Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 530i that I’m fixing up. I’m replacing the entire suspension and debating on replacing the valve body even though I don’t have any transmission codes. It has sport suspension and ARS. I’m considering taking it to the track for one of the touring events they host for normal cars. Anybody else do this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can take almost anything to the track and you'll probably have fun but don't count on setting any records! Make sure you've got lots of brake pad and fresh brake fluid.

I was instructing one weekend at Buttonwillow when a student showed up with a 4 cylinder stick shift (5 speed Floor?) standard cab S-10 pickup. He actually showed some driving talent and I felt so badly for him that for the last session of the day I let him drive my Z4. He allowed as how there was quite a difference!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can take almost anything to the track and you'll probably have fun but don't count on setting any records! Make sure you've got lots of brake pad and fresh brake fluid.

I was instructing one weekend at Buttonwillow when a student showed up with a 4 cylinder stick shift (5 speed Floor?) standard cab S-10 pickup. He actually showed some driving talent and I felt so badly for him that for the last session of the day I let him drive my Z4. He allowed as how there was quite a difference!
Yeah I know, I just wasn't sure if the transmission could take it or not. Brakes aren't an issue.

Yeah won't be setting any lap records, but I think it'll still be enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have e60 550i done a trans service at 145,000kms genuine zf parts and oil, was tracked before service and after service trans is alot cooler and seems to shift nicer and had no issues, jist actualy done the alpina flash aswell so much better havent been on track with the flash tho

·
Registered
2009 BMW 550i
499 Posts
i have e60 550i done a trans service at 145,000kms genuine zf parts and oil, was tracked before service and after service trans is alot cooler and seems to shift nicer and had no issues, jist actualy done the alpina flash aswell so much better havent been on track with the flash tho
Tell me about the Alpina flash for your trans. I've been looking for some first-hand testimonials before pursuing it any further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i basically done it last night so just one drive under the belt, i havent reset trans adaptions im unsure if i should or not, but a very smooth but fast gear change in D and S is alot sharper same with M mode still auto upshifts in M mode, seems to change earlier in D and S mode seems to take advantage of the torque better previous flash would rev the car to redline sometimes even revlimit not a chance with this flash, i also notice this flash always starts in 2nd D and S mode unless you hit the kickdown button on the floor.
my previous flash always start in 1st gear.
i read that it was to combat complaints about clucking into 1st gear when coming to a standstill,
oh gear display in every mode is cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts