BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know folks generally rave about the improvement in ride quality in going from rft to non-rft tires but I'm wondering about instances of sidewall bulges. Twice now in less than 6000 miles I have had sidewall issues with the Bridgestone re050a rft requiring replacement. Looking at the cost and I could get 4 non-rfts for the price of 2 of the damn Bridgestones.

Does the stiffer sidewall make them more susceptible to sidewall bulges or is this just life with low profile 18 inch tires?

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
I know folks generally rave about the improvement in ride quality in going from rft to non-rft tires but I'm wondering about instances of sidewall bulges. Twice now in less than 6000 miles I have had sidewall issues with the Bridgestone re050a rft requiring replacement. Looking at the cost and I could get 4 non-rfts for the price of 2 of the damn Bridgestones.

Does the stiffer sidewall make them more susceptible to sidewall bulges or is this just life with low profile 18 inch tires?
No issues with my 19" PSS tires.:)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

That is very difficult question which would require detailed analysis of many different aspects like tire construction and dynamics, your driving habits and conditions. and I am afraid you will never get any reasonably accurate answer...
Having same as PSS side height - flexing in rft is substantially reduced by stiffer walls so you can imagine that you riding not on 18 but 20 inch wheel equivalent

I have done cost and risk analysis some time ago and it looked like that for the price of 4x RFT , I can buy 4x new PSS plus brand new spare kit and have money left for good steak dinner with wife.
So you end up with better tire, better ride quality plus cheaper and easy to find replacements if necessary for the cost of trunk space if you choose to carry spare in your trunk. I actually don't have spare - have $6 patch kit, $19 jack and small $25 compressor - all of this fits in the trunk cavities and in case I can't fix it on the road I have number for road service in my phone.
And when I switched to PSS - I got good price for my 3 slightly used RFT - from people like you :) so it actually ended up costing me almost nothing to switch.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is very difficult question which would require detailed analysis of many different aspects like tire construction and dynamics, your driving habits and conditions. and I am afraid you will never get any reasonably accurate answer...
Having same as PSS side height - flexing in rft is substantially reduced by stiffer walls so you can imagine that you riding not on 18 but 20 inch wheel equivalent

I have done cost and risk analysis some time ago and it looked like that for the price of 4x RFT , I can buy 4x new PSS plus brand new spare kit and have money left for good steak dinner with wife.
So you end up with better tire, better ride quality plus cheaper and easy to find replacements if necessary for the cost of trunk space if you choose to carry spare in your trunk. I actually don't have spare - have $6 patch kit, $19 jack and small $25 compressor - all of this fits in the trunk cavities and in case I can't fix it on the road I have number for road service in my phone.
And when I switched to PSS - I got good price for my 3 slightly used RFT - from people like you :) so it actually ended up costing me almost nothing to switch.
You are right - getting an accurate answer will be difficult. It *seems* like more people complain about sidewall issues such as bubbles and bulges with run flats. However, anecdotal "data" is always dangerous.

I didn't think about selling my run flats...hmmm...

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
I'm like a one-man destroyed-tire statistics engine. I have literally lost track of how many tires (and wheels) I've replaced or repaired. Both run-flat and go-flat. Long Island roads are pretty 3rd world.

In any case, I've had about the same numbers of failing sidewalls from potholes, run- or go-flat.

That's my (approximately 10? 15? ......20?) data point(s).

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
You are right - getting an accurate answer will be difficult. It *seems* like more people complain about sidewall issues such as bubbles and bulges with run flats. However, anecdotal "data" is always dangerous.

I didn't think about selling my run flats...hmmm...
When I destroyed one of my back ones, I ditched them for the PSS. Sold the fronts that had about 80% tread left to a guy turning in his 335is lease. Buyers are out there. It took awhile, but they sold.

·
Registered
960 Posts
This is anecdotal, so of course, take with a grain of salt.

I've used two RFTs. OEM Continentals, and currently, Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S. Neither ever saw sidewall bulges. The only time I ever had a sidewall issue was on a snow tire (non runflat) after the winter and I hit a pothole.

I would hazard to say that it's simply a difference of causation and correlation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I cannot comment on the odds. I can say I personally have not any issues. I did not like the run flats (prior to switching) but I kept them for their lifespan and did not have issues. No with the new non run flats either. I was not cheap on the install and used a top rep shop with road force balancing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After reading dozens of tirerack reviews (starting with the lowest rated) it seems there are many complaints about sidewall bubbles/bulges with the Bridgestones. Only *one* report I found with tires like the Michelin PSS and none with the S-04s. Again, not scientific, but there seems to be a pattern. I think I am going to get rid of my run flats and go for either the PSS or S-04s.

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Good choice. Many have debated endlessly over RFT vs. Non-Rft. RFT's have improved however your comfort is and will always be compromised. For me non-rft make complete sense in several categories. However, and this is the most important, it all depends on what your roads are like where you live and surrounding areas. NY folk always get clobbered by their roads/potholes, etc. so it makes sense for them to purchase bricks (RFT's). I have picked up a nail/screw or two over the years but that's it! No bubbles or anything out of the ordinary. The answer is simple... I HATE RFT's!!!!! PSS is the hands down choice IF you want the best however there are few close 2nd's which will save you money if that's what you feel you need to do for piece of mind...save a dollar.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When it was time for me to replace the OEM run-flats, a good friend of mine who's a professional racecar driver recommended the PSSs (which he had on his badass M5) and the Conti DWSs. Well, I went with the PSSs because they were less expensive than the DWSs and I am glad I did.
I am very satisfied with these PSSs and I am now on my 2nd set after replacing the 1st set a month ago.
Also, I bought a used jack, used compact spare, and lug wrench for added comfort which came in handy when one of the tires when flat last summer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When it was time for me to replace the OEM run-flats, a good friend of mine who's a professional racecar driver recommended the PSSs (which he had on his badass M5) and the Conti DWSs. Well, I went with the PSSs because they were less expensive than the DWSs and I am glad I did.
I am very satisfied with these PSSs and I am now on my 2nd set after replacing the 1st set a month ago.
Also, I bought a used jack, used compact spare, and lug wrench for added comfort which came in handy when one of the tires when flat last summer.
How many miles did you get out of your PSSs? I know there are less expensive choices like the S-04s but I heard the argument made that the PSS last longer and aren't really any more expensive when tread life is taken into account.

·
Registered
773 Posts
How many miles did you get out of your PSSs? I know there are less expensive choices like the S-04s but I heard the argument made that the PSS last longer and aren't really any more expensive when tread life is taken into account.
Got approximately 39,400+ miles on the first set of PSSs. Probably could've gone another 500 miles on them, or hit the 40K mark, but I felt it's time to replace them since the rears were just about at the tread wear indicator depth.
I expect to get about the same miles on this new set which I've had for almost a month now. Need to get alignment since I haven't had it done in more than a year.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Bubbles in the sidewall are typically from rubbing the curb. They don't have much to do with tire design. Though I would think a RFT tire would stand up to bubbles better than a non-RFT due to the reinforced sidewall.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Got approximately 39,400+ miles on the first set of PSSs. Probably could've gone another 500 miles on them, or hit the 40K mark, but I felt it's time to replace them since the rears were just about at the tread wear indicator depth.
I expect to get about the same miles on this new set which I've had for almost a month now. Need to get alignment since I haven't had it done in more than a year.
whoa, you got that many miles on a set of PSSs?!

I didn't think you'd realistically get more than 20k max out of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone gone back from non RFT to RFT ? I do not think so, the car is plainly converted into more comfort and more predictable when car wants to slide sidewards ! Whether my 2010 328 or 2013 335i , I would never go back to these stupid RFT ! Love my continental Extreme DW or bridgestone Ultragrip 8 performance winter tires !!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 18 inch tires. I hated the run flats, but did not have problems with them (aside from ride quality). I made the switch to non runflats and do not have problems with these either (but enjoy a much smoother ride).

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Has anyone gone back from non RFT to RFT ? I do not think so, the car is plainly converted into more comfort and more predictable when car wants to slide sidewards ! Whether my 2010 328 or 2013 335i , I would never go back to these stupid RFT ! Love my continental Extreme DW or bridgestone Ultragrip 8 performance winter tires !!
Never heard of anybody going from RFT to non-RFT and than back but friend of mine bought a car with non-RFT (and no spare) and replaced them with RFT because of his obsession
"what happens if my wife drives in the middle of nowhere and gets a flat tire"?

and my arguments did not convinced him (it was probably her - I guess) :)

Funny.. I asked my wife what would she do if she had non-RFT and got flat in the middle of nowhere?
She said "same as usual - I would call you"
- and if there was no cell connection? -
" I would wait for somebody to drive by and ask him to call you.. and in the mean time? I would seat in my car and read a book"
"And by the way - You men worry way too much... Why would you even think that I go to the middle of nowhere - where is no cell connection and no AAA just by myself? and even if I go what is the probability that I would get flat tire then?"

LOL

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

I had sidewall bulge issues with the RFTs and with the non RFTs on my 2007 335i Convertible with sport suspension. Koni FSD shocks solved the problem. If I had know what I know now when I bought the car I would have taken it directly from the dealer to a shop to have non RFT tires and Koni FSD shocks installed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts