BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a way to directly edit the VIN in a bin file so that I can then flash the corrected bin to my DME using JMGarageFlasher.

Why not just use WinkFP to update the VIN like everybody else, you ask?

Well, every time I try to use WinkFP to update my software, I enter my VIN, it shows the version upgrading from and to, etc., I start the upgrade and then I get:

Error 211:
Error on flash programming!
ECU does not answer IFH-0009: No response from controlunit: 11MDS43

When this occurs, my DME is bricked, and I have to reflash using JMGarageFlasher to recover. This happened the very first time I tried to update with WinkFP, and I thought I did something in the process to cause it. Turns out it happens every time I try to update with WinkFP.

I have the latency set to 1, I have two different cables and same result every time with both. Not sure what could be the cause, but other than ordering another cable hoping that is the problem, I'm looking for a way to possibly brute force the correct values into the bin file.

The car is a 2002 E53 3.0 with MS43 DME.

I'm running now with a v56 EWS delete image but it has the wrong VIN and is for the wrong car, and since I'm in CA I doubt I'll get through Smog with the wrong VIN in my ECU.

I found a v55 Bin for the e53 3.0 online, but can't run it as it is not EWS delete. I could try to do an EWS delete on that bin, but will still need to program the VIN to get through smog no matter what.

The DME is original to the car, with factory label, but unfortunately I don't have an original BIN image for the car.

So the only clear way out that I know would work is to direct edit a good bin and flash the whole image via boot mode.

I've looked at the BIN with Tunerpro but don't see a way of setting the VIN.

Help appreciated...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 more things - Yes, the ignition is on in position 2. Also, someone else had an issue with failing updates and fixed it by increasing the read/write timeouts on the COM port to 1000. I tried that but no luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got help for this over on the Cartechnology forums.

https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=46028&pid=418101#pid418101

If you are using a regular cheapo K+DCAN cable OR anytime you are trying to program the MS43 DME, you have to disable Fastbaudrate in the Winkfp options.

Doesnt' seem like that simple switch should brick your DME, but it did for me, every time.

Updates via winkfp are working now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts