BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually will try to connect to Venice then Zurich, most likely in 1st-2nd week of April.
Some info on the net seems indicate winter tires are required all the way until April 15 in Austria, so I wonder.
TIA.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Depending on your car that you are getting you may be OK with all seasons as well - others will know for sure. April should be fairly safe for no snow between Munich and Salzburg but storms can happen. Also driving all the way through Switzerland may require winter tires as well - but I'm not sure of the dates.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This is what the UK Automobile Association says about winter tires in Austria:

Between 1 November and 15 April, vehicles must be fitted with winter tyres (which must
be marked M&S on the side walls and have a minimum tread depth of 4mm) or allseason
tyres which must be marked M&S (mud and snow) and if roads have a covering
of snow, slush or ice outside these dates.
Theoretically snow chains on summer tyres can be used as an alternative to winter tyres
where the road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road surface is
caused by the snow chains. In practice, because road conditions and the weather cannot
be predicted, use of winter tyres is effectively compulsory.

I have not seen any comments on what kind of fines people have to pay for breaking this rule. Nor have I seen reports of an insurance company denying any claims because of driving on summer tires during this period and are involved in an accident. So, as discussed in another recent ED thread, it probably boils down to your "risk tolerance" - mine is very low.

Can you delay your trip through Austria until after April 15?

Note too that Austria requires you to buy a vignette (available at gas stations near the Austrian Border, costs about $10) and have an International Driving Permit (about $20 at the AAA)

·
Registered
753 Posts
We picked up our 2015 528xi on April 2 and drove to FÜssen the next day encountered a snowstorm between the Wieskirche and our hotel near Füssen. Dropped about 4-5 inches in 2-3 hours. No problem in the 528xi with all seasons. The plows were out immediately and the main roads stayed clear. Next morning the sun was out and snow was rapidly melting. A week later driving into Salzburg from Altötting we encountered a heavy sleet storm just as we arrived at our hotel Blobergerhof. Made for exciting luggage schlepping. Got a big scratch on the trunk lip which was repaired at Port Hueneme. Next day was clear and we had no more severe weather in Bavaria. Bring warm clothing. I think it is a crapshoot with the weather in April, all seasons should be fine most Aprils. May is a better time to go airfares are still reasonable and the weather is much better. Another problem in April is German schools are on holiday for a week for Easter and many venues like Neuschwanstein are crowded

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We picked up our 2015 528xi on April 2 and drove to FÜssen the next day encountered a snowstorm between the Wieskirche and our hotel near Füssen. Dropped about 4-5 inches in 2-3 hours. No problem in the 528xi with all seasons. The plows were out immediately and the main roads stayed clear. Next morning the sun was out and snow was rapidly melting. A week later driving into Salzburg from Altötting we encountered a heavy sleet storm just as we arrived at our hotel Blobergerhof. Made for exciting luggage schlepping. Got a big scratch on the trunk lip which was repaired at Port Hueneme. Next day was clear and we had no more severe weather in Bavaria. Bring warm clothing. I think it is a crapshoot with the weather in April, all seasons should be fine most Aprils. May is a better time to go airfares are still reasonable and the weather is much better. Another problem in April is German schools are on holiday for a week and many venues like Neuschwanstein are crowded
Thanks.
fortunately or unfortunately, the car won't be an XI. :)
So I may have to change the itinerary or flexible with it depending on weather.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think if you are flexible and stay north of the alps you will be OK. Cold rain is the more likely scenario. Three years before our last ED we went in early april and saw only a few snow flurries and more rain. Did F¨ssen,Rothenburg obT the Rhein Valley and visited relatives in the Rheinland Pfalz. No Salzburg that time. Had some sunny days too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts