BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By doing a search, I discovered that the E46 Business CD units made after Sept. 2004 will play MP3 files.

Before I start, I'd appreciate any words of wisdom. CDR or CDRW?

Put the files in playlists?

any other tips.

Thanks for any help.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
CD-R. CDRWs won't play. No playlists, just files on the cd (you can put them in folders for easier organization if you wish).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD-R. CDRWs won't play. No playlists, just files on the cd (you can put them in folders for easier organization if you wish).
Thanks very much. I use a Macintosh, so instead of using I Tunes, I may just burn a few folders with songs to a CD-R, and see what develops.

Always appreciate your expertise on the many interesting questions asked in this forum, Kris.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Best way to do mp3 disk with with burning software in data mode. Basically dont use a music program like i tunes as it tries to prep it as a music disk. I know it can make the right kind but its easier to just use a normal burner program.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Business CD in my '06 plays mp3 files???? I can't wait to see, er, hear this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, I really can play 3s in my 3. Now I'm not sure ALL mp3 types (VBR and/or ABR) are playable, but in any case, thanks for the tip!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never say never. Now I would not recommend CDRWs, but they will work as I just played an entire CD-RW of mp3s in my ZHPee and they played perfectly. On top of that, I found that if the mp3 cuts (files) are in folders, you can step through the folders by pushing the little "m" button and then either the < or > button. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Heres a tip for people wanting to use cdrw's and also it helps to make sense of all the electronic equipment you read about that says not compatible with cdrw. Guess what ?
THEY ALL LIED :)

Also they told the truth to. Kinda...

Heres the skinny on it.

CDRW's when used as CDRW's only work in computers that have the driver to handle the packet writting that the CDRW format uses built in to the operating system. This applies to windows, linux, etc. Even appliances can have the driver added. But compatibility will always vary because different packet drivers are in different things. So ooold CDRW format disk normally have issues in new appliances. Computers have more drivers. Appliances have limited memory so they have just a simple driver base.

So we can see that a driver is required. So if a device isnt meant to play CDRW it wont have the driver. So it wont work, so they told the truth when they said it wasnt CDRW compatible... Kinda.

If you burn your CDRW's as regular CD's guess what :) They work. Thats why you see such and such telling you oh it worked try it. Then you go and make a CDRW disk using that drag and drop as you go stuff aka packet writting aka using the CDRW disk as a CDRW disk and then your player wont play it.

So to sum it up, make your CDRW disk as a CD when burning and it will always work.

Now your wondering why doesnt everyone just but those CDRW disk as CD's in the first place. Well theres a problem with using CDRW disk as CD's all the time. See when packet writting occurs the laser is run at 1/2 to 1/4 the normal power needed to burn a cd. The material in the CDRW disk itself is more sensitive than the material in a regular blank CD. So when you burn the CDRW disk at full power aka as a normal blank CD your actually damaging the CDRW disk. It will burn fine for x amount of times. But everytime you stick it back in the computer and erase the disk it will now have a shorter lifespan of how many times you can burn it again and erase it again.

Lets say you can reuse a CDRW disk 20 times using it as a CDRW disk. This means completely writting 650meg to 700 meg etc to it and then erasing it and putting that much back again. Used as a CD aka full power burn means you get to do this 5 to 8 times in place of the 20 times it would of done it as a CDRW.

So in conclusion you can always burn a CDRW to work in anything as long as its burned as a CD not as a CDRW. But your shortening the life of the disk pretty dramatically.

Now all this I just said ONLY covers the difference between CDRW and CD and doesnt cover the color of the disk. The color the manufacturer uses can effect compatibility. But I havent seen that problem in years. I had a sony changer in my 300zx that would not play some disk based on the color of the disk. Figured out that was based on the color of the laser. But again I havent seen that to be an issue in years with players.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

I created a CD-R with 6 folders, each of which had around 12 to 15 songs. In the Bimmer, only three folders seem to be recognized. The Business CD player calls the three it recognizes TR 01, TR 02, and TR03. Each track in the folders is then labled with a three digit number, 001, 002, etc.

Since I do not have the Radio owners manual (it is on it's way), I cannot RTFM. Anybody out there get better results?

·
Registered
87 Posts
So to sum it up, make your CDRW disk as a CD when burning and it will always work.

So in conclusion you can always burn a CDRW to work in anything as long as its burned as a CD not as a CDRW. But your shortening the life of the disk pretty dramatically.
:yikes: Uh, all I can say is in regards to these theories is... caveat emptor. :yikes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update:

I created a CD-R with 6 folders, each of which had around 12 to 15 songs. In the Bimmer, only three folders seem to be recognized. The Business CD player calls the three it recognizes TR 01, TR 02, and TR03. Each track in the folders is then labled with a three digit number, 001, 002, etc.

Since I do not have the Radio owners manual (it is on it's way), I cannot RTFM. Anybody out there get better results?
Yes. I've tried three different mp3 disk made previously and my player recognizes all folders (one disc has 12) and all tracks. The interesting "find" I made is that pushing the small "m" button between the < and > keys lets you step between folders with either the < or > buttons OR the steering wheel buttons.

Make sure "MAN" is indicated in the left corner of the CD display window before trying to change folders.

·
Lurking=Learning
32 Posts
wish my cars would do the mp3's... if you can, go with the cd-r's... less hassle and you can get them for next to nothing in bulk at places like newegg.com... I usually pick up a spindle of 100 every time I order computer parts... there are some great deals, and I've never had a problem using the cheapies... besides, at those prices you can always burn another copy... I have all my cd's ripped to FLAC on my Samba media server and just rip a new cd with k3b every time one gets too scratched from use in the car...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts