·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tire wear is fast on these X3. Any RFT for sale locally in NYC? Please PM me

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't wait to dump the RFTs. They generally tend to ride rougher than non RFTs. Only thing to keep in mind you'll need an alternative if you get a flat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll look at the site.

I'm at 35k and my 2nd set of ties on the X3. I changed from the Goodyear to P7, but they don't seem to last much better. I think it is the driver problem. I'm not sure they will last 6 more months when the lease is up.

for RFT... there will be a war. :)

I'm on the supporting side. Ignore the harsh ride and price, they keep me on the road and get me to a safe place. I just had a bad puncture which made me file my first ever claim to Tirerack. For my next bimmer, I'll trade the tiny little 'storage space' under the trunk floor for a $150 spare tire option in addition to RFT.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
I have a pair of pretty much brand new pirelli sottozero runflat snow tires in that size if your interested in coming to mass area haha

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll look at the site.

I'm at 35k and my 2nd set of ties on the X3. I changed from the Goodyear to P7, but they don't seem to last much better. I think it is the driver problem. I'm not sure they will last 6 more months when the lease is up.

for RFT... there will be a war. :)

I'm on the supporting side. Ignore the harsh ride and price, they keep me on the road and get me to a safe place. I just had a bad puncture which made me file my first ever claim to Tirerack. For my next bimmer, I'll trade the tiny little 'storage space' under the trunk floor for a $150 spare tire option in addition to RFT.
I drove through The Bronx on I-95 on my many trips to New England. I always thought, "Damn, I'd hate to have a flat tire here." So, I dig your rap about the benefit of RFT's, at least in NYC.

RFT's concentrate wear on the inside and outside edges, as if they are under-inflated. I especially had that problem with my RFT Goodyear LS2's. A solution is to over-inflate them. But, the cure is worse than the disease: bone-jarring ride and poor handling performance.

It's not the driver... unless you're drift-king Chris Harris. It's a combination of being RFT's and maintenance: "A.I.R.", or alignment, inflation, and rotation.

Frau Putzer literally shredded a set of Michelin "Green" Primacy's on her Honda Accord V6. Literally... there were huge chunks of rubber breaking off the tread blocks. Maybe she was sneaking up to Road Atlanta or down to Sebring for track days when I was out of town on business.

Her G01 X3 30i has OE non-RFT 245/50-19's (Bridgestone Dueler Sport A/S's). The tires started out with 10/32nds inch deep circumferential grooves in the middle and 9/32nd inch grooves on the inside and outside.

I practice "tire whispering." strictly managing A.I.R. After 8k miles, Frau Putzer's non-RFT 245/50-19's have worn down almost exactly 1/32nd of an inch in each of the 16 grooves. Tires wear faster when new, although that accelerated wear is much less with low-performance, all-season tires. But, at a wear rate of 1/32nd inch/8k miles, that means even Frau Putzer could put 40k miles on her tires and still meet BMW FS's lease turn-in requirement of having a minimum of 4/32nds inch of tread left. I'm pretty sure she hasn't improved her driving habits, since she hasn't improved any of her other bad habits.

Since the two middle groves have an extra 1/32nd inch of tread, I'm going to slightly over-inflate the tire to gradually concentrate wear in the middle of the tires to get all the grooves down to 3/32nds inch before I replace the tires. I'm expecting to get 55k miles out of the original tires.

There seems to be slightly more wear on the outer halves of the tires than on the inner halves. It's too soon to tell, since the wear is now only on the order of the resolution of my measurements. But, if that increased outer wear turns out to be real, I'll have the alignment checked. Then, I could flip the symmetric tires on the rims and get maybe an extra 10k miles out of them.

My mileage records for sets of all-season tires and practicing "tire whispering" are: 79k, 74k, 70k, 70k, 64k miles. Ironically, Frau Putzer achieved the 79k miles with the original tires on her V6 Accord, the same car she shredded those Green Primacy's with. Even the first 45k miles of the 64k mile tires were her driving, and those were on some all-season, high-performance Bridgestone's with a DOT tread wear rating of somewhere around 340. A caveat is that I wore most of those tires down to 2/32nds inch, since we don't get snow here in Floriduh.

Those Green Primacy's that Frau Putzer shredded still had between 4/32nds and 5/32nd inch of tread after 46k miles.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts