BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

So excited to take delivery of my new ride at the Welt! Unfortunately, en route to Salzburg, pulled into a parking lot with a "camouflaged" curb (it was the same color as the asphalt/road) and scraped a rim pretty decently. Not making excuses, but let's just say that Variable Sport Steering takes some getting used to and the return to center weighting definitely isn't close to my E90. Combined with the quick ratio, the end result is pretty decent curb rash. I knew this would be the case with large rims (as I have 18s on my E90) and am bummed, but not devastated.

Question is...how is the VDC nowadays on repairing/replacing curb rash? I ran a search and it seems to be hit and miss is the consensus with no promises or guarantees.

Thanks and still stoked and excited to join the ED club!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Report the curbed wheel at drop off and the wheel will be replaced at the VDC.

Hey everyone,

So excited to take delivery of my new ride at the Welt! Unfortunately, en route to Salzburg, pulled into a parking lot with a "camouflaged" curb (it was the same color as the asphalt/road) and scraped a rim pretty decently. Not making excuses, but let's just say that Variable Sport Steering takes some getting used to and the return to center weighting definitely isn't close to my E90. Combined with the quick ratio. the end result is pretty decent curb rash. I knew this would be the case with large rims (as I have 18s on my E90) and am bummed, but not devastated.

Question is...how is the VDC nowadays on repairing/replacing curb rash? I ran a search and it seems to be hit and miss is the consensus with no promises or guarantees.

Thanks and still stoked and excited to join the ED club!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Report the curbed wheel at drop off and the wheel will be replaced at the VDC.
Thanks Technic, I definitely will. It was an OMG moment, but then I know that over the ownership of the car, it's going to happen with the amount of parallel parking I do. Fingers crossed and appreciate the advice! :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I heard a couple years back, they would fix any damage on the car, but recently there was a change of policy by BMW and so it is more of a hit or miss now. I got a curb rash during my ED and reported it when I dropped off. I called the ED phone number and they said that they only fix damages if it affects the safety of your car. They do not fix wear and tear issues (which the curb rash as considered). They also said that it was up to the discretion of the guys at the VPC. To my surprise, when I picked up my car, they replaced my wheel. My car was at the Oxnard, CA (Port Huemene) VPC in Aug 2015 and was stuck in VPC for 15 days.

·
Registered
753 Posts
April 2015 ED. Scratched bottom of front bumper, luggage scratched trunk sill through paint, small scratches on side mirrors all repaired at Port Hueneme VPC. 10 day delay.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your feedback, while I know it's no guarantee, I'm feeling better about it now. I realize it's just a car, but like the first ding, the first curb rash is one of those moments you just kick yourself over. I wouldn't mind a delay at all if they are able to repair/replace damage.

Fingers crossed and I'll be sure to report back upon redelivery...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I heard a couple years back, they would fix any damage on the car, but recently there was a change of policy by BMW and so it is more of a hit or miss now. I got a curb rash during my ED and reported it when I dropped off. I called the ED phone number and they said that they only fix damages if it affects the safety of your car. They do not fix wear and tear issues (which the curb rash as considered). They also said that it was up to the discretion of the guys at the VPC. To my surprise, when I picked up my car, they replaced my wheel. My car was at the Oxnard, CA (Port Huemene) VPC in Aug 2015 and was stuck in VPC for 15 days.
That's the reply I got last month when I scraped my front bumper. I was told normal wear and tear wasn't covered. To be honest my scrape wasn't normal wear and tear and it was fixed. I also had a small wheel scratch that the drop off guy noted. I had not seen it and I have no idea how it got there because it was in a recess in the wheel that couldn't have been done by a curb. It wasn't fixed.

·
BMW Angel
134 Posts
Hey guys I just got back from ED and they told us that we had the best Alliance insurance and that will cover any damages small or big to the vehicle. Even a small scratch on the rim will get taken care of. I remember I did not get this type of insurance on my 335, they told me then wear and tear doesn't get fixed only large damages. So bottom line I think the more expensive your line of vehicle the better insurance they provide. This time we got a M6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a similar situation. Dented and scratched the wheel rims at a few places when pulling into the super small parking basement at the Koln Cathedral and a Paris car park. All things taken care by the dealer as VPC did not pick up the marking/instructions at drop off. Just like new.

Allianz will pay for everything or the dealer can bill BMW.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a similar situation. Dented and scratched the wheel rims at a few places when pulling into the super small parking basement at the Koln Cathedral and a Paris car park. All things taken care by the dealer as VPC did not pick up the marking/instructions at drop off. Just like new.

Allianz will pay for everything or the dealer can bill BMW.
Thanks ravptor, that's good to hear. If I may ask, did you point out the damaged rims at drop off? Also, did you have to point it out to the dealer for them to take care of it and then they billed Allianz or did the dealer take care of it without you asking?

Thanks again and I'm already feeling a lot more comfortable driving around here :drive:

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
New strategy?

I heard a couple years back, they would fix any damage on the car, but recently there was a change of policy by BMW and so it is more of a hit or miss now. .
With this info, I think the new strategy at the end of European Delivery should change. Not only should you wash bugs off the car but you should take photos of your car, including the bumpers and wheels. This would document that other damage is shipping damage, which should morally be covered.

I had the good fortune of no curb rash in Europe and no damage on my car in two years of driving. However, recently, I found 2 areas of very minor damage, one a tiny door ding and a tiny scratch. Amazing to have 2 years of perfection!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a similar issue. Curbed the lower lip of my front bumper on a tight spiral ramp in a car park. I noted the damage on the drop off form and informed BMW ED as requested on the paperwork and they said it'll be taken care of. The lady also copied the VPC to be aware of the incoming damage. Should be alright my car is on the Torino right now and should be docked here in Baltimore tomorrow. I'll report in once I've taken final delivery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks ravptor, that's good to hear. If I may ask, did you point out the damaged rims at drop off? Also, did you have to point it out to the dealer for them to take care of it and then they billed Allianz or did the dealer take care of it without you asking?

Thanks again and I'm already feeling a lot more comfortable driving around here :drive:
Yes, had noted all the damage at drop off at Zurich - notes on paper, took photos etc. the drop off agent put in the paper work for VPC. When the car arrived, the damage was not fixed. Dealer had no questions; asked me to come back 2 days later to book time with the service center, and fixed everything. From what I understood, the dealer billed BMW. The dealer also said that BMW will bill Allianz and VPC is normally good at handling all fixes.

Relax and drive the car as you please; you will get stuff fixed. You will only drive that in Europe once so no point watching everything.

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
I wonder how much less BMW would be charging us for ED insurance (or return to their past policy of 30 days "free" insurance) if you guys would stop curbing wheels - maybe some parking practice before you go to Europe? Something is wrong, or there are a lot of curbed wheels once the car is back in the States.

Knock on wood, 17 ED's and no curbed wheels :angel: Flame suit on

·
Registered
230 Posts
For the first time in five attempts, I finally damaged an ED car during an intense search for my hotel in Merano back in May. I got some bad directions from the hotel clerk and wound up curbing my wheel backing up from a dead-end. I filled out the damage report before drop-off and was relieved to find that my wheel had been repaired when I took re-delivery. Hopefully you have the same luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
At this rate, the Welt should fit cars that will be returned in Munich (or Italy and driven to Munich) to be fitted with steel wheels for temporary European use! Just kidding!

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
At this rate, the Welt should fit cars that will be returned in Munich (or Italy and driven to Munich) to be fitted with steel wheels for temporary European use! Just kidding!
Funny ! I wasn't going to post in fear of jinxing ED #18 - an Alpina B6 with high zoot wheels. Ought to do it in the winter and get snow rubber and wheels just in case :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those above that had damage that was repaired, did you only report the damage to the agent at drop off? Or did you also file a claim with BMW NA as other threads in this forum discuss?

I've been in many parking lots here in Europe. When I can, I park in the emptiest section of the lot, furthest from the nearest car as possible. Despite this, I've been unlucky enough to be hit THREE times in four weeks. All three instances of damage are minor dings and scratches, but they are very noticeable.

Do I only report the damage to the agent at drop-off? Or to have the best chance at repair do I need to follow the process of reporting to BMW NA?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.