BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I roll thusly
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking about my ED with a friend this weekend (my favorite topic lately) and we were discussing the int'l drivers license you can get from AAA, which is basically your US license info translated into multiple languages. You really don't need one but it would probably make things go a bit easier if you got pulled over. Then I stared to wonder if anyone had been pulled over on an ED program since EU countries typically photograph your speeding car and mail you the ticket. In my two ED experiences I never ran afoul of the law (other than traffic wardens who questioned me about driving in downtown Florence when looking for our hotel; they were actually pretty cool about it).
Anyone here got any stories to share?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Crossed into Czech Republic from Austria at around 830pm, getting dark and raining. No czech money, no gas, hungry and 2 hours from prague. No traffic, thank god for navigation. By 930pm decided we better eat at McDonalds, and they changed some Euro for some Czech Koruna. Next door credit card gas. Now around 1130pm somewhere in Czech I pull out from the gas station onto the street and head out. Trying to find the correct onramp to the highway from the country roads I get pulled over. I'm thinking oh SHIIT...two young guys, brand new BMW, midnight in Czech with no money...definately thinking jail. Now I speak about 10-20 words in German and 0 in czech. The cops who were about our same age spoke no english and I could understand what they were getting at in German. They asked if I spoke Italian and I probably could understand that better but said no. Seems as though making a left turn out of a gas station onto the street was a no-no. I played dumb and mute, they finally let me go after really checking out the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,705 Posts
Many folks here HAVE been pulled over while ED. Especially if you are heading eastward to CZ and Austria (due to high theft rate of high-end German cars).

Except for the camera radar in munich (which I made a habit of getting flashed by it everytime I am there :p ) I have never been pulled-over. But I mostly stay in Germany and have a blast on the Autobahn. YMMV.

cheers,

beewang:bigpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
Quite a few of us have been on the A-8. You can do a search and you'll find my experience of being pulled over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Pulled over by Croatian Police going 77 in a 50 KMPH zone, on the way from Split to Dubrovnik. It was 500 kuna on the spot, which is about $90 or so. I only spoke to them in English since I figured their ability to harass me would be minimized by their lack of English fluency. One of the cops was extremely irritated, since my name was obviously Croatian, and kept yelling at me in Croatian, to which I responded with a blank stares and puzzled looks. I speak fluent Croatian by the way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
SouthBayM5 said:
One of the cops was extremely irritated, since my name was obviously Croatian, and kept yelling at me in Croatian, to which I responded with a blank stares and puzzled looks. I speak fluent Croatian by the way.
:rofl: :rofl: My wife is from Belgrade...but I could play dumb very easily if a cop in Croatia was yelling at me in his language. I just hope my wife could play along.... :p However, I bet my daughter (nearly 5 and fluent in English/Serbian), might speak up and "tell" on us! :tsk: :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Pulled over

We were not pulled over by police on our recent ED but we were told to pull over by the Italian border agents as we crossed the border from Switzerland. We did a day trip from Como to Lugano and upon our return to Como, the Italian border guy gestured for us to pull to the side. I knew right away that he probably did not understand the tourist plate on a new BMW. We gave him our passports and the registration that we were told to guard with our lives; he walked away with them, I saw him discussing the situation with other border agents, came back and said, "You can go."
 

·
Not Wearing Pants
Joined
·
13,832 Posts
HudZo said:
I was talking about my ED with a friend this weekend (my favorite topic lately) and we were discussing the int'l drivers license you can get from AAA, which is basically your US license info translated into multiple languages. You really don't need one but it would probably make things go a bit easier if you got pulled over. Then I stared to wonder if anyone had been pulled over on an ED program since EU countries typically photograph your speeding car and mail you the ticket. In my two ED experiences I never ran afoul of the law (other than traffic wardens who questioned me about driving in downtown Florence when looking for our hotel; they were actually pretty cool about it).
Anyone here got any stories to share?
I was pulled over in Nice at a toll plaza. The goon squad with machine guns went through my car. They thought I was a drug dealer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Haha, twice in 10 days

I was pulled over twice in 10 days, plus had a couple of long waits at the Czech border, both German and Austrian. Haha, maybe its because I look young.

I was pulled over in Germany by an unmarked Audi that pulled in front and the cop held out a STOP sign out the window! Haha, I was not expecting that. They ran the registration, checked the luggage in my trunk, and let me go after about 15 minutes. In Austria, was pulled over near the Czech border by a marked police car. There was a quick check of the registration, no going through my luggage.

No tickets or hassles in any way, so I didn't mind too much. I actually merged to the right and let the Audi pass me, and then was surprised when I was pulled over!

I think it added to my experience :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
I was stopped at the Austrian side of the border on my way to Czech...they inspected the registration, vin number, the vin number on the engine, our passports...they really thought we were taking a stolen car into Czech, but that's good that they did that. They said "10 years ago this was eastern europe..it's a lot different than Germany and Austria"..they were really concerned about us driving there, said that this car was the favorite to steal, he said to park in a garage. I knew where I was staying at the Rennaissance would be pretty nice with other similar cars and it had an underground garage that I was going to use. I just asked him if there is any chance of a carjacking and he said no, that's all I was worried about. In the end, no problems in Czech the car stayed in the garage for two days. I did worry when I parked on the street for 5-10 minutes to go in the grocery store on the last day, but it was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
mavsman26 said:
I was pulled over in Germany by an unmarked Audi that pulled in front and the cop held out a STOP sign out the window! Haha, I was not expecting that.
SOP that's how I was pulled over too.
 

·
I roll thusly
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blueguydotcom said:
I was pulled over in Nice at a toll plaza. The goon squad with machine guns went through my car. They thought I was a drug dealer...
Actually, something similar happened to us although I wouldn't officially classify it as being pulled over. On our way back to Munich from Switzerland we crossed into Liechtenstein near Gamprin (no reason other than to say we'd been there). At the border this full on Gestapo-looking cat in jackboots and dienstrock with a mean looking piece of weaponry directed us to the side. It was a pretty desolate border crossing and there was no other traffic. He had his hands behind his back and casually looked us and the car over with a very skeptical look and said... "passports please" (how much cooler would it have been if he instead said "papers please"?)
Then he saunteres into the borderpost and stayed in there for something like fifteen minutes (it was probably closer to five, but at the time it seemed like forever). Finally he comes out, hands us back our passports, cracks the smallest smile and waves us on our way. Personally I think he just enjoyed scaring the crap out of a couple of tourists (but we did get a really cool stamp on our passports!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,012 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
We were not pulled over by police on our recent ED but we were told to pull over by the Italian border agents as we crossed the border from Switzerland. We did a day trip from Como to Lugano and upon our return to Como, the Italian border guy gestured for us to pull to the side. I knew right away that he probably did not understand the tourist plate on a new BMW. We gave him our passports and the registration that we were told to guard with our lives; he walked away with them, I saw him discussing the situation with other border agents, came back and said, "You can go.
1. Frence - Spain border
2. Austria - Switch border
3. This is how border from Switzerland to Italy looks like, no stop for our car.
 

Attachments

·
Vorsitzer
Joined
·
344 Posts
ED adventures mit der Polezi

Only once have I had any interaction with the officials and that was crossing from Switerland back into Germany. The German Zoll police pulled us over at for a check of the car, there was some concern about the vehicle being reimported into Germany for resale. After 15 or 20 minutes waiting, they came back and wished us ein gute fahren to Munchen. This is not a every time occurance as I had crossed this border on several ED's with no problems.:angel:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top