Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here. I***8217;ve been around bmws for years. I am in the process of freshening up a 1998 m3 sedan. My wife has taken over driving it and the things that didn***8217;t bother me need addressing. One of those thing was the blower motor not working.
I have replaced FSU. I have swapped fuses and relays. I have ***8216;fixed control panel. Blower still non op. Today I have car torn down to the blower. I have tested voltage. With control panel on high, I had 2.59v at low setting, I had 0.73v. What is the voltage supposed to be?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
~Ryan

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,466 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Doug for your quick reply. I have to say your knowledge and degree of expertise is much higher than mine. I***8217;m am not 100% what you mean.
I have unplugged motor. I am checking voltage at where motor would connect. Are you saying I cannot get a proper reading with volt meter?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,466 Posts
Oops. Sorry, I was wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally pulled blower motor out without breaking it. I did loose a tiny clip and i am a bit worried about putting it all back together. I bench tested motor by attaching jumpers from terminals to battery. The motor spun freely. I am assuming that either I had bad connection or something down the line is not working correctly. I***8217;ve replaced the FSU with factory new. The old was was factory and not that old. The control panel lights up proper. I***8217;ve swapped fuse and relay. Anybody have any ideas why my motor doesn***8217;t spin? I would feel better if I got my wife some heat. Cold weather quickly on the way.

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
i always check motors with a test light for power, but unless otherwise specified in the specs, battery voltage is default voltage for power.

do a voltage drop test on the ground side of the circuit to ensure a solid ground if there is power on the circuit.

df

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
When you say you "fixed the control panel" what fix did you do? Was it the capacitor fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I replaced the capacitor in control unit. All functions appear to work(except blower).
I pulled the plug on the FSU. There are 5 wires in plug. There are no #s on plug. I cannot find a wire diagram and I***8217;m not sure what to check or what readings to expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fixed it! After all that trouble it was just a fuse. I had thought I swapped the correct fuses, but apparently I didn***8217;t. Oh well. I can now change a blower motor or wiper motor if ever needed. Cleaned up a lot of leaves in the crevices. Lubed pivot points on wipers. Made the best if it. I***8217;m happy now. My wife has heat for her toes and hopefully windows won***8217;t fog up as much. Thanks for all those who took the time to read and to help. I appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts