BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - my first post here. I wanted to see if what I'm experiencing is normal before talking to the service dept.

I've got an April prod. Black Sapphire 3.0si that I'm about to have the sway bars replaced on (i hear lots of rattling when going over speed bumps), but my question is about the intensity of the A/C output in your x5.

I have gone through all the settings for Climate in iDrive, have maxed out the vent settings, set the temp to cold, and then pushed the MAX button/knob on the dash. There seems to be very little cold air coming out of the side vents by the driver/passenger doors.. in fact I can only feel it holding my hand directly on the vent. The middle vents are not much stronger.

Is this expected? I have rear climate and was thinking that maybe with those vents open I'm losing some pressure.

Can the service dept do a quick/easy pressure test on my A/C system?

Thanks! Otherwise I love my x5. Had it for almost a week and my family and I are about to put >1000 miles on it for our annual beach trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had same problem with my 7 series. Went to service and they told me that it is hooked up to the hot air.

They switched it around and now its COLD! Takes them less than 2 hrs to fix it.

·
Diver624
504 Posts
The only issue I have with the AC system is that the fan is very loud in relation to the amount of air coming out of the vents. I've had other cars with stronger air flow but it works ok other than the noisy blower.

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts
Hi all - my first post here. I wanted to see if what I'm experiencing is normal before talking to the service dept.

I've got an April prod. Black Sapphire 3.0si that I'm about to have the sway bars replaced on (i hear lots of rattling when going over speed bumps), but my question is about the intensity of the A/C output in your x5.

I have gone through all the settings for Climate in iDrive, have maxed out the vent settings, set the temp to cold, and then pushed the MAX button/knob on the dash. There seems to be very little cold air coming out of the side vents by the driver/passenger doors.. in fact I can only feel it holding my hand directly on the vent. The middle vents are not much stronger.

Is this expected? I have rear climate and was thinking that maybe with those vents open I'm losing some pressure.

Can the service dept do a quick/easy pressure test on my A/C system?

Thanks! Otherwise I love my x5. Had it for almost a week and my family and I are about to put >1000 miles on it for our annual beach trip.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have the rear climate package as well, but no problems like you mention with the A/C. In fact, both my wife and I have remarked that the X5 probably cools quicker than our other BMWs.

·
Stargate Champion
176 Posts
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
I have the same issue w/ my E70 (11/06 build)
The airflow from the driver and passenger side vents is so weak you can barley feel it. I have tried every single combination of settings.

I have 4 climate zones as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no i haven't heard yet..

my wife is taking it in tomorrow to get the "sway bars" replaced. i was hearing lots of rattling and clanking when going over speed bumps lightly, and also sometimes in quick turns.

while she's there i'll have her get them to try and check the pressure of the system. i will probably get the front windows tinted regardless, b/c right now i am just sweating when i ride around during the day here in Kentucky.. HOT.

my 2003 maxima blows air at the same intensity level from all 4 front vents, but on the X it's "decent" from the middle vents, but really stinks from the side vents. by this i mean i can only feel airflow with my hand ~3-5 inches in front.. any farther and i don't feel anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my wife is taking it in tomorrow to get the "sway bars" replaced. i was hearing lots of rattling and clanking when going over speed bumps lightly, and also sometimes in quick turns.

while she's there i'll have her get them to try and check the pressure of the system. i will probably get the front windows tinted regardless, b/c right now i am just sweating when i ride around during the day here in Kentucky.. HOT.

my 2003 maxima blows air at the same intensity level from all 4 front vents, but on the X it's "decent" from the middle vents, but really stinks from the side vents. by this i mean i can only feel airflow with my hand ~3-5 inches in front.. any farther and i don't feel anything.
Consider tinting the sun roof as well. We tintinted 35% mirror tint and it reduced some of the heat coming into the interior. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks maybe i'll consider that, too. we got it back today and his answer was "it's normal... try shutting the center vents halfway for more airflow on the sides"... well yeah... that'll work. but my 03 maxima, pretty darn sporty in its own right at less than half the price new, has fantastic AC..

i guess i'll tint the windows and shut up. :confused:

Consider tinting the sun roof as well. We tintinted 35% mirror tint and it reduced some of the heat coming into the interior. Good luck.

·
Stargate Champion
176 Posts
so I guess you never heard back from this guy:
"I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

I guess this was BS

·
Registered
728 Posts
"I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

I guess this was BS
I think it's real, look at all of his posts, some of them have phone numbers....:dunno:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nope, not a word. well i guess i'll just get some tint on the front windows or park a lot farther from my office to find a tree.. doh.

I guess this was BS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nope

any updates on the poor a/c performance and did BMW ever

contact you about it?

thanks
he (Jason, a BMWNA rep) called, left a msg, and i tried to call back. every time i do i get his vm.

i'll try again soon.. but the AC still sucks. I've been told by other BMW owners that i work with that it just kinda sucks. It doesn't get all that hot in Germany, after all. but in the winter, LOOK OUT! i'll be toasty in a matter of seconds. :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
he (Jason, a BMWNA rep) called, left a msg, and i tried to call back. every time i do i get his vm.

i'll try again soon.. but the AC still sucks. I've been told by other BMW owners that i work with that it just kinda sucks. It doesn't get all that hot in Germany, after all. but in the winter, LOOK OUT! i'll be toasty in a matter of seconds. :p
no excuse.. in my outgoing Volvo (and Sweden is even colder), you can hang meat after 20 min on high in Phoenix summers. Get in touch and find out the deal.

And my MB does quite well also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.