BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Bo's ready for the Big 10
28,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my father to Texas Motor Speedway in April for the Busch race. We are sitting 28 rows up from the track so we will be able to see the whole track. Is there anything we should bring or know. I figure they sell ear plugs already.

· Needs more cowbell
4,564 Posts
Robsa said:
I'm taking my father to Texas Motor Speedway in April for the Busch race. We are sitting 28 rows up from the track so we will be able to see the whole track. Is there anything we should bring or know. I figure they sell ear plugs already.
I think you both need those two-beer and straw baseball caps :rofl:

Seriously, binoculars and sunscreen should be enough.

· 2 pieces dry white toast
1,099 Posts
Robsa said:
buy earplugs before you go...unless you want to pay $10 for a $0.10 item.

Sunscreen
Hat
More sunscreen

· Do the interns get Glocks
9,494 Posts
Bring a towl so that you can wipe the sweat from the shirtless beer chugging ******* sitting next to you off of your arm every time he stands up to see whats going on.

Ask me how I know this... :tsk:

· howdy
279 Posts
Radio with headphones for commentary and (some) exterior noise reduction. The crowd at the race I went to two summers ago was no worse than an NFL game, and much more well behaved than your typical outdoor large ampitheater rock-concert crowd.

· Registered
590 Posts
Earplugs. Towel. Money. Hat. Sunscreen. Drink waterand take two aspirin (advil, whatever) before you go. Bring more advil - everytime I've gone I get a headache, I think from the heat and eating crap (boy do I like nachos). It's hot, you'll get dehydrated sitting in the sun drinking beer, and it gets hot at TMS fast. Consider a scanner and headphones (or you can rent them) - it's fun to hear the race chatter.

My husband covers motorsports - I've been to a couple of tracks - he's been to them all.

· Premium Member
8,788 Posts
Andy said:
...I'm guessing because you enjoy the sport… no? :dunno:
I didn't think driving in a circle and play high-speed bumper cars requires any skills :eeps:

· Registered
323 Posts
Robsa said:
It is an experience.

You can buy earplugs everywhere. Just take water.

I've been to Atlanta and Charlotte. I think attending one Nascar event should be mandatory for any auto enthusiast, but I prefer IMSA events more. It can be real entertaining.

I think it was at Atlanta where this woman a couple of rows in front of us had to stand and give a thumbs up to some car as they went by - each and every time. She followed the car through the turn with a tumb up - like the driver could see her. :rofl: Her signifigant other, who could have kicked the azz of everyone sitting on my row, didn't seem to mind his woman was acting like a total fool.

I believe one of the races was like BYOB - only cans instead of bottles. It's been so long I forget.

When there is a wreck, it's like New Years Eve at Times Square.

Some fans are very sensative about certain drivers. These types are those that believe wrestling might be real. We saw a shouting match in the parking lot at Charlotte between two rival car factions.

The Ford people diss the Chevy people and visa versa.

Pick a car and put money on it against some friends. That'll make the race a little more interesting.

· Bo's ready for the Big 10
28,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know you could rent headphones to hear the drivers talk. My father is handicapped and LOVES NASCAR so this will probably be the only race he ever sees so I want to make sure we have everything.

· Premium Member
8,788 Posts
nosoule46 said:
NASCAR

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around

Ain't dat one of dem "B M dubbayahs?"
:bustingup :AF330i: :bow:

:thumbup:

· Registered
10 Posts
I've never been to a NASCAR event, but spent the last ten years at various Champ Car and ALMS events. I like to take a stopwatch to check the interval between cars. If the field gets strung out on a long run without yellows, a stopwatch helps you figure out if someone is gaining on the driver ahead of him.

I'll repeat the advice to drink plenty of water, wear plenty of sunscreen and rent a scanner. Buy the ear plugs before you get to the track as they are WAY overpriced once you get there.

Watching a race at the track is very different from watching one on TV, you will love it. Also, be sure to tape the TV coverage and watch it when you get home. They get cameras into places you won't be able to see. Action in the pits, mechanical problems, and the like are usually explained during the broadcast, but much less obvious when you are sitting in the stands.

Enjoy!

Scott

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.