BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be applying some tomorrow to my fogs and headlights. I also want to tape up the lower lip on the air dam and portions of the fenders. Anybody have experience using the tape? Will it leave behind any residue on the paint when I take it off? My car is filthy, it is raining, and I will probably have to tape it up when it's wet. Trying to decide whether to leave the painted portions alone or not. :dunno:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Chris330ci said:
I will be applying some tomorrow to my fogs and headlights. I also want to tape up the lower lip on the air dam and portions of the fenders. Anybody have experience using the tape? Will it leave behind any residue on the paint when I take it off? My car is filthy, it is raining, and I will probably have to tape it up when it's wet. Trying to decide whether to leave the painted portions alone or not. :dunno:
i use racer tape, and they came off clean all the time, no residue.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I have so many chips and pits, I don't think it matters anymore
No kidding - I've noticed last time I washed the car that the front of the car around the grill area looks like it's been sandblasted. Paint chips very easily...or perhaps it's just more noticable on darker colors....

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Just use the blue painters tape available at any home improvement store - it's about $2 for a big roll that lasts several track events. It comes off very easily without leaving any residue.

·
5,820 Posts
Chris330ci said:

Contrary to my anti-hijack ideals, I guess it's ok to hijack my own thread. The Olds looks great!
Now all I need is someone to come look at it. I got my buddy's $58k 2001 740I sport sold for him this week. Hope I have the same luck.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
johnlew said:

Now all I need is someone to come look at it. I got my buddy's $58k 2001 740I sport sold for him this week. Hope I have the same luck.
That sounds like an easy sell. I love the 740i Sport. Black? Silver? Those are by far my favorites colors. Just target the right audience and the Olds should be gone in no time.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GalBimmer said:
My experience has been that the tape comes off nicely. You're going to have to come to grips with the paint chips now that you're hitting the track.

Can you handle it?
My car is disgustingly dirty. I went out to check my tire pressure and it was just that nasty mist outside. I don't think paint chips will bother me at this point. Maybe I'll tape up the whole car..? ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts