BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I AM CANADIAN!
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a scale model of it, need more pictures of the interior, and the engine compartment. (hello, Alpina nut? :D )

While we're on the topic of Alpina, can anybody explain to me how does Alpina name their cars? I see there's a sedan and coupe version of the B7 :confused: ?! And the E36 has a few names like B3 and B6? What gives? :confused:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Where's our buddy Vince? Haven't "heard" from him lately...

Maybe Alex B. can help you out in the morning...

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Toast said:
While we're on the topic of Alpina, can anybody explain to me how does Alpina name their cars? I see there's a sedan and coupe version of the B7 :confused: ?! And the E36 has a few names like B3 and B6? What gives? :confused:
There is no link to the engine type, for example the B6 3.5 and B10 3.5 had the same engine. So did the B8 4.6 and the B10 V8...the only real rule of thumb is that the lower numbers usually refer to the 2002/3 series (eg A1, A2, A3, A4, B3, B6, B8, C1, C2), the medium numbers to the 5/6 series (eg B7, B9, B10, D10) and the highest numbers to the 7/8 series (eg B11, B12)

Originally it was the evolution cycle of the engine employed in that model, i.e. the B10 was theoretically the 10th version of that engine (3.5) the B9 before it was the 9th etc, but now it appears to follow the series it's modelled on.

As for the interior pics I'm looking for them. If I find any I'll post it here and PM you.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hey all!

well, I have been rather crippled with the lack of broadband. Hence, hasn't been that active reading the board lately. :( Stupid dialup...

Here is picture of Alpina B7:

Haven't seen any other model pictures. But do try to visit the Alpina forum at bmwm5.com. Post around there and I am sure you will get tons of replies. ;)

--------

So, why am I in Singapore? Family matters to settle. Should be back in the US mid-June or so. Haven't been back in S'pore for almost 2.5 years. And during which, my dad got a 2001 E38 728i (was E32 730i) and my mum bought an 2001 E39 520i (was E36 320i).

E38 728i:
Perhaps the most perculiar engine setup for a 7er. But yes, it can be found in Singapore. Believe it or not, it was available in 5-speed too. This car is probably fully loaded except for moon-roof (not a popular option for the humid weather in Singapore). Came with DSP too. Also, the car is equipped Electronic Damping Control!!! Wow! Needless to say, I took it to a winding road and the 7er negotiated the bends like a 3er. Though I wished it was a 740i. :( (For those who didn't know, Singapore taxes car owners according to the size of the engines. Hence the reason why 316s, 318s are so popular here.)

E39 520i:
Ok, mum isn't exactly an aggressive driver. So there isn't any sport package on this E39. Equipped with Angel Eyes nonetheless. Oh, this 520i is actually equipped with a 2.2L engine. 170bhp. Not much to brag about in terms of power. Still the car handles like it should be. 16" wheels though... :( And I am planning on replacing with Alpina. :D

Anyhoo, my first meet with the local chapter is this Sunday. Hopefully, I can snap some pictures soon. :) And there won't be 17 year olds with M3, cos E46 M3 commands a price tag of US$180,000 (tax and misc fee inclusive) here. E39 M5 about US$300,000. Don't bother about Z8... :tsk:

A quiz for everyone. Guess the colours of the E38 and E39. :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
A quiz for everyone. Guess the colours of the E38 and E39. :D
Hope you're having great time there.

As for the colors, hmmm.... let me see : Topas green ? :D

·
10,856 Posts
The 728i 5spd seemed pretty popular in England when I was over there... Saw a surprising number of them.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hey Vince,

When I was in Thailand this week, I saw advertisements for 323i, is that the same in Singapore? I also read somewhere that BMWs are assembled over there (at least in Thailand) in kits. Is that the same in Singapore?

As for colors, let me see... I know for some Asians, blue is not a favorite color (Ausgang should know)...So, maybe red? hehe :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
DaveN323i said:
... I know for some Asians, blue is not a favorite color (Ausgang should know)...So, maybe red? hehe :D
What about Alee:dunno: The Ultimate Blue Lover:D

My guess ASAV (as far as Vince).......white or Topaz

·
I AM CANADIAN!
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help provided. :)

AlexB: looking forward to your findings of the interior picturesm andit would be great if you can find a few engine pics, as the model kit I bought has completely inaccurate painting instructions :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts