1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
143 Posts
A guy at m3forum did a dyno test on the elbow/duct, and gained like 10~15 rwhp from 7200rpm to 8100rpm.

here's the post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=184378

I was looking for the Streamline version, but a lot of dealers stopped carrying it. It's great you found another brand that makes it.....

20hp+ gain is not out of reach with this duct and RPI intake...for approxi $300? I'm sold

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A guy at m3forum did a dyno test on the elbow/duct, and gained like 10~15 rwhp from 7200rpm to 8100rpm.

here's the post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=184378

I was looking for the Streamline version, but a lot of dealers stopped carrying it. It's great you found another brand that makes it.....

20hp+ gain is not out of the reach with this duct and RPI intake...for approxi $300? I'm sold
Great find on that post. Looks like it should work and if it does not it is not such a high risk!

·
Registered
485 Posts
well i was looking at the dyno charts...it looks like the arm itself is only giving about 3whp at peak...which i think is neg. from other factors (ie air temp diff from runs etc.)

for some of us who already have RPI scoop (and BMC filters) i dunno if the elbow is gonna do much.......

ideas???

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
I doubt we will get a lot from this, but the concept is sound. Since the volume is larger, it could slow down the air flow and cause a mid range or bottom end loss. As with some of the other mods, it may work better with an ESS DME upgrade where the programming is adaptive to small modifications.

I did order the arm ($94 + ship) today and will give it a whirl once it gets here.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was looking at the dyno charts...it looks like the arm itself is only giving about 3whp at peak...which i think is neg. from other factors (ie air temp diff from runs etc.)

for some of us who already have RPI scoop (and BMC filters) i dunno if the elbow is gonna do much.......

ideas???
True the peak gain is only slight but right below peak was a significant gain of 10~15 rwhp from 7200rpm to 8100rpm from just the elbow!

If that is the case i would venture to say that those like us with the scoop do stand to gain some hp especially in this range. I would further venture to guess that those who have ESS s/w (maybe Powerchip too) would gain even more since the ESS s/w seems to adapt really well to changes!

Whoops looks like Pal beat me to the punch before i finished typing this post Pal jumped in with the above. Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mod Bargains carries the AFE Cold Air Intake, and also an AFE elbow.

Has anyone tried it?

I really want some intake noise to cover up my interior panel rattles (it feels like my doors are about to fall off!!!!!)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mod Bargains carries the AFE Cold Air Intake, and also an AFE elbow.

Has anyone tried it?

I really want some intake noise to cover up my interior panel rattles (it feels like my doors are about to fall off!!!!!)
Get an exhaust...that works even better for ear bliss.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found out the air duct is not a direct bolt-on for us Z4M guys...an extra part is required

Notice how the vaccum line (#3) is connected directly to the air collector on an E46 M3
http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/ODA0MThfcA==.png

On a Z4M, the vaccum line (#4) is connected to the air duct
http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTUyOTY4X3A=.png

In order to make the air duct work, one may nee to purchase the vaccum line off a E46 M3 (A $65 part from Tischer BMW)
Woa good eye. but looking at it one the RealOem site it does not appear to have the hose on it. I am looking at an USA model 6/2006 build date:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DU93&mospid=49424&btnr=11_3012&hg=11&fg=40

But it shows it here if this is the same part as above:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DU93&mospid=49424&btnr=11_3947&hg=11&fg=45

I guess you are right but it is hard to tell. I would go look at my car but it is getting painted at the moment. so i cannot confirm.

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think this is correct. Below is an old pic of my engine bay and you can sort of see the nipple on the bend of the elbow.

and say is that a red TT in the background :)

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Vodka G - That is a Tropic Orange GTI VR6. I used to have a Dolomite Gray 3.2 TT and a Raven Black 225 - the latter was my favorite :)

so pal, did you ever get the elbow piece to work?
I got the elbow piece but have not had a chance to work on getting the connector into the new pipe. Really don't want to destroy the OEM elbow so need to try and find a bung that will work with the OEM connector. Ideas welcome.

Below are the pieces that came in -

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vodka G - That is a Tropic Orange GTI VR6. I used to have a Dolomite Gray 3.2 TT and a Raven Black 225 - the latter was my favorite :)

I got the elbow piece but have not had a chance to work on getting the connector into the new pipe. Really don't want to destroy the OEM elbow so need to try and find a bung that will work with the OEM connector. Ideas welcome.

Below are the pieces that came in -
It looks like the real trick will be how to handle this problem:

On a Z4M, the vaccum line (#4) is connected to the air duct
http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTUyOTY4X3A=.png

I was looking at the stock elbow and it looks pretty big to the degree that i don't see why the AFE kit elbow would actually provide better flow?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Someone should do a simple airflow analysis on the system and see if ANY change in the intake side ahead of the manifold actually gains anything.

The S54 can only process so much air per combustion cycle. Let's say the 3.2 liter engine, at 7,900RPM, can process exactly 12,640 liter of unrestricted air per minute, or 210.67 liter of air per second. Can the intake/elbow/manifold allow 210.67 liter of air per second through? If it can, improving the air flow won't "improve" performance.

I suspect the BMW OEM system can pass 210.67 liter of air per second. If that were the case, improving the flow-rate of air by adding more efficient intake components can only add power if AND ONLY IF you also alter the density of the air and the air/fuel mixture AND increase the max rev. Otherwise any money spent on the front end of the engine is just a waste of money.

·
Calvinball Professional
1,104 Posts
Otherwise any money spent on the front end of the engine is just a waste of money.
I'm starting to think this statement says it all. And you can probably drop the "Otherwise".

·
Registered
54 Posts
These sorts of mods assume the engine can "process" more air or is not getting enough by an OEM intake.

I see no reason why BMW would design a system which is restrictive, but if it is restrictive then unless the timing is advanced or the air temp is colder then it won't make any difference anyway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts