Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife finally gave me the approval for a new car :). I had a 2016 G12 about 1.5 years ago. I gave it up for one reason or the other and got an S550. I like the S550 but my wife drives it full time now.

My plan was to get another 750i since i missed it so much, but I now feel like i want something different and i've been looking at the quattroporte. I'm intrigued by it.

Any thoughts on the quattroporte vs the G12. I would be going to test drive the quattroporte this weekend.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My vote is for the G12...Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Better Seat Controls, Longer wheel base, Window Shades, HUD, just to name a few options.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I’m not a fan of the G12. I think BMW focused on a world car rather than a German car and squandered an opportunity with that one. I see a fair share of G12s in L.A., and it’s a wallflower IMO here in the land of pretty cars. Maseratis are very popular, but I don’t hear good things about their reliability. My guess would be the reason for their popularity is because they lease very favorably. Honestly, I think the S Class, Panamera, A8, and LS500 FSport are the cars to consider among executive sport sedans right now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are right on Maserati having great deals. I'm seeing some really good deals out there.

I live in Dallas, so the G12 still stands out pretty well here. I'm just not sold on the LS500 just yet. We already have an S in the household. I'm sure the new A8 would be wonderful, but not sure what deals would look like .
I have the Maserati and G12 as my top 2. I know the G12 would offer more tech tho.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I think you are right on Maserati having great deals. I'm seeing some really good deals out there.

I live in Dallas, so the G12 still stands out pretty well here. I'm just not sold on the LS500 just yet. We already have an S in the household. I'm sure the new A8 would be wonderful, but not sure what deals would look like .
I have the Maserati and G12 as my top 2. I know the G12 would offer more tech tho.
The new LS wasn’t on my radar either. However, I was just in Palm Desert where I saw a totally blacked-out LS500 FSport and it really looked good! If I were you, I’d be test driving the hell out of this field. These kinds of opportunities don’t come around that often!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not a fan of the G12. I think BMW focused on a world car rather than a German car and squandered an opportunity with that one. I see a fair share of G12s in L.A., and it’s a wallflower IMO here in the land of pretty cars. Maseratis are very popular, but I don’t hear good things about their reliability. My guess would be the reason for their popularity is because they lease very favorably. Honestly, I think the S Class, Panamera, A8, and LS500 FSport are the cars to consider among executive sport sedans right now.
My vote is for the G12...Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Better Seat Controls, Longer wheel base, Window Shades, HUD, just to name a few options.
The new LS wasn’t on my radar either. However, I was just in Palm Desert where I saw a totally blacked-out LS500 FSport and it really looked good! If I were you, I’d be test driving the hell out of this field. These kinds of opportunities don’t come around that often!

I probably should and would to an extent. I just hope I'm able to give each car an equal chance...lol

·
6 RINGS
8,426 Posts
New A8 won’t have any deals as Audi’s mainly lease horribly. 18 QP was updated with led headlights and more tech and you can’t beat that sound. New LS is nice but only offered in v6 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
New A8 won’t have any deals as Audi’s mainly lease horribly. 18 QP was updated with led headlights and more tech and you can’t beat that sound. New LS is nice but only offered in v6 so far.

Only twin turbo V6 for the LSs.

https://youtu.be/dZNLWGJykMg

·
Registered
10 Posts
QP v. 7 - personal experience

I owned them back to back - went from a 2014 QP (3 liter V6) to a 2017 750i x-drive M package. My views:

1. QP is more sporty of the two. I loved the engine roar (probably the main reason i bought it). However, the same engine roar gave me a headache on a 400 mile drive - its just a constant loud noise that grows old after a while. The handling at the limits is better in the QP -more assured, higher speeds on ramps, flatter cornering. None of this is instrumented, of course, just how I felt. I've been caught out a couple of times in the 7 taking turns too fast that were easy in the QP. It's entirely possible that my actual speed going into the turn is higher in the 7 because its so much quieter and smoother.

2. Acceleration in the 7 is quicker and with much less drama. Sometimes I miss the drama of the QP though. The brembo brakes in the QP were just sensational......bmw's are not as good in stopping distance or confidence. The QP brakes would squeal though which the dealer said is standard for the type of high-performance material used in the brakes. I did need new brakes during my lease (about 20 months in) for a cost of about $3,500 from memory. The new ones squealed too. You could make it the noise go down a bit by braking really hard a few times - apparently that takes off some melted material from the surface:dunno:

3. The QP came with performance/summer tires as standard (apparently they can't advertise the 170 odd mph top speed and sell it without summer tires). That meant getting snow tires and a minimum of 2 trips a year to the dealer - Mavis etc. refused to work on the Maserati (insurance issues). The QP with the winter tires was unstoppable though - amazing confidence-inspiring handling and braking in ice, snow and slush. Obviously you won't take it through 6" of snow given how low it is. Which reminds me: it would bottom out in the front at times leaving gas stations etc. The license plate hangs a few inches lower than the bottom of the front bumper.

4. BMW comes with all-seasons and mine has low profile run-flat tires. I have had the car since August of last year and have gone through 4 tires. Its covered by tire insurance but the hassle of going to the dealer every six weeks is getting old. A single proper NY style pothole will kill a tire. The same sized but non-run flat tires (summer and winter) in the QP were fine over 36,000 miles/39 months in NY driving, including daily driving into the city (which i don't do as much in the 7). Talking about driving in the city - most garages will hit you with a $5 or $10 'exotic' surcharge for parking and a couple of garages refused to let me park it there. No such issues with the 7.

5. The Italian things in the QP were great - leather, engine, chassis etc. The stuff from Detroit not so much - switches, navigation, radio, etc. The Garmin navigation, while functional, was an embarrassment for a $100k+ car. The radio would randomly stop working and then start again. BMW is flawless in this regard - amazing tech that works, superb refinement and very natural controls all around.

6. The QP eats battery when parked. Shortly after I got the car, I had to travel out of town for 3 weeks. I came back excited to drive the car again but it was dead. The dealer did give me a trickle charger which got the car back to life after charging overnight. Since then, I would always leave the car on charge whenever I went out of town.

7. A fair few recalls etc. on the QP. The most serious was something about bolts with rear axle etc. that could cause it to fall off - apparently due to terrible roads here in NY. Other than that, the usual maintenance. I bought a maintenance package so it was all covered.

Net, net, if I had a do-over, I would probably still get a QP once, just for the novelty factor - I was getting really bored of the germans. But, there is a reason the germans sell as many luxury sedans as they do.

Hope this helps your decision

·
Registered
10 Posts
A couple of items i forgot to mention on the QP:

1. In the beginning, there was some issue with the spark plugs - they changed them 2 or 3 times (check engine light and misfiring) each of which required trips to the dealer.
2. You can't change the battery in the remote (at least I couldn't). The battery compartment is held together by a tiny torx screw which is covered in loctite which meant even after a trip to home depot for the right torx screw driver I couldn't open it and didn't want to wear off the head. So, another trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Zaim. Insightful write up. Surprised that the 7 accelerated faster than th QP then again might be the V8 in the 7. Thanks for your input.

·
Relax, Take It Easy
34 Posts
So my wife finally gave me the approval for a new car :). I had a 2016 G12 about 1.5 years ago. I gave it up for one reason or the other and got an S550. I like the S550 but my wife drives it full time now.

My plan was to get another 750i since i missed it so much, but I now feel like i want something different and i've been looking at the quattroporte. I'm intrigued by it.

Any thoughts on the quattroporte vs the G12. I would be going to test drive the quattroporte this weekend.
Look at the Alpina B7. Its the best of both cars... Drive one.

·
6 RINGS
8,426 Posts
Definitely get pre paid maintenance if you get the QP. That car has an amazing sound and presence.

·
BMW Individual
127 Posts
I can imagine the loud Maserati getting tiring. That's why I drive the 7 over the 911 turbo on a daily basis...

·
Relax, Take It Easy
34 Posts
I can imagine the loud Maserati getting tiring. That's why I drive the 7 over the 911 turbo on a daily basis...
Or if your wife will only allow one car get the Alpina B7. Best of the 7 and 911 in one car :thumbup:

Love the 911, just couldn't do it daily.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A Maserati is rolling art and is something you buy so other people can see it. A G12 is something you buy for yourself (and those who ride with you). I love my G12. If I were buying a Maserati, I would have to go with the GT.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. Kinda disappointed in the whole maserati having chrysler parts. Definitely leaning towards the G12 again as I feel i will miss out on the tech!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts