BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some new info in the current issue of Roundel has me thinking that a 1-series (or 2-series) may find its way into my garage someday.

Tops on the list of new info to me is the availability of a 2-liter I-6 along with the 1.8 liter 4-cylinder. :thumb:

Also mentioned was that a 3-door hatch and 4-door sedan would be first to roll off the assembly line by late 2004. A 2-door coupe, 3-door sport wagon and roadster are "in the works" according to the article.

Anyway, does the idea of a light weight, 6-cylinder, RWD, cheap(ish), new BMW as a track car and commuter sound good to anyone else?

G

·
The horrible Bangle-Hooydonk styling plus the rumor of it being SMG-only (no true manual tranny) pretty much kill it for me. I am considering a Mini Cooper S, even though it is FWD.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
well ill be honest, im strictly a 100% german car kinda guy, got a 99 jetta and a 2002 330 ci but , right now you can buy a wrx for the same price as a 1 series. im thinking of upgrading my wifes commuter to a 1 series when it comes out, but they got some very stiff competition in that dollar range.

now a mini cooper, thats a real possibility

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
TD said:
The horrible Bangle-Hooydonk styling plus the rumor of it being SMG-only (no true manual tranny) pretty much kill it for me. I am considering a Mini Cooper S, even though it is FWD.
How on earth is BMW going to make a transmission that costs $3000 (or whatever it is) as the only one available on their entry level vehicle? Can you say price gouging?

20,210 Posts
TD said:
The last article about the "CS1 on the road" that I posted stated that only the CS1 prototype had SMG, but that the production version 1-series would be offered in Step and 5-speed.

20,210 Posts
TD said:
Hey, you said you didn't think it looked TOO bad:

Honestly, it could have been MUCH worse.

As is, I'm eager to see it in person to see how some questionable lines really look.

But, on looks alone, that pic does not rule out an M2 as a future purchase.
Here's the pic again:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:
The 1 series may acutally weigh less than the Mini! It will be a cool car. Tone down the CS1, and it will look good...

20,210 Posts
Actually, it said it will be in 5-speed or CVT form:

"The CS1's paddle-shift gearbox is based on the SMG unit introduced in the M3, and is operated by a pair of beautifully finished brushed aluminium flippers attached to the steering column. BMW claims that these perform changes twice as fast as shifting manually, although a conventional five-speed box and CVT automatic will be available on the 1-Series when it goes into production. "

·
3,440 Posts
I'd consider it. :dunno: I think I'd rather have a Cooper S with larger displacement (BMW are you listening?). It all depends on how it looks and performs in the flesh. Also what is offered (std. features, engine & etc.) at the price BMW AG intends to sell it. The pricing has to be reasonable which I think the 3-Series (E46) no longer is. :thumbdwn:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Definitely. The wild cards for me are the styling and the interior control integration; give me semi-decent looks and some way around i-Drive (psst...BMW...make it an option that only comes with Nav), and it'll be near the top of my list.

PS. I tend to believe that SMG is too expensive for this car, but it goes without saying that if there's no clutch pedal, there's no sale.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think I will want one as a weekend car. I actually like the interior. The seats and headrests look so lightweight - I really like that. They also somehow look like they would be really comfortable and supportive.

I wouldn't buy one with a 4... I really like the idea of the small I-6. Neat! I wonder how much it weighs.

Now if only it was going to be RWD...

--SONET

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
SONET said:
The more I think about it, the more I think I will want one as a weekend car. I actually like the interior. The seats and headrests look so lightweight - I really like that. They also somehow look like they would be really comfortable and supportive.

I wouldn't buy one with a 4... I really like the idea of the small I-6. Neat! I wonder how much it weighs.

Now if only it was going to be RWD...

--SONET
It IS going to be RWD

It is supposed to be lightweight, to feel like a 2002. The acutal size is pretty close

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
nate328Ci said:

It IS going to be RWD
I haven't been following the CS1 stuff and I guess I misread the Roundel article today.. I just looked back and they were talking about when BMW was planning to move into the small-car segment with Rover. Thanks for clearing that up, I'm glad it is planned to be RWD.

First the Britney thing, now this. I'm not doing very well today. :(

I've been trying to deal with some really bad news I got today... I guess I'm not doing as well as I thought. :tsk:

--SONET

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
A little side note : SMG which comes on the 325 and 330 models costs $1273 in Germany. (Price June 2002)

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think I'd prefer an ///M2 coupe. No mention in the Roundel article about a possible ///M version, though.

Although I think I'll still prefer the looks of the 3-series over the 1-series, the possibility of a new, lightweight, quick, more affordable ///M-series may sway me from getting a 330Ci.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TD said:
Chris Chapman is the guy who penned it...Same guy wo penned the X-Coupe.

And personally, I think the lines are SOMEWHAT reminiscent of great BMW coupes in the past with the high and well defined shoulder line, like the 2002 and 3.0CS:dunno:.

I probably won't get one...Right now the plan would still be to get the Z4 for a third/leased car for the business, and trade in the red 323Ci in 4 years for a mid production run 6 series, and keep the blue 323Ci.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.