BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 328i vert with a lit SRS Warning lamp. :mad: I realize that the Airbag warning indicator can only be reset by the dealer/shop or with a specific PEAKE tool. :thumbdwn: I'm hoping to find someone in the Northern Virginia (Reston) or Greater DC area that will be willing to reset my light for me at a nominal charge of a case of their favorite brewed beverage.
:bigpimp:

If a case isn't enough, then name your price, so long as it saves me a little and you exercise your skills with the PEAKE. Gracias, senors and senoritas.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You need to bring it to the dealer to find out why it went on. If it went on it went on for a reason, once you reset it it will eventually just turn back on again until you finally fix the problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I understand that, however most of the research I've done shows that the airbag warning light is highly sensitive to any or all of the following:

Driving the car through a large puddle, or being exposed to lots of rain
Leaving the top down over night and collecting dew in the interior
Spilling liquids on the seat cushions
Swapping steering wheels
Removing the gauge cluster to replace light bulbs
Aggressive and/or track driving
Accidentally disconnecting an SRS component while hooking up electrical accessories, like an alarm or stereo
Pulling a fuse for the SRS system while performing electrical troubleshooting.
Bad seatbelt sensor in the belt receptacle (common failure)

Not all of these things require any maintenance, other than simply reseting the sensor indicator (dash warning light). If it comes back on again, that would indicate a fault in the line. The PEAKE tool, from what I understand will also diagnose the fault and tell you what is causing the indication.

The major problem here is that most dealers/shops will charge you $80-120 to diagnose the problem and an additional fee to reset the lamp. For something that requires 10 minutes of work. I was quoted at one shop $300 flat. That's quite rediculous in my opinion.

I'm asking for someone to offer the use of their tool, ten minutes of their time and you get a case of brew. Not a bad offer, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.