Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
goodfella said:
regret getting the x and anyone wish they got the x? Why?
um..."X" as in AWD? The xi's come with the attendant increase in ride height. My wife wanted AWD for trips on slippery surfaces. I wanted her to continue to attend to my needs for trips into slippery places.

·
10,856 Posts
Don't regret getting it... But unless BMW offers something a bit more competitive in the wagon department, I expect my next car will be an Audi.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Don't regret getting it... But unless BMW offers something a bit more competitive in the wagon department, I expect my next car will be an Audi.
C'mon, we all know you want to cave in and get that Escalade EXT you've always wanted. :bigpimp:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
My only regret is that it didn't snow enough last year to really give it a work out:(

I could stand a little less body roll but hopefully UCC will take care of that eventually:dunno:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PM 325xiT said:
My only regret is that it didn't snow enough last year to really give it a work out:(
that was something of a downer last winter. OTOH, yesterday's autocross on a very wet lot was quite the experience in terms of AWD fun, although probably not time (at least not with my driving)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

that was something of a downer last winter. OTOH, yesterday's autocross on a very wet lot was quite the experience in terms of AWD fun, although probably not time (at least not with my driving)
Fun is good :thumbup:

You don't need to be the fatest, just have a safe ride and learn a little:)

Let's hope for a rougher winter this year;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
No regrets here regarding getting a 330xi. Lots of power and handling with just enough winter traction to not have to worry about getting up and down my steep driveway. A 330xiT would have been nice though.....

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
No regrets here! This is the most fun car I have ever owned. If you are looking for a RWD coupe to drive on the track, then don't go xi. BUT if you are looking for a great daily driver with good space for gear and people that handles good when the weather isn't the the xi is a great bet.

When I got my 330xi I was shopping for an SUV. I drove the bimmer on a lark and fell in love. Much more sport than any supposed sport utility vehicle and more versatile too. I can drive 100 mph when the conditions allow and I can bang through the snow and rain too

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
happy with the decision. would not change a thing. best car I have ever owned

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Re: Re: Any x owners...

clyde325xiT said:

um..."X" as in AWD? The xi's come with the attendant increase in ride height. My wife wanted AWD for trips on slippery surfaces. I wanted her to continue to attend to my needs for trips into slippery places.
I can't top that but here's my thoughts so far. Last year's mild winter has me on the fence. The AWD didn't get enough of a workout to matter much. I don't think there is any issue to argue in favor of the increased ride height. It gives up more in body roll and handling feel for no real world gain. Since the vehicle can be lowered I'm assuming it wasn't an engineering necessity. You'd have to really be plowing through some deep snow (like 6" unplowed) for it to ever even matter. As for wet traction I don't think that is a reason to get AWD. A good set of tires that expel water is more important and DSC will take care of the rest.

So, it is still a blast to drive and will handle any sane high spirited driving you throw at it with ease and aplomb. But, just knowing that it could have been slightly better nags at my mind just enough to think that next time if the engineering situation in the lineup is the same when the lease is up I'll probably go for the RWD coupe.

Of course if it snows like crazy this winter I might be singing a different tune next summer.:dunno:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Re: Any x owners...

Topaz330xi said:

I can't top that but here's my thoughts so far. Last year's mild winter has me on the fence. The AWD didn't get enough of a workout to matter much. I don't think there is any issue to argue in favor of the increased ride height. It gives up more in body roll and handling feel for no real world gain. Since the vehicle can be lowered I'm assuming it wasn't an engineering necessity. You'd have to really be plowing through some deep snow (like 6" unplowed) for it to ever even matter. As for wet traction I don't think that is a reason to get AWD. A good set of tires that expel water is more important and DSC will take care of the rest.

So, it is still a blast to drive and will handle any sane high spirited driving you throw at it with ease and aplomb. But, just knowing that it could have been slightly better nags at my mind just enough to think that next time if the engineering situation in the lineup is the same when the lease is up I'll probably go for the RWD coupe.

Of course if it snows like crazy this winter I might be singing a different tune next summer.:dunno:

Thanks. I pretty much decided on a ti silver blk ette 330i sp, rs, tl and good winters.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Re: Re: Any x owners...

clyde325xiT said:
My wife wanted AWD for trips on slippery surfaces. I wanted her to continue to attend to my needs for trips into slippery places.
Whoa! :yikes: LMAO! :lmao:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Any x owners...

Topaz330xi said:
I figure that it will only take one event where I can trick myself into thinking that things would have been much worse without AWD for me to put my mind to rest. After I get another car, and this becomes my wife's daily driver, I won't worry as much when she's out and the weather turns to shit. Or, if/when we sell it, if we get more for it than a RWD, well...that's just more money to go to the next car...which is rarely a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any x owners...

clyde325xiT said:
I figure that it will only take one event where I can trick myself into thinking that things would have been much worse without AWD for me to put my mind to rest. After I get another car, and this becomes my wife's daily driver, I won't worry as much when she's out and the weather turns to shit. Or, if/when we sell it, if we get more for it than a RWD, well...that's just more money to go to the next car...which is rarely a bad thing.
I know. It's really nitpicking on my part and I probably wouldn't have ever thought about if I hadn't owned 2 BMW's prior to this one. You have to give the 330i & 330ci folks something though considering that C&D says I'm faster in a straight line.;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only had it for a month (as of today), but here are my thoughts...

There is no doubt in my mind that I would rather have the Xi. Admittedly, the i cornered slightly better and was slightly easier to drive (standard, of course) than the Xi, but there are a few reasons I'm happy with my purchase.

1) The peace of mind the Xi gives me is worth the loss in handling in and of itself. I'm probably tricking myself into overconfidence, but my DSC hasn't even tripped yet and I've thrown myself into some tight turns adding enough throttle to kick out the back on an i. 2) I'll be moving back to a place where the mountains and snow are plentiful (Colorado). I feel much better having an Xi, in addition to being able to get through the Eisenhower in restricted conditions. 3) I actually like the extra ride height, despite the looks and slight loss of handling. I can go over speed bumps, up steep driveways, ect. without excessive worry about airdams and scrapage. 4) It's very plausible I'll be going through at least 6" of unplowed snow. 5) I'm buying the Xi sways as soon as they come out. I suspect that this will change the cornering dynamics considerably without affecting my (wanted) increased ride height.

I suspect I'll now be flamed for trading practicality for pure driving pleasure :D

Just adding my $.02.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
pres330xi said:

I suspect I'll now be flamed for trading practicality for pure driving pleasure :D
Do you really think that more than a handful of people here could tell the difference between an i and xi if they were equipped with the same wheel size and tires and you could match the amount of body roll and lower the ride height to that of an i? :dunno:

I mean there are people here who think that their coupes are sports cars for chirst sake :flipoff:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Previous "xi" owner

I took delivery of my 2001 325xi in October of 2000 and was content through the winter. The road I lived on was only paved (and plowed) only to our driveway, with the rest being gravel and not maintained. I once drove my car down the unmaintained part after a snow, about 8-10", and the car handled great! I did notice though last winter when I had "questionable" tires it did not handle as well.

Personally, when I found a used 2001 330 in manual transmission, I traded my xi in immediately. In dry conditions I wasn't impressed - but keep in mind my xi was auto, which I believe makes a huge difference.

Ask me at the end of this winter if I'll convert back to the xi as I don't think my 330ci is going to like the snow - the little priss doens't even like rain! :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I neglected to mention, when my friend Daniel drove my 325xi, I was very impressed. I think it also has a lot to do with the driver's ability, he really utilized the step much better than I ever did, then again the little "red" area makes me nervous! :)

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
he he he

Oh, the red area is our friend Jenea:bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts