
-If the gas pedal is being pressed (engine must be at idle speed only)
-You're coming to a stop from reverse
-The driver gets out of the car
-If Hill Decent Control (HDC) is activated
-If the engine is not up to temperature
-If the carbon canister is being purged
-If the grade of the fuel is too low for the engine
-Transmission adaptation is active (automatic transmission)
-The hydraulic pressure accumulator is not yet up to pressure (automatic transmission)
-Stop-and-go traffic - system is only activated by driving over 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals
-Battery charge is low
-Outside temperature is colder then 37.4 F / 3 C
-Outside temperature above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning system is on
-Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IHKA system
-Climate control system is on but passenger compartment has not yet reached desired temperature
-ABS system was used when coming to a stop

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ASS system is extremely complex. The BMW engineers know what they are doing. These are most of the situations when the ASS will not work, or when the engine will kick back on:

Seriously, just enjoy the car and use it.

-The car is coasting (manual transmission)
-Brake vacuum reading is too low (manual transmission)
Insufficient brake pedal pressure is being applied to hold the vehicle stationary (automatic transmission)
-Stopping on a hill/downhill with a 12% or greater gradient
-If the steering angle is more then 6 degrees
-If the steering wheel is still be moved after approximately one second of coming to a stop
-The system has not yet be activated by going over a speed of 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals since the last engine switch off
-If the gas pedal is being pressed (engine must be at idle speed only)
-You're coming to a stop from reverse
-The driver gets out of the car
-If Hill Decent Control (HDC) is activated
-If the engine is not up to temperature
-If the carbon canister is being purged
-If the grade of the fuel is too low for the engine
-Transmission adaptation is active (automatic transmission)
-The hydraulic pressure accumulator is not yet up to pressure (automatic transmission)
-Stop-and-go traffic - system is only activated by driving over 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals
-Battery charge is low
-Outside temperature is colder then 37.4 F / 3 C
-Outside temperature above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning system is on
-Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IHKA system
-Climate control system is on but passenger compartment has not yet reached desired temperature
-ABS system was used when coming to a stop
I could have sworn the system turned the car off/ready mode while the temperature outside was 100 degrees. I will have to check some of this out while driving, but very interesting to say the least. We love the car, just racked up 600 miles on it with two road trips and the 70 mile drive home from the dealership.

I had to pass two cars going up hill, on our way down Del Dios Highway today. Really thought about it first, is the car going to be up to it (passed several cars in this same spot with my Boss). Well, the car is faster than I thought, and more than what most people need on a daily basis. Coupled with 40 mpg, if it was not for the Tesla, we would probably have a 328d for the next 20 years....upgrading every 5 or so.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Manufactures introducing many things to cheat on stupid governments to save on gas Gasser tax.

For sure starter - battery suffer a lots.
Who cars BMW service centers going to make $$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any tips for a first time BMW owner....328d?

No. 1 advice? avoid poor/bad quality diesel. Buy only from a name brand station that sells a lot of diesel. Do not use brand x to save .10/ gallon. Bad diesel contaminated with water/gas/other will ruin your entire fuel system. Common rail diesel engines (all brands, not just BMW) have little or no tolerance for bad quality fuel.

Let's just say I learned the above lesson after paying out $9,400. Ok?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will try to get some pics today. We will use the same diesel that we put in her Jetta, that got up to 150K miles with NO problems. Was a great first diesel. I really like the suspension on the BMW, virtually no body roll. So here is a question, the transmission is an 8 speed? I put it in manual mode and see at 80 mpg we are in 6th gear. Then, with manual mode I can shift up to 8th. In just auto mode, does it top out at 6th gear?

Dave

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes is very important get Diesel from station where Trucks buying fuels
I was buying on the Hwy.
Other the most important things use best Synthetic Engine oil not by name only by qualities

Best Wax & Shampoo to make car clean and shiny
With the smile on your face drive baby as human and not as stupid boy from Forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts