Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 97 Eclipse conv with a 5 speed with 76,000 miles

It's the GS model with leather . . . I figure it's better to go with a non-turbo so that it will be less expensive if there is a problem

I am going to check it out in a couple of days and the asking price is $8500.


What is this car worth ?

The miles are very high and the original owner says the car was never in an accident (which I'll have checked out).

This would be a 3rd car which I figure I could play around with . . . sound like a fun idea though the miles are very high

I figure I'd drive it 3000 miles a yr, so I'd keep it for 2 yrs and then sell it . . . so by that time it would be a 7 yr old car with miles in the low 80's.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
Alan,

Although the price is good, aren't the non-turbo's dogs?

Although I never drove a non-turbo Eclipse, I test-drove a GST and couldn't get past the torque steer. I test drove a GSX and thought that it was a fine car (in fact, the final 3 cars I narrowed my decision down to before I bought my GS-R in '96 were a new GSX, a used, forget what year, but it was 3rd generation RX7, and the Integra).

I agree with you about not wanting to buy a used Mitsu turbo--stay away...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Alan, I looked on Edmunds for the private party selling price. The only Eclipse I could find that was a convertible was the Spyder. With the only options being leather, a/c and radio w/cd/tape(did not know what the car had on it), the private party selling price was around $8000.00. Hope this helps.:)
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hts said:
Alan,

Although the price is good, aren't the non-turbo's dogs?
The Converitble non turbo is a Mitsu engine (I think the coupe non turbo was a chrysler product :dunno: ) The Coupe was a REAL dog but the convertible engine is pretty lively.

I've had the Eclipse Conv GS as a rental car in Florida and felt the power is pretty decent. All I am looking for is:
- a 4 seater convertible
- Manual Trans
- FWD
- Decent engine (0-60) in 9 secs or under)
- decent reliability (though Mitsu's aren't that great but they are better then American cars)
- fun to drive


The GS Conv meets all these criteria's plus I've always had a love for the way it looks (call me crazy) Also, I once had a 95 Eagle Talon (turbo) and your right, the torque steer is freakin out of control. I kept it for 2 months and then sold it to some kid . . . The GS doesn't have nearly the same torque steer due to the lower power.

Right now, I am trying to figure out what to offer this person if the car is clean because the High Mileage kinda of scares me off a little. I've never had a car with so much Mileage.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toniarae said:
Alan, I looked on Edmunds for the private party selling price. The only Eclipse I could find that was a convertible was the Spyder. With the only options being leather, a/c and radio w/cd/tape(did not know what the car had on it), the private party selling price was around $8000.00. Hope this helps.:)
cool, thanks for checking it out !!
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone reading this thread, I checked out the car and it was in an accident and was pretty raggy !! It looked decent from the outside but the shocks definately needed replacing (makes sense considering the mileage) ,.

Tthe clutch felt decent and didn't slip and the transmissoin felt decent as well.
It was missing some minor things like a spekaer grill, a sun visor, carpet in the truck, etc. so like I sadi, it was pretty raggy but the top worked and it drove decently.

If I could pick it up for $5,000 I'd take it . . .

I did a car fax and it came back that it was in accident around 37,000 miles on it, also I called the dealer but they won't give me any service history on it.

Does anyone know how I could get the service history ?
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
My brother still has his 95 GS coupe (after buying a new Tacoma Doublecab) with about that many miles on it.

Its reasonably reliable for a US made Mitsubishi (its better off than my old 94 Galant made in the same plant). Spyders got the SOHC version of my old Galant's 2.4l motor, which is reasonably reliable and has decent top end power but gets poor mileage, IMO. The car is pretty heavy for that power, (even worse in a Spyder) but with the MT, my brother's, which has a DOHC Neon motor, has enough pep for daily driving. If rattles annoy you, though stay very far away. The thing is like a baby's toy. In that condition with that history, $5-6k seems about the right range, IMO.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kaz said:
My brother still has his 95 GS coupe (after buying a new Tacoma Doublecab) with about that many miles on it.

Its reasonably reliable for a US made Mitsubishi (its better off than my old 94 Galant made in the same plant). Spyders got the SOHC version of my old Galant's 2.4l motor, which is reasonably reliable and has decent top end power but gets poor mileage, IMO. The car is pretty heavy for that power, (even worse in a Spyder) but with the MT, my brother's, which has a DOHC Neon motor, has enough pep for daily driving. If rattles annoy you, though stay very far away. The thing is like a baby's toy. In that condition with that history, $5-6k seems about the right range, IMO.
Kaz,

Is there any good websites your brother could recommend for the Eclipse so I could post a message and learn somethings about it ?

TIA
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Alan F said:


Kaz,

Is there any good websites your brother could recommend for the Eclipse so I could post a message and learn somethings about it ?

TIA
My brother has been out of the DSM scene for some time, but the core groups all stem from www.dsm.org. There was a small site that was started for the nonturbo Spyders some time ago but it seems pretty dead at this point. 4g64.20m.com I think.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Kaz, I appreciate the links . . . I think I am going to wait a few months or maybe even until late fall/early winter to get a Convertible. The prices right now are really high compared to what they are going to be then . . .

The owner of the car with 76,000 miles will go down to $8,000 which I think is not a bad price if the condition of the car was better.

I'd rather spend in the $12,000 range and get a lower mileage mint car !!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top