BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I have more body roll than my friend's '05 325i. When I go around bends, even on the highway, it's like I'm about to capsize. Anyone else feel the stock suspension kinda sucks? I'm really considering getting a strut bar and f/r sways...

·
Registered
402 Posts
swchang said:
I feel like I have more body roll than my friend's '05 325i. When I go around bends, even on the highway, it's like I'm about to capsize. Anyone else feel the stock suspension kinda sucks? I'm really considering getting a strut bar and f/r sways...
Nope. :thumbup:

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
Sounds like something is broken to me as well. I have H&R racing springs on my car, but I often take a stock ZHP car from my dealership and can say with great confidence that you should definitely out handle the 325i... drive them both again, back to back... try to drive the same as best as you can... watch your speed. Maybe you were going faster in the ZHP (very probable) and just didn't realize how much faster you were going so it caused a more dramatic transition in your turn. :dunno:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to have a Camry before this car...The is a particular curvy road that is fun to speed on....posted speed limit is 20 around the curve...in my camry, it felt like i was about to roll over at around 40...in my 325ci, can easily take the curve at 50 with no body roll and 65 with some body roll...maybe i'm biased because my first car was a geo prism and my second a camry (neither of which are benchmarks for body roll), but a stock 3 series in general pretty much kills any other car in the body roll, suspension, and handling department.

·
10,856 Posts
If you can't get around highway bends, then your front sway is probably disconnected.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thing I posted about this before I went into Russel to have my car serviced. Asked them to check out the sways (and belts, DME upgrade to v41.2, etc.).

Looks like Tom Wolff has left Russel and moved to Northwest. Michelle, my new SA, was really nice, and will hopefully carry on the same quality level Tom did. I think he left because of the new service manager, but no one would confirm that... :angel:

Loaner Corolla is so soft-riding compared to my car. There's this road by the prison near where I live that is probably the bumpiest road I've ever driven down. I barely felt anything. Usually my butt is so sore by the time I finish driving down that road in my car that I wonder if I was just passing by the prison or passing through it... :p

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
swchang said:
There's this road by the prison near where I live that is probably the bumpiest road I've ever driven down. I barely felt anything. Usually my butt is so sore by the time I finish driving down that road in my car that I wonder if I was just passing by the prison or passing through it... :p
LOL... sounds like the likely cause of the possible breakage in the first place?! :dunno:

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a call from Michelle at Russel. Here's what she said:

1. No codes thrown
2. DME upgraded to v41.1. Hopefully this will fix the stalling/rough idle.
3. No CDV... (Second dealership to say that, so I'm starting to think it might be true.)
4. Wiper inserts replaced.
5. I complained about a rhythmic squeal at cold startups. Apparently the water pump was leaking coolant onto a belt, so the pump was replaced. I don't know how that happened, but anyway...
6. Brake pads 12 mm front, 10 mm rear, so don't need replacement yet (done at 3 mm f/r).
7. The issue that prompted this thread, she said the front control arm bushings had too much flex, so those were replaced.

Do I need to go through a break-in period for the replaced bushings, or can I drive like I normally do? Also, think any damage could have been done to the belt?

Anyway, I have to say that I've gotten pretty fantastic service from Russel and even Fairfax. I had issues with Fairfax because some of the complaints I had they just told me were not replicable, so they were never addressed. But they did do my oil service 5k miles early, which is nice, and they apparently were honest about the lack of CDV, about which I was initially skeptical. Fritz was my SA because Frankie Johnson was out sick (still haven't met her), and he was very nice and helpful.

Tom Wolff at Russel was always pretty great, and I'm sad he's gone, but it seems like Michelle is just as if not more fantastic. Super nice, courteous, goes through everything on my (long) list of things to fix, and takes the time to answer my questions about what was done. It's sad in a way that I'm praising her for doing what any BMW SA should be expected to do in the first place, but she's awesome so far. I'd give her all 6's if I could. :thumbup:

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
allaboutme said:
What about the CDV? Yours doesn't have one?
Well, supposedly... This is the second dealership now to say that. I guess I'll just have to look for myself one of these days.

Still a good amount of body roll, so maybe my expectations are unreasonably high. :dunno:

Once again, have to say Michelle and Russel were great. However, despite Michelle actually checking the voice message I left about not washing my car, and even putting it on the invoice to not wash it, they washed it. :( Oh well, it was kinda dirty and I already have plenty of swirlies, so what can a few more hurt? I'm planning to do a thorough detailing in the next few months plus some PDR for the door dings I have on the right side.

I should probably also check my coolant level... :eeps: (Whoda thunk a water pump would leak COOLANT? :dunno: )

·
909 Posts
swchang said:
Still a good amount of body roll, so maybe my expectations are unreasonably high. :dunno:
I don't understand. You had your car for a while already but you never complained about this before. Was it like that when you take delivery, or test drive? And now you are saying it is worse than a 325i (non-sport?). It's hard to believe as the ZHP suspension has considerably less body roll than even the sport packaged 325 or 330i.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
swchang said:
5. I complained about a rhythmic squeal at cold startups. Apparently the water pump was leaking coolant onto a belt, so the pump was replaced. I don't know how that happened, but anyway...
Same thing happened to my car.

A squeal noise at cold startups... replaced leaking water pump... problem gone.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mkh said:
I don't understand. You had your car for a while already but you never complained about this before. Was it like that when you take delivery, or test drive? And now you are saying it is worse than a 325i (non-sport?). It's hard to believe as the ZHP suspension has considerably less body roll than even the sport packaged 325 or 330i.
It's always been like that, and I've always noticed it but never complained about it (so as not to be labelled a complainer...).

I don't know for sure that it's worse than a 325i (sport), because I haven't driven my car and my friend's car back to back. Sitting in the passenger seat while he's driving, though, it seems like his has less body roll. Of course, I'm not in the driver's seat, and I think he might take corners a little less aggressively than I do, so by no means is my feeling based on rigorous scientific analysis (which I don't usually find to be particularly rigorous anyway).

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
westface said:
OK, this is really out there. Did they forget to remove your shipping blocks propping up the suspension?
Nope. Already been checked, and besides, my car's been into the shop a fair share already for little niggling things, so they should have noticed by now if that were the case. I think I just have higher expectations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.