BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a New York customer and I'm waiting for the Asian Emperor to depart Halifax and dock at the NJ/NY port on March 6th.

The ship will be arriving about 4 weeks after the original delivery date and I'm curious whether it will be delayed further.

Has anyone else ever experienced a delay as a result of damage that occurred during transit? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Does BMW offer any additional discounts to make up for the delay? Do customers have the option of taking their business elsewhere, without incurring any financial penalties? Is there anything BMW could do to have the vehicles shipped via an alternative method (i.e. train, truck, another boat, etc.)?

For those of you waiting at Halifax, have your CAs offered any new information with regard to the ship's status and if it will arrive by next week?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My CA indicated that BMW FS officially announced today that due to unexpected boat delay all customers with sold cars will get extension on their December approvals.

My understanding is that people like me who used incentives that were applied for december sales and were due to expire 2/28 will not have to worry about losing those incentives. We just have to worry that we won't have car:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, if our cars aren't moved to the Don Juan, that would be terrible customer service. I wish there was a way to submit this story to sites like Jalopnik so they can let the public know. maybe something would be done then!

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
It's bad luck that this ship suffered damage but it's misplaced to blame BMW. They didn't cause the damage and have little control over the logistics. It's not like there are empty ships waiting to transport the Asian Emperor cargo. Who knows if there's room on the Don Juan? I don't know how this will be solved.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,099 Posts
It's bad luck that this ship suffered damage but it's misplaced to blame BMW. They didn't cause the damage and have little control over the logistics. It's not like there are empty ships waiting to transport the Asian Emperor cargo. Who knows if there's room on the Don Juan? I don't know how this will be solved.
Please, do not inject logic into this discussion. There is no place here for that kind of talk. BMW should have used their fairy dust and everyone knows it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My upcoming 435 is on the damaged Asian Emperor. I contacted my CA and I was informed that until the car arrives at the United States port that nothing can be done. I hope BMW makes up for this by offering the affected customers some form of compensation.

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
I think everyone is aware it is not BMW's fault. But it's the cost of doing business to make it right.
No it's not. What are they supposed to do, charter a ship? As you can see, since the destination charge is already expensive, no way is BMW going to give pay millions to make this right. It's not their fault. The reality is that there is probably no liability for acts of nature although there is probably insurance coverage for the damage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No it's not. What are they supposed to do, charter a ship? As you can see, since the destination charge is already expensive, no way is BMW going to give pay millions to make this right. It's not their fault. The reality is that there is probably no liability for acts of nature although there is probably insurance coverage for the damage.
So let's just say you buy a brand new camera from bestbuy.com. Shipped in perfect condition from their warehouse via UPS to your doorstep. Along the way, the box gets badly damaged scratches your shiny new camera. you are gonna tell me that you wouldn't be on the phone with best buy immediately and wouldn't be pissed if they were just like, "well it's not our fault since i didn't ship it. We will just send you some touch up paint for your brand new shiny camera. call UPS if you have a problem"

No, best buy would make it right and send you a brand new camera immediately. No questions asked. COST OF DOING BUSINESS!

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
So let's just say you buy a brand new camera from bestbuy.com. Shipped in perfect condition from their warehouse via UPS to your doorstep. Along the way, the box gets badly damaged scratches your shiny new camera. you are gonna tell me that you wouldn't be on the phone with best buy immediately and wouldn't be pissed if they were just like, "well it's not our fault since i didn't ship it. We will just send you some touch up paint for your brand new shiny camera. call UPS if you have a problem"

No, best buy would make it right and send you a brand new camera immediately. No questions asked. COST OF DOING BUSINESS!
That's not what I'm arguing. If these cars have been damaged, BMW will repair them as good as new or replace them if they are that badly mangled. I'm talking about compensation for the delay due to the storm that caused the damage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This moderator has been banning people left and right if they disagree with whatever he says. He just placed a temporary ban on the OP. Talk about abuse of power.

Anyway, before I get banned, I'd like to say that the Asian Emperor, according to my sources, has undergone a complete overhaul in the engine bay as well as its starboard hull. It will more than likely be delayed through March and into early April.

I was one of the unfortunate ones to have damaged vehicle aboard the ship. But honestly, if you guys don't get your cars by next week. You should ask your CAs to reorder your vehicle or go to another dealership that has an allocation.

Good luck everyone.
terrible news :cry:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.