Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
that's my first name!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you check out the other bmw boards, but for those of you that don't...

ok folks...above is a CAD image of the 18" wheel. Final wheel will have silver center with machined lip...

for those in the know, RAC in conjunction with Champion motorsport makes one-piece forged wheels for bmw specific applications. The last two projects were the RG4 and the RS110 wheels for the E46 M3.

their latest project is the RG41 which is pictured above. Details follow below...get in on this group buy so i can get a set!

contact [email protected] for more info or to get in on the group-buy.

Wheel Details:

Construction:

The RG41s to include all RAC wheels are constructed via "spread" forging.
This process takes a single billet of 6061 aluminum and forges the entire
one piece wheel under extreme heat and pressure (T6 and 8000 tons). The
resulting product is a wheel that is unparalleled in strength and
durability. The added strength is what allows the wheels to be built
lighter than most competing products.

All wheels are JWL and VIA certified to be used on the E46M3. The design
has undergone extensive stress testing to insure that they exceed the
above standards.

Fitments:

Spread forged 9X18 et 38 (high estimate (19 lbs.)
Spread forged 10X18 et 26 (high estimate (19 lbs.)

Spread forged 9.X19 et 38 (high estimate (20 lbs.)
Spread forged 10.X19et 26 (high estimate (20 lbs.)

(Weights are high estimates and could be up to 1 lb. lower)

front wheel will have 1" lip
rear wheel will have 2.5" lip

Center caps:

All RAC wheels are built to accept the stock BMW roundel center cap. We
are in the process of provisioning elegant center caps with RAC Monolite
logo that will be befitting of the entire RAC line. These new caps will be
included with all RG41s.

Wheel center finishes:

Arctic Silver (Powder coated)
Anthracite (Powder coated)
Matte Black (Painted)
Hyper Silver (Painted)
Hyper Black (Painted)

Finishes will have to be done on a 3 set minimum. Meaning we may not be
able to do a finish if there are not 3 sets ordered of the same color. I
only mention this preliminarily as a precaution as we likely can find ways
to work your desired finish in.

The powder coated finishes are our standard applied using our highly
durable coating. The finish is applied in a dual stage process that first
lays down the color and then a powder coated clear coat. Examples of
Arctic silver can be found at www.racmonolites.com.

The other finishes I will be working getting pictures of finish samples or
actual wheels to help in the decision making process. Please let me know
if you would like to see a particular color.

Wheel lip finish:

The wheel lips will be finely machine cut. So fine that it is almost
undistinguishable from a polished wheel lip. They are then clear coated
with a clear powder coat for protection against the elements.

Wheel lugs:

The wheels will not be supplied with lugs but are built to accommodate the
lugs delivered with the car from the dealer. We can assist with locating
quality lugs and quite possibly organize a group purchase on these as
well.

Pricing:

18" wheel sets are $3200.00 for the initial group buy.
19" wheel sets are $3300.00 for the initial group buy.

The group buy is an outstanding opportunity to save substantially on what
will be some of the finest wheels available for the E46 M3.

The normal retail price for these wheels will be $200 higher per wheel.
This group purchase will actually save $800 per set. We offer this savings
firstly because we feel that the community needs opportunities such as
these to acquire a wheel of this caliber that might normally be out of
budget. Secondly.. we understand that it can be difficult to buy wheels
sight unseen. Be assured that this wheel will be as described and that RAC
stands behind their products 100%. To date we have over one hundred
satisfied E46 M3 customers.

Shipping:

Shipping is approx $120 per set from or facility in Pompano Beach, Florida
to the furthest continental U.S. location. Shipping will be the actual
cost to your door. No more, no less.

Deposits:

Deposits of $1500.00 are required at the time you place your order.
Deposits are non-refundable after the final group order is placed
with the factory short of any unforeseeable and extended delay during
manufacturing and delivery. The balance will be due just before the wheels
are shipped to you.

Availability:

Replacements for those that might unforeseeably damage their wheels
will be kept in stock and readily available at all times.

Time to Delivery:

Approx 90-100 days from the time the order is accepted at the factory.
Expect regular updates during the production cycle. The first being when
actual production starts.. a second when they are ready to ship from the
factory (prior to the 30 day overseas trip), and then when they are
actually ready to ship to your door.

Ordering:

Orders, deposits, and final payment will be collected by our partner
ChampionMotorsport. Payment can be made by Credit Card or
cashier's check only. Since these wheels are effectively
being sold initially at wholesale prices. The 3% fee added
by the credit card companies will be added to all credit card
sales. The price could be adjusted on all sales by 3% but we
are determined to keep the price of the wheels as low as
possible for everyone.

I will need all pertinent ordering information before supplying
buyers with a contact at Champion Motorsport to place an order.
Pertinent info includes your.. full name, shipping address, billing
address, and phone number, wheel size, and color choice.

Current Time to Order:

Approx 3 weeks (Could be sooner once initial demand is ascertained)

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have regarding the
project. There is never a question that is not worth asking! Again thank
you for your extended patience.. we assure you that it will be rewarded!

some additional info:

Wheels will be ONE PIECE FORGED by Champion Motorsport.

Besides forged wheels for Audi, Porsche and Ferrari applications.
They build wheels in house for the
Champion Audi RS6 (Speed World Challange)
the R8/LMP900 (ALMS) race teams
Dinan Seven Spoke wheel
Evosport RG-8 wheel.

The forging process that will be used is the best out there using 8000 ton forging machines. As far as i know only Champion and BBS have access to these type of 8000 ton forging machines. I believe there are only 4 or 5 in the world. BBS has two of them i think.

to illustrate the difference of what i'm talking about...
all forged wheels are not the same...

lets take the most popular...
HRE
Fikse
Kinesis
and the many other companies that produce two and 3 piece wheels.
They use forged centers but the rim halfs are spun aluminum that come in 1/2 increments.

I know that Kinesis uses a 3500 ton forging press. (They do have one wheel that uses a process comparable to this wheel.)
Forgeline uses a 6000 ton forging press.

the Monolite wheel is forged from a single billet all the way through the forging process. Each wheel can consume up to 40 hrs on the forge as they are "spread" under 8000 tons of pressure and extreme heat to shape the entire wheel.

This amount of forging pressure is uncommon among wheel manufacturers and results in superior grain alignment, strength, and as anything built to the next level... cost $$$.

I say uncommon, but there are others that use a simlar process... BBS for example. Then there are a few other wheels.. Dinan, select Forgeline, one wheel by Kinesis, and of course Champion, that are direct cousins to the RAC Monolite.

Once the basic wheel has been forged, the spoke windows and other details are then CnC machined from the basic wheel. every bit of spoke and rim is CNC'd - major difference in cost and also, the amount of time the billet needs to stay on the flange is significantly altered as a by-product. there are other steps along the way but that is the basic process. Finally they are sent off to a labratory grade clean room for final finishing etc.

When you take into consideration the quality of manufacturing involved in these wheels and the comparable competition the price is not unreasonable especially if you check how much BBS is charging for the LM these days. Also Champion motorsport for there Porsche applications usually has the following price ranges:
$1000-1300 each for front depending on size
$1300-1600 each for rear depending on size.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How much do the stock BMW 17" roadstar wheels for the Z3M weigh?

·
M
204 Posts
Are these custom offsets for the M Coupe/Roadster or are these E46 M3 wheels and will require spacers?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Esteves said:
Are these custom offsets for the M Coupe/Roadster or are these E46 M3 wheels and will require spacers?
Custom.

Edit: My bad. Custom for E46 M3. Thought these will be made specifically for M Coupe/Roadster.

·
1,421 Posts
rukman said:
Fitments:

Spread forged 9X18 et 38 (high estimate (19 lbs.)
Spread forged 10X18 et 26 (high estimate (19 lbs.)

Spread forged 9.X19 et 38 (high estimate (20 lbs.)
Spread forged 10.X19et 26 (high estimate (20 lbs.)
that's awfully wide for the fronts, no?

inner clearance would be 16mm less

outer position would extend an extra 22mm

of course, that size front would be perfect for my rears (stock - 8.5 ET41).

·
Registered
75 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one piece vs. two/three piece wheels provided all are custom manufactured for a particular application, ie. custom offsets?

·
that's my first name!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Esteves said:
the wheels are actually designed with custom offset for the E46 M3. However, it just happens that they will work on the M-coupe. I'm just trying to piggyback with them since i have been unable to get 10 m-coupe owners to agree to one style to get custom specification wheels for us. I've been trying since 2004 and it ain't just happening :(

Ideally i'd run an 8.5" wheel in the front, but the 9" will work. It'll just be a tight squeeze. Pat Avakian had test fitted a 19x9 RG4 wheel a couple of months ago on his m-coupe and it did fit.

The rear wheel is pretty much exactly what we would need.
The stock m-coupe wheel is 17x9, ET 8mm, with a 245/40/17 tire
The 18x10 RG41, ET 26mm, with a 285/30/18 tire has the following stats relative to the stock wheel.

overall diameter is within 0.01"
Wheel inboard increase = 1.208"
Wheel outboard decrease = .208"
Tire /w Wheel Inboard increase (inches): 1.493"
Tire /w Wheel Outboard increase (inches): 0.076"

You don't need to run a spacer, but i'd probably run one just to bring the wheel out a bit for visual enhancement :)

·
that's my first name!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zimpwh said:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one piece vs. two/three piece wheels provided all are custom manufactured for a particular application, ie. custom offsets?
The major advantage of this wheel vs anything else on the market (save Champions own monolite line and specific examples i've highlighted before) is very high strength with minimal weight. These 18" wheels will be lighter than stock but much much stronger due to the fact they are forged.

read the following link to learn about different wheel construction techniques.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=90

Addtionally, most "custom wheels" may feature a forged center section, but the most important part of the wheel that is most susceptible to bending is not forged and this is the rim section. These rims sections are usually made of "spun" aluminium rim halves which are mated to the forged centers. So you're getting a lighter wheel compared to the cast variety due to the forged center, but not really any increase in wheel strength at the area that needs it the most. One exception to this is the BBS LM which is one of the few, if not only, two piece wheel that features not only a forged center section but also forged rim section. Part of the reason why the LM is so expensive.

