BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I was taking my center console trim off today and I saw this wiring underneath the trim. I think it could have been from the cigarette lighter but not sure why it would have these things attached it from factory
So anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,855 Posts
Not factory; that's a shameful hack by a previous owner. BMW does not assemble cars with wire nuts and duct tape. :rolleyes:

Ciggy lighter circuits are a favorite power source to tap for aftermarket accessories that are switched on/off with the ignition. Is that (aftermarket) shift knob illuminated? That's one guess...trace the wires if you want a definitive answer.

Reactions: Doug Huffman

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Why would anyone want such shift knob? Doesn't like original with leather and M?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
what are those little devices? LEDs?? What were they taped TO?

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,649 Posts
Yes they are LED's.
I too wouldn't mind hearing what they were duct taped to.

Reactions: Zeichen311

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,753 Posts
OMG

Those are listening devices, commonly disguised as LED's to disarm suspicion.

Beware! Do you own Bitcoin? Are you engaged in political discussion? Have you strong opinions?

Change your cell SIM card, and do it quick, YourAverageN54. Encrypt your communications and look into hardware to encrypt, decrypt with a diff key; encrypt with a 3rd key before transmission.

Trust nobody. Go black. We'll see you on the other side.

·
5,855 Posts
Yes they are LED's.
I too wouldn't mind hearing what they were duct taped to.
Me three. I didn't notice they were LEDs; just dismissed them as support circuitry for some unseen kit.

Poor man's "ambient lighting" retrofit? Though I like Cal's take on it....

·
5,855 Posts
Reactions: HotGrbg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed the trim and it was tape to the bottom of the coin tray that has the flip up lid. The car doesn't have a cigarette lighter in the tray either like my old one did. I figure they are some sort of LED im not really too sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would anyone want such shift knob? Doesn't like original with leather and M?
Good thing it's not your car. Mine came with a heavy aftermarket steel ball and this I like much more and its still genuine bmw and a alcantara boot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts