BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
a friend of mine was telling me about his father-in-law taking his car to a local shop, that does "Ming coating" and, according to him, it is amazing how shiny and spotless the paint becomes on the car after applying that stuff.
I was wondering if anybody here did this or heard of it before.
If yes, please share your experience with me

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The only coatings I have heard of that work are Opti-coat (Optimum Polymer Technologies), Aquartz (spelling) and GTechniq C1. Regardless of how you coat the paint you will still have to maintain it.

·
Plate O' Shrimp
326 Posts
The last time I heard about it was in about 1980, but yes, it has been around for a while. IMHO, no such coating replaces regular washing, polishing, waxing.

My own regimen is about like this (with a healthy dose of variation, as I largely do it when I feel the car needs it):
- wash, vacuum, clean glass every 5 to 10 days;
- wax every 4 to 6 weeks
- clay bar and polish every 6 to 8 months

The best thing about such a regimen is that, if anything bad happens to your car, you quickly find out about it, because you are intimately familiar with every inch of it.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The last time I heard about it was in about 1980, but yes, it has been around for a while. IMHO, no such coating replaces regular washing, polishing, waxing.

My own regimen is about like this (with a healthy dose of variation, as I largely do it when I feel the car needs it):
- wash, vacuum, clean glass every 5 to 10 days;
- wax every 4 to 6 weeks
- clay bar and polish every 6 to 8 months

the best thing about such a reginem is that, if anything bad happens to your car, you quickly find out about it, because you are intimately familiar with every inch of it.
I do pretty much the same except I typically wax every 4 to 6 months. I have spent hours trying to find the best product combination that is durable. For a BMW I think wheel washing every two weeks is a must.

·
Plate O' Shrimp
326 Posts
Agree - you have to stay on top of the wheel grunge. I wash the wheels - with a dedicated mitt - every car wash. Often it is the state of the wheels that prompts me to wash the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey everyone,
a friend of mine was telling me about his father-in-law taking his car to a local shop, that does "Ming coating" and, according to him, it is amazing how shiny and spotless the paint becomes on the car after applying that stuff.
I was wondering if anybody here did this or heard of it before.
If yes, please share your experience with me
I had a car Minged back in the 70's when I lived up in Edmonton. I think it lasted about a year.
I didn't know that they were still around.
Dealers use to offer this special coating on new car's.
I don't think it's any more than a high end power polish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the input.
After reading your opinions I decided not to get that stuff done to my 525i and take manners in my own hands and spend some quality time with my car waxing and polishing it.
Thank you all

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Open Question:

What cleaning, polishing, waxing, sealer, and wheel cleaning products do you use.
Car Wash - Optimum Car wash

Chemical Cleaner/Sealant: Klasse AIO

Polish/Glaze Chemical Guys Ez Creme

Sealant(s): Blackfire Wet Diamond

Wheel Cleaning Optimum Power Clean; Meguire's Wheel Brightener

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.