BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone hear experience an oil leak on 330?

1025 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Double Vanos
Anyone here experience an oil leak on 330?

Just wondering if anyone here has had any oil leak problems with their 330s. About 2 weeks ago i notice that my car was about half a quart low so i topped it off. Yesterday i take a peek under the front of the car and notice some sticking shiny stuff like tar on the cover under the engine. It looks as its being blow back from the air as the car is moving so i'm starting to wonder if i have an oil leaking problem. I plan to stop at the dealer tomorrow so they can take a look under it. For the record the car has on 8k miles on the odo i havent had the oil light come on since i topped it off and yesterday i checked the dipstick and the oil seems to be low almost a half quart. Please any feedback would be highly appreciated. :thumbup:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
From looking at the your sig picture, I think all those alien UFO orbs may have stolen your oil.

But no, my 2004 330i hasn't been down any oil with 7,000 on the clock. I changed my oil at 5,000 so that sort of resets it I suppose.
Update!

Just checked my oil after a long drive and the oil seems to be exactly at the max line on the dipstick. I think that when i checked it yesterday i did it too soon instead of waiting aleast 10 mins. For now the oil seems to be fine but i'm still puzzled by the shine stuff under the engine. Oh well we'll find out tommorrow.
I have the same car in imola red with about 9k miles on it, but I had an oilchange done at 7500. Better take it to the dealer, let me know what they say.
Double Vanos said:
Just wondering if anyone here has had any oil leak problems with their 330s. About 2 weeks ago i notice that my car was about half a quart low so i topped it off. Yesterday i take a peek under the front of the car and notice some sticking shiny stuff like tar on the cover under the engine. It looks as its being blow back from the air as the car is moving so i'm starting to wonder if i have an oil leaking problem. I plan to stop at the dealer tomorrow so they can take a look under it. For the record the car has on 8k miles on the odo i havent had the oil light come on since i topped it off and yesterday i checked the dipstick and the oil seems to be low almost a half quart. Please any feedback would be highly appreciated. :thumbup:
My oil filter was leaking after the last oil change - I could smell it burning on the exhaust somewhere, I returned it to the dealer and they fixed it and shampooed the engine.
cosmoline?
Double Vanos said:
Just got back from the dealer no leak thank god but a nail in my rear tire. Guess i'mout $300. :mad:
Dealer put it on the lift and they claim its some stuff the new cars are sprayed with at the VDC before they're sold. I went with them and took a look under the car pretty cool view btw. Anyways yeah the bottom of the whole car is covered in this stuff some kind of sealant i think.
Bayernwagen said:
I have the same car in imola red with about 9k miles on it, but I had an oilchange done at 7500. Better take it to the dealer, let me know what they say.
Double Vanos said:
Dealer put it on the lift and they claim its some stuff the new cars are sprayed with at the VDC before they're sold. I went with them and took a look under the car pretty cool view btw. Anyways yeah the bottom of the whole car is covered in this stuff some kind of sealant i think.
magbarn said:
cosmoline
Is that what they call it? My bad man i thought you were trying to be funny or something( you know gasoline cosmoline they rhythm :rofl: ) anyways i wish i would've asked you what you meant.
magbarn said:
cosmoline?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.