The main reason that most of the custom wheel companies use forged center sections paired to spun wheel rim halves is that is affords them great flexibility in fitting various applications. The forged center section can be mated up to varying rim width halves to potentially fit almost any car out there.

A one-piece forged rim such as the RG41 means that the whole entire wheel is forged from center to the rim lip. The wheel is pretty much pressed into its final configuration under 8000 pounds of pressure and then CNC'd to give final dimensions. This of course means that the rim must be designed to fit the application and essentially limits it to only this application unless the design happens to fit something else in terms of offsets,etc. Ultimately the most desirable factor still is the lighter weight vs two/three pieces wheels and more importantly the high strength in the area most suceptable to damage from potholes,etc....the rim lip.

·
M
204 Posts
rukman said:
the wheels are actually designed with custom offset for the E46 M3.

Thanks. I already knew the answer, but thought I'd ask in case anyone else was wondering (and also secretly hoping they might have been specific for the M Coupe/Roadster).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was also hoping they would fit the M Roadster without spacers. I wish we could gather enough interest here to have a group buy on 8.5" fronts and 10" rears with exact M Roady/Coupe specs. Something about dropping that much cash on wheels that are "almost" the correct size bothers me.

·
M
204 Posts
With these cars, you won't get an exact fit unless you go custom.

Rukman tried to get interest earlier for a set of wheels through this company that was specifically made for the M Coupe/Roadster, but couldn't get 10 buyers from this crowd, so its unlikely it will happen again (no one was willing to agree on one design).

Sounds to me like this is the closest the M Coupe/Roadster folks are going to get in getting a wheel this strong, this light at this price.

Technically, the back wheel will fit without spacers, but a small 10mm spacer will bring the wheel out closer to the edge of the wheel wheel. That's much more acceptable than a large 30mm spacer that some aftermarket wheels might need.

·
1,421 Posts
Esteves said:
Technically, the back wheel will fit without spacers, but a small 10mm spacer will bring the wheel out closer to the edge of the wheel wheel. That's much more acceptable than a large 30mm spacer that some aftermarket wheels might need.
i haven't experimented with wheels on my car, so i don't know how much space is back there or if the M would be that much different in terms of suspension clearance

M stock rear is 9in wide ET8, right? These rears (10in ET26) would take up 31mm of inner clearance and retract 5mm into the wheel well. That sounds pretty substantial to me. Even with a 10mm spacer, it would still eat about an inch of inner clearance (21mm) - that wouldn't rub on anything?

·
M
204 Posts
mng said:
... that wouldn't rub on anything?
It depends on the kind of suspension you have.

Lowering springs or spring with adjustable perch
Type of shock

Someone can correct my math if I've got it all wrong.... (1 inch = 25.4mm)

The stock rear is 9 inches wide and has an 8mm offset.

In order to have a 10 inch wide wheel lip line up the same with the fender as the 9 inch wide wheel lip, the offset of the 10 inch wide wheel would be 8mm+25.4mm=33.4mm (34mm). (Think of it as extending the 9 inch wheel width 1 inch towards the shock - the wheel looks to clear the shock near as I can tell by looking at it). So, a custom 10 inch wide wheel for our application would ideally have a 34mm offset to bolt on with no problems.

These RAC wheels are 10 inch wide, with a 26mm offset. That's 8mm difference from the ideal wheel calculated above. So, mounted without a spacer, the wheel will appear to be sunken inside the wheel well 8mm inside and will be 8mm closer to the shock (still looks like it clears the shock when looking at it from below and holding a small ruler).

A 10mm spacer will adjust the offset to 36mm. Now the difference is 2mm and the wheel with the spacer will now be pushed out 2mm (instead of in) which clears the fender with no problem.

At least, that's the way I calculate it, but someone with higher math skills will probably chime in.

·
M
204 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
BBS LMs do have fitment for the mcoupe or roadster.

For the front, you can have 8 wide, 8.5 wide or 9 wide on 18in wheel. This is all depends on what you want and what you can accomodate (suspension).

For a stock coupe or coupe with replaced spring/shock, the conservative size would be 8 wide on 18 diameter for the front.

For the rear of a stock coupe or replaced spring/shock, 10 wide on 18 diameter fits but you need a 5mm spacer. BBS recommends the spacer.

The front wheels are sold by BBS USA. The rear has to be sourced from BBS Japan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts