BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I cut this off....... does anyone know if this little rubber gizmo serves any purpose?
 

Attachments

·
Do the interns get Glocks
Joined
·
9,324 Posts
its the air bag sensor for a front end crash... :confused:


Nice socks and crotch shot by the way. :thumbup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
:rofl:

Well, my car doesn't have one...could you sent me yours when you cut it off??

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
Before I cut this off....... does anyone know if this little rubber gizmo serves any purpose?
Are you sure it is rubber? It looks like a cigarette butt they forgot to leave in TitGray5's car. Those pesky Germans can be so inconsistent.

Bill
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BillP said:
Are you sure it is rubber? It looks like a cigarette butt they forgot to leave in TitGray5's car. Those pesky Germans can be so inconsistent.

Bill
I am familiar with the thread that you refer to here BillP. That is COLD! :bustingup
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
That is funny!!! I went to mount the ED plate and none of the holes on the plate match the ones on the frame. Should I remove the frame and just drill another hole on the ED plate to match the holes on the bumper.
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yamilrx said:
That is funny!!! I went to mount the ED plate and none of the holes on the plate match the ones on the frame. Should I remove the frame and just drill another hole on the ED plate to match the holes on the bumper.
That's what I would do, if it's legal in your state.

So what's up with this little rubber thing? Did you have it on your car? I think it's just some left over piece of rubber from when they molded the US license plate holder. :dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
Before I cut this off....... does anyone know if this little rubber gizmo serves any purpose?
Spart, you know what I am wondering?

How is BMW centering the front license plate frame on the bumper? Surely they aren't eyeballing it or anything. Could that be some kind of centering device?

Arn, you took the front license plate off...any indication how they centered it on the bumper before drilling (nearly) irreversible holes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Spart, you know what I am wondering?

How is BMW centering the front license plate frame on the bumper? Surely they aren't eyeballing it or anything. Could that be some kind of centering device?

Arn, you took the front license plate off...any indication how they centered it on the bumper before drilling (nearly) irreversible holes?
Eyeball as far as I can tell. Maybe there's some marking that I didn't notice.
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
No, I did not have that rubber piece on my plate. I am sure it is a piece left over when the frame was manufactured. I'd cut it off. Are you mounting the ED German plate on top of that frame or is it not legal in your state. Here in florida it is legal.
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yamilrx said:
No, I did not have that rubber piece on my plate. I am sure it is a piece left over when the frame was manufactured. I'd cut it off. Are you mounting the ED German plate on top of that frame or is it not legal in your state. Here in florida it is legal.
Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.

At first I thought it was some sort of drain tube for getting rid of the water that might get trapped behind that ugly US license plate holder.

End of thread! All is well...........

Oh ya... Euro plate is illegal is Washington State. I have my front one in my office at work and the other above my work bench in the garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
yamilrx said:
That is funny!!! I went to mount the ED plate and none of the holes on the plate match the ones on the frame. Should I remove the frame and just drill another hole on the ED plate to match the holes on the bumper.
Did they mount your ED plate to the US plate frame with screws or double-sided tape? When I went to take off the US plate frame on my 545 after I got it back, there were two small "proto-holes" that were created when they screwed the ED plate onto the US plate frame with screws that were a little too long. I just took a drill, routed out the "proto-holes" and screwed the ED plate right into them. The bumper plastic is soft enough that the screws will self-tap and thread in nicely (as long and you don't rout out the holes too wide).

When I mounted the plate onto the bumper, the holes from them mounting the US plate holder were completely covered by the ED plate.

I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder. Oh well.

-MrB
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
mrbelk said:
Did they mount your ED plate to the US plate frame with screws or double-sided tape? When I went to take off the US plate frame on my 545 after I got it back, there were two small "proto-holes" that were created when they screwed the ED plate onto the US plate frame with screws that were a little too long. I just took a drill, routed out the "proto-holes" and screwed the ED plate right into them. The bumper plastic is soft enough that the screws will self-tap and thread in nicely (as long and you don't rout out the holes too wide).

When I mounted the plate onto the bumper, the holes from them mounting the US plate holder were completely covered by the ED plate.

I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder. Oh well.

-MrB
Actually now I remember, when I returned the car in Nice I had to unscrew it off so that means that I had a different plate holder that matched the ED plate holes b/c the one I have now does not match. But why would they replace that if the one in Europe was still not wide enough to hold the Ed plate. I might just drill one hole onto the plate holder rather than remove the plate holder and screw a new hole onto the ED plate. :dunno:
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.
Hey Spart, Next time you are on my side of town IM me before and maybe we can hook up to have a beer. I actually live near Ft. Lauderdale area. :thumbup:
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
Here are some pics of what I finally did to mount the Ed plate. :thumbup: I ended up just drilling 2 holes onto the license plate frame and mounting it on top of it. I would have rather mounted it directly onto the bumper but I did not want to drill new holes on the bumper itself. I am worried that plate will get stolen, I know the young kids like those. :mad:

#1 freshly washed with new window tints added.
#2, 3, and Ed plate mounted
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
yamilrx said:
Here are some pics of what I finally did to mount the Ed plate. :thumbup: I ended up just drilling 2 holes onto the license plate frame and mounting it on top of it. I would have rather mounted it directly onto the bumper but I did not want to drill new holes on the bumper itself. I am worried that plate will get stolen, I know the young kids like those. :mad:

#1 freshly washed with new window tints added.
#2, 3, and Ed plate mounted
That's weird. My front Euro plate has a diff hole locations than my rear Euro plates. The one you are showing is the same one as the one I got for the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
mrbelk said:
Did they mount your ED plate to the US plate frame with screws or double-sided tape? When I went to take off the US plate frame on my 545 after I got it back, there were two small "proto-holes" that were created when they screwed the ED plate onto the US plate frame with screws that were a little too long. I just took a drill, routed out the "proto-holes" and screwed the ED plate right into them. The bumper plastic is soft enough that the screws will self-tap and thread in nicely (as long and you don't rout out the holes too wide).

When I mounted the plate onto the bumper, the holes from them mounting the US plate holder were completely covered by the ED plate.

I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder. Oh well.

-MrB
I have those Proto-holes too! :mad:
 

·
Have a world-class day
Joined
·
756 Posts
arnolds said:
That's weird. My front Euro plate has a diff hole locations than my rear Euro plates. The one you are showing is the same one as the one I got for the rear.
Interesting, that could explain why my holes did not match with the Ed plate here in US. I remembered unscrewing it off in Nice which means the holes matched and the front frame was different. Oh well!! Now resolved.
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yamilrx said:
Spartacus_33 said:
Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.

Hey Spart, Next time you are on my side of town IM me before and maybe we can hook up to have a beer. I actually live near Ft. Lauderdale area. :thumbup:
Will do....... see you in December!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top