1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeps,

Realoem.com shows:

Profile Gasket 11417508114

which looks to be a seal between the oil filter cavity and oil pan/block (number 4 pictured here):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-01-2005-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=11_3254

Not sure if it is the culprit... but I have oil leaking like a sieve from the oil filter canister area. I am hoping it is just the canister and or seal but it case it is this seal... how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
not much help here but i recently took my car in for an oil change and also had to replace the oil gasket. Total cost for the gasket replacement was $260.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peeps,

Realoem.com shows:

Profile Gasket 11417508114

which looks to be a seal between the oil filter cavity and oil pan/block (number 4 pictured here):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-01-2005-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=11_3254

Not sure if it is the culprit... but I have oil leaking like a sieve from the oil filter canister area. I am hoping it is just the canister and or seal but it case it is this seal... how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks!
It's hard to picture where exactly this seal goes. ECS Tuning calls the same part number an oil pump o-ring. I found another view in realoem.com (#2) (part number 11417508114) :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-01-2005-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=11_3271

With the oil canister removed... I can't tell if this seal is missing or if I have to remove the lower oil pan to access it. It almost looks like it goes between the oil canister and oil pump housing (not the oil filter canister o-ring itself).

Anyone ever have to replace this part?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Close but no cigar. The PDF describes the replacement of the dreaded seal behind the alternator. The one I am concerned with is the seal by the oil filter canister. Keep looking I guess!

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,367 Posts
I re-read your post. I have to say I don't have your engine, so I could be off base here, but here goes...

I'm not sure you are looking for the right gasket. The oil pump o-ring is the thing you have pointed to in your Realoem pictures, but that is part of the oil pump and is enclosed inside the engine. You have to remove the oil pan to get at it. Now, you might need a new one, but that isn't the source of your external leak.

If you have an external leak coming from the oil filter housing area, it is likely the thing I posted. That is a common BMW leak on many models.

Again, I don't have your engine, but another thing it could be is a crimped oil filter o-ring. That's the one you change when you change your oil. I had one that BMW service installed improperly and get an oil leak.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I re-read your post. I have to say I don't have your engine, so I could be off base here, but here goes...

I'm not sure you are looking for the right gasket. The oil pump o-ring is the thing you have pointed to in your Realoem pictures, but that is part of the oil pump and is enclosed inside the engine. You have to remove the oil pan to get at it. Now, you might need a new one, but that isn't the source of your external leak.

If you have an external leak coming from the oil filter housing area, it is likely the thing I posted. That is a common BMW leak on many models.

Again, I don't have your engine, but another thing it could be is a crimped oil filter o-ring. That's the one you change when you change your oil. I had one that BMW service installed improperly and get an oil leak.
Thanks for responding! Yes; when the engine is running, I can visually see oil coming out of the oil filter housing starting in the area where it mates (screw into) the oil pump... and lots of it. I just ordered a new oil filter canister (housing) with new o-ring and am hoping this will fix the issue. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Profile gasket update...

So I removed the oil pan because after removing the oil filter canister, I noticed oil drops on the floor directly below the oil pan and definitely not coming from the oil filter area. I will be replacing the lower pan gasket.I attached a photo with what I believe realoem.com is calling a Profile Gasket 11417508114 (there is an arrow pointing to it. Not sure how to get at it but it sure looks like the upper pan needs to be removed to get to it. Also looks like even if the Profile Gasket was perished, it would not cause oil to leak out and and puddle on the floor. Think I'll just replace the canister and pan gasket and hope for the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
I've replaced that gasket but it wasn't leaking i had the bottom of the engine apart to change the alternator gasket so i went ahead and changed that seal + upper and lower oil pan seals. Though to be honest i did this about 3-4 months ago i cant remember at what point i had it replaced. From the picture you put it looks like your going to have to remove the upper oil pan to get to that seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts