·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess not! LMFAO!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a 997 S convertible with the 6 speed manual. Love it, it is absolutely perfect for Northern California.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a 997 S convertible with the 6 speed manual. Love it, it is absolutely perfect for Northern California.
Good to hear. I have a base 997. Plenty powerful for me. Got it with Tiptronic in case the wife ever has to drive it. So far, not.:D

You guys have the fun roads. Florida is boringly straight. The biggest hill I ever encounter is my driveway incline!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good to hear. I have a base 997. Plenty powerful for me. Got it with Tiptronic in case the wife ever has to drive it. So far, not.:D

You guys have the fun roads. Florida is boringly straight.
The standard Carerra is great little car :thumbup:

We are blessed with some incredible driving roads here in NorCal, but we've got our share of dull, straight (and poorly maintained) freeways too!

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The standard Carerra is great little car :thumbup:

We are blessed with some incredible driving roads here in NorCal, but we've got our share of dull, straight (and poorly maintained) freeways too!
Thanks. Mine is adequate. Yours is perfect. :thumbup:

·
This Guy
804 Posts
Though I don't have a 911, I've owend a few P-cars over the years. My father bought, new, a '63 356B Cab and it was in the family until 2007. He sold it to a guy in France and that's that...the car is enjoying cheese and wine.

I've had several 944's (yeah yeah, still great cars) and a 968. I think that once the wife and I get settled in a new house, I will be looking for a decent older 911...I'd go as new as a 993, but I really prefer the original.

Beautiful car btw. I think the 997 is the best looking car since the 993. Love the green my man. :thumbup:

·
trailingthrottleoversteer
4,328 Posts
For the record....my next car is going to be a dark GREEN 911 with the equivalent of natural brown interior.:thumbup:

There is a girl at my company that has an oxford green 528 with natty brown interior and I told her that it was the most greatest color combo ever - she thinks I'm nuts for noticing.

you have an awesome color combo...just thought you'd like to know :D

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, a 997 C4S convertible with PDK. It hardly gets driven as I spend most of the time driving around with three dogs in the 535xiT.
Cool! That's the fate of a lot of Porsches. So many cars 3-4 years old with 15k miles or less.

I drive my wife's 328i whenever I want to feel "comfort". Not much else. A real yuppy mobile. The 328i is so boring to drive compared to my 997. BMW is not making drivers' cars like they used to. Too bad.

A 997 C4S vert is very nice. I want a 2S coupe for Xmas, but expect a couple of pairs of socks instead.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the record....my next car is going to be a dark GREEN 911 with the equivalent of natural brown interior.:thumbup:

There is a girl at my company that has an oxford green 528 with natty brown interior and I told her that it was the most greatest color combo ever - she thinks I'm nuts for noticing.

you have an awesome color combo...just thought you'd like to know :D
Thanks, Frank! My color is "Forest Green". with beige all leather seats. I've never seen another one. When I've been going to the Shell station, folks seem to drop what they are doing and stare. I'm not asking for all the attention, so I now go to for gas either very early or very late.:)

The problem with Porsche is they keep changing non-popular colors every year. So dark green may be $600-$700 as a regular metallic color one year and $2000-$3000 special order the next year. Stuff like that drives me nuts!:tsk:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cool! That's the fate of a lot of Porsches. So many cars 3-4 years old with 15k miles or less.

I drive my wife's 328i whenever I want to feel "comfort". Not much else. A real yuppy mobile. The 328i is so boring to drive compared to my 997. BMW is not making drivers' cars like they used to. Too bad.

A 997 C4S vert is very nice. I want a 2S coupe for Xmas, but expect a couple of pairs of socks instead.
Thanks. I think your green is a really noticeable (and great) color since so many of these cars are black or silver.

·
Registered
2022 M3
4,251 Posts
I've wanted a 911 forever. I own "too many" vehicles -- 328iT, M3, MX-5 Miata and Sprinter maxivan (= 4) , and could reduce the fleet and (stretching) afford a new 911, but the thought of driving to the discount grocery store or Wal-Mart :)eeps:) and parking a 100K car (base Carrera with options) there gives me the willies...

I know it's "just a car" but...

I'm retired and live in a rural area and basically don't give a damn what anyone thinks about what I drive. "They" mostly drive 1 ton pickups and 10-20 year old SUVs. Around here a 7 year old M3, a 2 year old MX-5 and a 1 year old 328i come pretty close to the definition of "exotics." :yikes: In a way a 911 would just be more of the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate the attention, so like I said, I gas up extra early or extra late. I drive it for me. I have the 328i for comfort and the 911 for excitement. I sure wish the troopers would let me have my way with this fantastic machine.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
2 cents, what makes a Porsche so appealing to you guys? As far as looks I guess some models are an acquired taste but I heard once you drive one you know why, having never driven one yet I was hoping you Porsche enthusiast could curb my curiosity.

·
This Guy
804 Posts
2 cents, what makes a Porsche so appealing to you guys? As far as looks I guess some models are an acquired taste but I heard once you drive one you know why, having never driven one yet I was hoping you Porsche enthusiast could curb my curiosity.
Well, it's a lot like many BMW models. Intangibles in some ways I suppose. It's so cliched to say a car is an extension of the driver, but it is absolutely true in a P-car. From closing the door with that solid "whump" to driving the car down the road with it tracking straight until you will it to move, these cars are just otherworldy in many ways.

You gotta drive one...:rofl:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's a very masculine looking, sexy, great driving machine. Like BMW's, the car is at its best when driven fast. It's a fine second car, because of its limited trunk space.

The car is also very solidly built. No squeaks. No rattles.

Women generally don't drive it, which for me is a plus. My wife hates the road noise and how low it is to the ground-everything that guys would like. So, I never have to worry about her stealing my keys.:D

One downside-on the interstate, you become a target-everyone starts racing you. This was fun at first, but I've grown tired of it.

The car only weighs around 3100 pounds, with a 325 hp engine, which means it's up for total mayhem. The acceleration and passing power are amazing and I just have the "lowly" base 911! For the street, you don't need any more power.:)

A survey was taken-I forget by whom-and the number one car males aspire to is the Porsche 911.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I think your green is a really noticeable (and great) color since so many of these cars are black or silver.
Thanks. I've never seen another "Forest Green". Yes. Many of these cars are black, silver, white or different shades of gray. Some folks get red or yellow, but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A few things spring to mind, these for me are what define the 911:

Steering - the steering in a 911 is unmatched. The car only has 40% of the weight over the front wheels, and the steering feel, accuracy and feedback is phenomenal. Take a drive over a road in almost any car then drive the same road in a 911. The difference is staggering.

Rear traction - it is simply epic. The level of rear grip and traction is astonishing. Get it right, and you are faster out of corners than you'd believe possible. You'll hear lots of apocryphal stories about tail heavy 911's. Curiously few of them come from anyone who has actually spent much time in a modern 911.

Handling - sublime. Perfect ride and handling balance. Porsche does this better than almost anyone.

Reliability - the cars are bulletproof. These are cars that can and should be driven to the track, hammered, and then driven home again. Every week. Fade free brakes and about the best reliability and build quality in the segment. You can do things with a 911 that would have you sweating beads of worry in many other higher-end cars. The 911 can take punishment like you wouldn't believe.

History - it is the iconic sportscar, the quintessential benchmark by which many others are judged. Sure, some competitors are faster, some are cheaper, but the 911 has carved a unique niche and it is still a benchmark. What else has over forty years of proud history and a clear and direct bloodline running through the entire line from the earliest car to the latest iteration?

Weight - look at how little the weight of a 911 has grown over the years. Compare that with the weight of an early 3 or 5 Series and their modern counterpart. The BMW has ballooned, the 911 hasn't added all that much.

·
Usual Suspect
378 Posts
I have had 5 911s over the years dating back to a 1970 911S.

As the poster above pointed out the 911 has been around for 40 years and has been under constant deveiolpment. When you consider that the 911 was developed from the 356 the direct lineage of the 911 goes back 60 years.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.