BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone else here get Bimmer magazine?

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  disneyducks 
G
#1 ·
This months issue (October 2002 ?!) seems to be hitting on a lot of hot topics. I jsut got it in the mail today and have been reading it for the last half hour or so.

First, on page 4, there is a column imploring BMW enthusiasts to reduce the population of automatic-tranny equipped BMWs-

"As BMWs become more popular among the general population, it's only natural that more BMWs will be sold with slushboxes. Rather than merely decry the trend, however, let's do what we can as enthusiasts to reverse it. If you've got a friend who's thinking about buying a Bimmer, talk to them about transmissions. Tell them how much fun a manual can be. Better still, let them drive your car - so they can find out first-hand what a BMW is really all about. It's more than just another car, but you need to shift it yourself to really understand." :thumbup:

Then, on starting on page 16 (where the letters to the editor start) are three letters tearing up Bangle and also the editorial staff for half-heartedly defending him in a previous issue. There was also much praise for Claus Luthe. There were two separate references to the front of the upcoming 5-series resembling a Pontiac Grand Am. :lmao:

Next, on page 24 in a response by Mike Miller in the Tech Q&A section to a question about steering fluid change intervals there is the quote, "Even when BMW had maintenance schedules dictated by engineering rather than marketing, we can't remember there ever being a power steering fluid drain interval." :thumbup:

Then, on page 52 (still in the letters) there is an indignant letter refering to a comment made in a prior issue comparing the automatic transmission to SPAM. The letter goes on to say they were offended as SPAM is quite good and should not be insulted like that. :lmao:

I could go on... (they do...) But I'm not done reading yet. I am just starting the actual articles so I'm sure I'll have more good quotes to add.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
eugeneDC/TX said:
dont subscribe, but maybe i'll go buy it at nearest bn or borders
Well, for the record, the current issue reviews the E39 530i, compares all of the 5-series engine choices (in Europe where there are 9 different engines available). They have a "comparison test" of the M6 and the Dinan 635CSi. They discuss what makes a CPO BMW CPO. Plus a couple F1 articles and an article on a massive restoration of a 2002 that was found at the bottom of a swamp.

Each issue has a truly great Tech Q&A section and lots of ads (which, in this case are a good thing).

#8 ·
Haven't checked out the Oct issue, perhaps things have changed a little. I have always think that BIMMER is a redundant magazine. Almost all the major bookstores and stands I visit here in West LA, there are always a thick stash of them before the next issue is out. Seems like no one bother to buy them anyway. Their writings and reviews are kinda shallow with very distasteful photo shots (not everytime, but most). And when was the last time they covered any DIY or tracking a BMW?

Yup, I am bias.

#9 · (Edited)
Some good stuff, and some bad.

I've been a subscriber to Bimmer for about 3 years now, but I think I'm going to let it lapse.

Their main editor, Jackie Jouret, really honked me off when she insinuated recently that those of us Americans that are calling for Bangle's ouster were being unpatriotic. I could almost hear the fife in the background playing 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' as I was reading her scathing review of our actions. The lady's clueless and shallow if that truly reflects her attitude.

While the Tech questions and letters are excellent, and Mike Miller's contributions invaluable (best article I've seen on the CPO program), as Vinnie states above the majority of their articles are 'old news' and don't contribute much to the marque, but that's only my opinion. It doesn't help that it's only published every other month (although I think I read they will eventually increase the number of editions they put out during the year).

Also, there are just too darn many ads in it. It was cool at first, but grows old when you see virtually the same ads over and over again.

So, while I've all but decided to drop it I'll continue to track it at the newstand, but only buy those editions that I think are useful.

#11 ·
I read bimmer and BMWCar.

What is the best read for Bimmers generally?

#12 ·
I read Bimmer religiously and in general love it and recommend it; Mike Miller's Tech Q&A alone is worth the cover price.

Vince: Bimmer has DIY articles in almost every issue (repairing your suspension and fixing chips and dings in your paint-job are two recent articles that come immediately to mind), though you're right about tracking, there isn't any attention paid to that that I've seen.

