BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have factory HID headlights on my 3.0si. However, the halo lights are not particular bright as I have seen compared to other bimmers that do not use LED halos.

A while ago I was testing out the wiring for my headlights and found that the wire for the halos was made to be significantly dim compared to the low beam and fog light. The way I tested it was I placed the fog light wire into the plug for the halos and they showed to be much dimmer. Unless somehow the previous owners programmed the halo lights differently, I see no reason for the halo wire to provide less voltage than the low beams and fog lights.

Now I haven't seen other e85's halos, so maybe I'm mistaken and they are supposed to be this bright?

https://i.imgur.com/Z1s9IEA.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remove the bulb assembly, drill a small hole against the bulb body to release the pins. It is a standard bulb inside you do not need to pay for the overpriced BMW lamp assembly! Replace the 10W bulb with one of these OSRAM Light Bulb 12V 20 W H20W BA9S HALOGEN 64115. No issue with excessive heat or current draw. Sorted!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Remove the bulb assembly, drill a small hole against the bulb body to release the pins. It is a standard bulb inside you do not need to pay for the overpriced BMW lamp assembly! Replace the 10W bulb with one of these OSRAM Light Bulb 12V 20 W H20W BA9S HALOGEN 64115. No issue with excessive heat or current draw. Sorted!
Be careful with this option as way back when I bought my car (2009) there was a big discussion about upgrading to 20w bulbs. I actually still have two 20w bulbs I purchased and planned to install until a well respected forum member who has now passed away did some testing and found the 20w bulbs started melting the housing. I would go for the LED option linked. You will likely have to code out an error warning for the LEDS. I have yet to do any upgrade in this area because of the hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may be separated by geography! We have members here that are using the 20W bulbs in their AE's without any issue for months, and have been monitoring temperatures, however it may be that we in the UK live in a generally cooler climate than many of you in the US. I don't know, but, "modify at your own risk" I think covers it !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have access to a Volt Meter to verify 12VDC going to the Bulb? If bulb is rated at 12VDC then I don't see any cause why you shouldn't go for 12VDC input.
I have a 2010 328i E90 and at this point I am at stand still choosing the reasonably priced AE bulb to replace the stock. I am torn among 10Wx2 Cree LED (Custom retrofit) or Slim H3C 35W Xenon bulb or go with OEM 63117311243. Till then I cannot test AE power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts