BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since it was nearly 100 degrees I tried to precondition the i3 to cool it down only to find that I was forced to download the "new and improved" 'My BMW" app only to find it didn't work on my Android phone. Upon calling the BMW Connected folks I was told it's a known problem with Android phone but it does work on iPhones.
That's of little help to me, I guess BMW thinks everyone has an iPhone.

I'm so glad they didn't test the app especially during the 99 degree heat wave we've had here in Pennsylvania lately!!!
The kind folks at BMW Connected said that they are working on it . . . . . . . Hopefully it will work before we start getting snow and freezing rain !!

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,540 Posts
Well since it was nearly 100 degrees I tried to precondition the i3 to cool it down only to find that I was forced to download the "new and improved" 'My BMW" app only to find it didn't work on my Android phone. Upon calling the BMW Connected folks I was told it's a known problem with Android phone but it does work on iPhones.

I'm so glad they didn't test the app especially during the 99 degree heat wave we've had here in Pennsylvania lately!!!
The kind folks at BMW Connected said that they are working on it . . . . . . . Hopefully it will work before we start getting snow and freezing rain !!
Yeah, app has been pretty spotty. But timed preconditioning still works in the car, so if you know when you are leaving you can use departure times to precondition it.

You can also code one of the remote fob buttons to activate preconditioning, if you have the ability to code the car.

·
Registered
2021 BMW F87 M2 Competition
12 Posts
Haven't been able to log into the app since downloading it on my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE, but it seems like I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did code so I could use the entire gas capacity for the REX and turn it on past 75% but didn't know I could use my remote to turn on the climate control. Can that be done with the BimmerCode app and if so, what category is it under??

·
Registered
2018 BMW 530d
29 Posts
Well currently mine is returning zero results for any address searches in Auckland. It was working when I last used it a couple of weeks ago.

edit: and the support request email for NZ just bounced back as undeliverable too. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
Where did the 3d view go?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with the old app or the new one on my iPhone. Remote start, iPhone as a key, and everything else has worked without fail for me.

It seems to me that they just don’t want to devote any resources to Android development.

BMW is not a technology company. I finally accepted that reality and have set my expectations accordingly. Almost every other car maker does a better job with tech. BMW is bottom of the heap. Great cars, though.
We have a Mercedes GLE as well. The remote start function works only when it feels like working. Sometimes it won’t work for a week straight regardless of whether you are on iPhone or Android. Grass is always greener on the other side..... until you get there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3 icon on the screen is just what fits on the screen. Swipe yo the left to reveal hidden ones. 3D view is the last one among those.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If you're still having issues with the My BMW app, contact BMW Assist.

I had a multiple of issues with my account including the My BMW app. After speaking with several reps, I sent a message and demanded all the issues be resolved "within 48 hours." Sure 'nough the issues were resolved and my vehicles successfully added to the app.

Honestly, the Connected Drive app is much better than the My BMW app in terms of features.

Someone said BMW is not a technology company. I'll add, they're not and moreover not customer focused. They make great handling vehicles without dispute.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are having trouble connecting with Android, change you default browser to something other than Chrome. You should be able to connect now. Ounce you get connected change to login with your finger print. Now you can change your default back to Chrome.

I hope this helps, it worked for me.

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
I’m still waiting for the ability to import my calendar appointments like I could on the old app. Only thing I find useful and it doesn’t exist in the new app. The buffoon I spoke to said it will be released soon. That means before 2075 in BMW speak.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Doesn't work well on a iPhone either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in my experience, the MyBMW App is far more stable and works much faster than the old Connected Drive App. the Old Connected Drive App has disappeared from my Google playstore so it seems to now be discontinued.
Ive had MyBMW on my Android phone (Pixel 5 Android 11) for almost 6 months and it works perfectly. The Remote 3D View is much faster and very reliable.
If you are having login problems, it will probably be your browser on the Android phone; clear all the cookies & site data. And make sure that the in car MyBMW App is at the latest version, and of course the version on your phone should also be updated to latest version

·
Registered
2021 X5 xDrive 45e
163 Posts
Sorry to hear that some are having problems. I have an iPhone 11pro and it syncs flawlessly. No problem with the BMW Nav but I prefer Apple Maps. It picks up destination from the Apple calendar and I like the more colorful map. Pandora syncs through the iPhone and starts automatically when I get into the car through the Apple car play. At home I can tell Alexa to "ask BMW to ventilate the car", depending on ambient temperature it will cool or heat.

I’m in the middle of a two thousand mile road trip and have been marveling at all the technology. The intelligent cruise control is wonderful I no longer have to pause and reset the ICC every time a vehicle in front slows, it does it automatically and when the vehicle in front speeds up the ICC resumes the set speed. Turn on the Assisted Driving and it’s even better. It does need clearly marked lanes to work, and there are conditions when it momentarily is uncertain but when the lane markers are clear it has little problem. Mile after mile roll by with just wo fingers on wheel to reassure her that you’re still there. And when the vehicle in front slows a light touch on the turn signal and the BMW will even change lanes automatically, after checking to be sure the lane is open of course.

I have no experience with competitive systems and I’m sure some may prefer system X or Y but I’m very happy with iDrive 7 and all the new technology on my new 2021 BMW X5 45e.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problem with the BMW Nav but I prefer Apple Maps.
the BMW nav keeps taking me on crazy routes. first week i had the car, i was driving to my parents in PA, the BMW NAV took me off the highway to some poorly paved road which turned into a trail. before i knew it i was in the woods driving completely off road in the dirt and over huge boulders. no road signs, no road, no street lights, just woods. i drove to my parents before using google maps and that never happened. on the next trip i tried BMW NAV again just to see if it was a one time thing but it did the same thing. had to pull over and change to google maps again

but 2 good things came out of this. now i know that my 2021 X6 is an extremely capable of playing in the dirt and no one can ever tell me that i don't take my SUV off road. lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if My BMW records alarm events? I heard a car alarm going off last night (it woke me up) but it shut off before I finally decided it might warrant getting out of bed. It would be great if they sent you a text message or at least recorded the event. Anyone, it looks like it "wasn't me" and I still have my catalytic converter! The woes of having only one garage and two cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the BMW nav keeps taking me on crazy routes. first week i had the car, i was driving to my parents in PA, the BMW NAV took me off the highway to some poorly paved road which turned into a trail. before i knew it i was in the woods driving completely off road in the dirt and over huge boulders. no road signs, no road, no street lights, just woods. i drove to my parents before using google maps and that never happened. on the next trip i tried BMW NAV again just to see if it was a one time thing but it did the same thing. had to pull over and change to google maps again

but 2 good things came out of this. now i know that my 2021 X6 is an extremely capable of playing in the dirt and no one can ever tell me that i don't take my SUV off road. lol.
Glad to see it's not just Australian maps have have missing sections of major highways forcing people on ridiculous detours. Like you I was attempting to travel to a relative's house and the BMW Nav told me it would take 2hrs longer than Google Maps or Waze suggested. We set off and just ignored the detour as the township has had the major highway through it for the 30+yrs we've driven it, and sure enough there were blanked out bits of road.

I finally got the 2021-1 maps the other day and did a test nav to the same place. Same 2hr detour so I photographed the maps where the missing sections were, then screengrabbed Google Maps and HERE Maps to show them that the road is truly there. They wanted the GPS points of the missing sections which I provided, still waiting on a response and not holding my breath.

Back to the OP ... I hate the new app as they refuse to provide a Dark Mode option, there's no Metric option, and HERE Maps cannot understand Plus Codes as a destination. One can only put in locations with street numbers. In remote Australia street numbers are unheard of so navigating to these locations is impossible with My BMW but works perfectly in BMW Connected which is Google Maps based. So I can use Google Maps to locate my wife's family's farm's driveway, get the Plus Code, put it into BMW Connected as a destination and send it to the car ... works perfectly. My BMW has NFI what to do.

I am still using BMW Connected I'm glad they haven't turned it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to see it's not just Australian maps have have missing sections of major highways forcing people on ridiculous detours. Like you I was attempting to travel to a relative's house and the BMW Nav told me it would take 2hrs longer than Google Maps or Waze suggested. We set off and just ignored the detour as the township has had the major highway through it for the 30+yrs we've driven it, and sure enough there were blanked out bits of road.

I finally got the 2021-1 maps the other day and did a test nav to the same place. Same 2hr detour so I photographed the maps where the missing sections were, then screengrabbed Google Maps and HERE Maps to show them that the road is truly there. They wanted the GPS points of the missing sections which I provided, still waiting on a response and not holding my breath.

Back to the OP ... I hate the new app as they refuse to provide a Dark Mode option, there's no Metric option, and HERE Maps cannot understand Plus Codes as a destination. One can only put in locations with street numbers. In remote Australia street numbers are unheard of so navigating to these locations is impossible with My BMW but works perfectly in BMW Connected which is Google Maps based. So I can use Google Maps to locate my wife's family's farm's driveway, get the Plus Code, put it into BMW Connected as a destination and send it to the car ... works perfectly. My BMW has NFI what to do.

I am still using BMW Connected I'm glad they haven't turned it off.
You can share any address from Google maps to the MyBMW app; just locate the post code or plus code on Google Maps and select share to MYBMW and your car.
I'm in NZ and haven't had any issues with MyBMW here maps. They are just as accurate as Google,,(which itself isnt so good at times) Also in the latest software update for i-drive on the G20, you can now revert to the old 'classic' way of entering addresses, rather then the current method of just typing in anything..which I actually prefer.
I can enter any text into the MyBMW map "where do you want to go" field...it doesnt need to be a street number; it accepts business names, towns, villages, RD numbers for NZ etc
I'm unsure about your comment on no "metric" option. The MyBMW App takes its settings from your car so if the car is set to metric, the maps should also be in km etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know if My BMW records alarm events? I heard a car alarm going off last night (it woke me up) but it shut off before I finally decided it might warrant getting out of bed. It would be great if they sent you a text message or at least recorded the event. Anyone, it looks like it "wasn't me" and I still have my catalytic converter! The woes of having only one garage and two cars.
No it definitely doesn't do that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts