BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any way to add xenons after the fact?

1329 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  umnitza
I know it should be very expensive and would probably entail the entire lamp assy, just wondering if anyone knows if it can be done on an 04 325Ci and where to find pricing. Did a search on "adding xenons" and "xenons"and did not find anything.

TIA
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Id check out ebay thats a good start
try searching for "retrofit xenon" :thumbup:
I bought a set of xenons from Bekkers. There were identical except they didn't self-level. They cost about $1,000 back in 2001

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BI&Category_Code=bhlight3e46
Ebay is your best bet. You'll need to be patient and persistent if you want a good deal. If you're lucky, you can get a set for around $500.

These guys quoted me $750 for a set of bi-xenons: http://virtualjunkyard.us. You'll also see them on ebay.
I was told by my dealership that my 2004 325xiT was stuck with halogens as retrofitted xenons would have logical fuse and power issues with the electricity supplied by a car desinged for halogens...
And they would be right. Except they didn't mention that the car's internal control module can be re-programmed to recognize the lower current draw of the xenon lights and not trigger the fault.
fkloster said:
I was told by my dealership that my 2004 325xiT was stuck with halogens as retrofitted xenons would have logical fuse and power issues with the electricity supplied by a car desinged for halogens...
I had Xenons retrofitted to my 2001 325 Cic. I bought from Umnitza. A few minor problems initially, but Umnitza stood behind the product and it's all good now.

Besides the Xenons, I went for the double halos, matching foglights, the whole nine yards. It costed a lot, but much less than the $2+ that they charge at the dealership.
You would need around $600, plus $100 for optional angeleyes.

Attachments

I've done it; go here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

As Hack said, you'll need to have the dealership code/reprogram the LCM (light module) so they work properly. The issue isn't the reduced current draw, it's resistance - the xenons have no filament, so they appear to the LCM as a burned out bulb. The LCM reduces voltage and the ballast can't ignite - thats why they flicker.

I'm not a fan of the add-on kits, but to each his own.
thsoe xenons don't look like the xenons I have on my car (which is stock). Not sure how to explain it, it probably doesn't show up well in pictures.
His is a pre-facelift e46...? :angel:
elmalloc said:
thsoe xenons don't look like the xenons I have on my car (which is stock). Not sure how to explain it, it probably doesn't show up well in pictures.
We offer a very reasonably priced solution for this. Please check our site:)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.