IndyMike: I respect your opinions, but I think you missed Jouret's point in her editorial about Bangle (which, personally, I found to be a reasoned and intelligent counterpoint to all the Bangle-bashing currently en-vogue). At no point did she insinuate that it was unpatriotic to denounce Bangle, she merely attempted to accurately present Bangle's true role in the BMW scheme of things to show that he wasn't deserving of the degree of villification he's received. Jouret does insinuate that she senses a degree of America-bashing from the European press (as it is often pointed out that Bangle is an American in the very same breath that he is being reviled), but American patriotism is never made an issue. And even she herself states in the editorial, "I could hardly be described as overly patriotic, having too strong an attachment to the notion of democracy to fit within the current definition of that term," a wonderfully subversive little statement, and if "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was playing when it was written, it was playing backwards.

#14 ·
TD-

I also like Bimmer magazine-- I just read the issue you're referring to at B&N last night. Definitely one of the better issues -- all of the articles were very interesting and well written. I too enjoyed seeing all of the pot shots they took at BMW-- I was worried after Jackie Jouret's Bangle editorial that they were turning into a "puff mag"-- but they definitely had some good zingers in this past issue. I really hope that someone at BMW is home and listening...

Did you see the quote they used from Claus Luthe: "Good design should not have any mistakes"-- that was great!

#16 ·
There are two BMW enthusiast magazines I pick up from time to time at Border's: "Bimmer" and "BMWcar".

The English one is pretty good, the american; less filling.

Ed

#17 ·
TD said:

First, on page 4, there is a column imploring BMW enthusiasts to reduce the population of automatic-tranny equipped BMWs-

....... talk to them about transmissions. Tell them how much fun a manual can be. Better still, let them drive your car - so they can find out first-hand what a BMW is really all about. It's more than just another car, but you need to shift it yourself to really understand." :thumbup: ......
Well I've been doing my job! I've already made two of my friends get stick-shifts. They had never driven a manual before...so I taught them! :thumbup: But they didn't get Bimmers...one has a WRX, the other a Jetta VR6. Its a step in the right direction... :D

#21 ·
Wow, I feel like I am in the twilight zone with all of you talking about just reading the Ocotber issue. I read it over a month ago, and in fact read the November issue at least 2 weeks ago.

The November issue has a great article on buying your BMW from Ebay and a really cool article on the Dingolfing Plant, watching a 7 series go through the factory line, etc.

I am in Georgia, I thought things were behing the times here, can't imagine why our magazine shelves would be a month ahead.

What is this Taliban crap????

#22 ·
Jackie Jouret is just plain ugly:mad: :mad: :mad: . Just look at the hair cut. And the photo we see must be one of the best in her stock:confused: . She never has anything of value to say, and that *** on the next page isn't much better:thumbdwn: .

Bimmer magazine is a waste, unless you need current advertising. The only redeeming value to Bimmer is the articles showcasing BMW history.

The magazines worth reading are Total BMW and BMW Car.

Performance BMW is okay for the pictures but I've see so many instances where the information is wrong. I won't buy it to read disinformation. They print everything. If an article pertains to a reader ride, the reader could say he has JATO packs on the back and they will print it.

Bimmer is bi monthly, and is always late with information. Case in point. The 528bhp Breyton 3 series and 500bhp Novack N500 were printed in BMW Car 3 months before we saw news of it in Bimmer.

Bimmer strikes me as the magazine for the snob population. BMW car and TBMW are the magaines for every bimmer driver regarless if you have an e21, M1, Alpina B7, or a 700. Performance BMW tends to be the mod magazine.

And in closing I'd just like to say again, Jackie Jouret is ugly.

Razzmatazz:)

#24 ·
rbright said:
Razz,

I think Bimmer is monthly, not bi monthly, but I am a newbie so I could be wrong. However, I am aware of an October and a November issue.
Not monthly... They double up on some issues. It's either 8 or 10 issues per year; but definitely not monthly... Razz is correct, they are always late on the news... Articles always seem to be like a rehash of previous articles on roundel / bmwcar, etc... Still read it though... guess I can't get enuf.

Total BMW is (I think it may be a year or two old) a bit newer than BMWCar.... Picked one up a few months ago and is definitely worth getting... Based on that one issue though, it appears to be a bit more meaty than BMWCar.

cheers
:bigpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.