BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone purchased a Rolex in Switzerland & what kind of savings you received, if any, considering Euro to $. Going in May to pick up 545 and would appreciate any help. In December price for submariner in Italy was 6100 Euro with vat refund about 4800 Euro, after taking into consideration exchange rate (1.35 to Euro) & duty it was about the same price here in states for those that care.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
chuckster said:
Wondering if anyone purchased a Rolex in Switzerland & what kind of savings you received, if any, considering Euro to $. Going in May to pick up 545 and would appreciate any help. In December price for submariner in Italy was 6100 Euro with vat refund about 4800 Euro, after taking into consideration exchange rate (1.35 to Euro) & duty it was about the same price here in states for those that care.
FYI, Switzerland does not use the euro as its currency (because they are not in the European Union). The Swiss use the Swiss franc. I was there about 6 months ago and at that time the dollar had a favorable exchange rate vs the SF. Check out a forex site to see the current exchange rate. My guess is you could save 15-20% on a Rolex (due to the favorable exchange rate).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've bought a few Rolexes over the past 6 years in Europe and at the current exchange rates there are no real discounts vs. US prices...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Agree

roup1 said:
I've bought a few Rolexes over the past 6 years in Europe and at the current exchange rates there are no real discounts vs. US prices...
The US is the most competitive market in the world...very few Euro things worth having are cheaper there than here....especially with the current weak dollar.

·
ICH LIEBE BMW!!!!
742 Posts
chuckster said:
Based on a trip to Europe MANY years ago, I found that Rolex watches were actually CHEAPER here!!!!! With the current state of the dollar ( : puke: ) , I would not imagine being able to get a good deal on much... :bawling:

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Rolex was cheaper here but I looked at Breitlings last month in Lugano when we were there. Way too expensive. I ended up back at the airport in Munich and found the watch I wanted at the duty free shop there at a great price. Bought it while waiting for the plane. Went to get the VAT back and since I had a transfer in London they made me go to Customs there since it was my last European destination. They didn't have a clue what to do there. I made them sign and stamp the forms and then mailed them when I got back home. Got the VAT refund within 2 weeks of mailing the letter.
You might keep that in mind when at the airport. Don't tell them you are changing planes on the way home.
Good luck.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
anlauf said:
The US is the most competitive market in the world...very few Euro things worth having are cheaper there than here....especially with the current weak dollar.
Yeah. I can't speak directly to Rolexes, but generally you're not likely to get much of a deal on things that are freely traded. Simply put, the ocmpanies' distribution systems are more efficient than you can be.

Plus, there sometimes can be warranty issues--say it doesn't work--do you want to return it to Zurich?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rolex

:rofl: The Rolex I'm sure would carry a warranty if bought in Switzerland, as that is where they are made! I appreciate all the comments, but it is hard to believe that noone has actually responded to actually trying to buy a Rolex in Switzerland. I guess I must be out of style.
I will certainly check it out when in Switzerland as the dollar is finally rallying against the Euro & Swiss Franc. If someone has actually inquired about the price and done a comparison when in Switzerland, please let me know. Thanks, I will just have to check the price before I leave the states and plan accordingly!!
I

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
chuckster said:
:rofl: The Rolex I'm sure would carry a warranty if bought in Switzerland, as that is where they are made! I appreciate all the comments, but it is hard to believe that noone has actually responded to actually trying to buy a Rolex in Switzerland. I guess I must be out of style.
I will certainly check it out when in Switzerland as the dollar is finally rallying against the Euro & Swiss Franc. If someone has actually inquired about the price and done a comparison when in Switzerland, please let me know. Thanks, I will just have to check the price before I leave the states and plan accordingly!!
I
When I was there the price for a Rolex Submariner was 3900SF w/ VAT. Considering the exchange rate and the value added tax refund one could have saved about $1000, granted you did not declare it a US customs.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
hugh1850 said:
When I was there the price for a Rolex Submariner was 3900SF w/ VAT. Considering the exchange rate and the value added tax refund one could have saved about $1000, granted you did not declare it a US customs.
Yeah. If you buy a watch (or several), get the VAT back when you leave Switzerland, wear the watch home, and send the paper work and box back to your home address before you leave Europe. :eeps:

It has been known to work before. :eek:

·
ZHPper
2,127 Posts
We looked all over Zurich a few years ago and nobody could even come close to what I paid for mine in the US. Probably even worse now that the dollar is in the toilet.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think the US is very competitively priced.

I actually bought my Submariner in Dubai (and now I think of it it was over 20 years ago!), for less than $1,300!!

Still looks like new. :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with the other comments that prices in the US are generally lower than in Europe, especially now with the dollar at 1.30 to the Euro. When I was looking for a watch for my wife a few years ago, I found a company called alanmarcus.com in Washington, D.C. that had very competitive prices on new Rolexes. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
You are not likely to save any money buying in Europe. In terms of the warranty, it would be a International warranty and Rolex USA would be under no obligation to repair it. You would have to send it back to europe (which is fine, albeit more expensive and longer wait). Its the same way buying a gray market watch here in the US. They generally are not covered by US warranty.

I think Rolexes are fine...prestige and reliable movements, but why not explore some other brands while you are there. You can get similar or better quality as well as something more unique and less common.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
chuckster said:
I used to purchase 1-2 every 6 months in Spain right before rolex hicked the price by 10% and even so 3 years ago I would save over $1000/watch> This of course after you passed customs and get the VAT tax back. I just saw the stainless steel submariner in Nice and Mote carlo for 3800 euros which comes out too expensive even after the 16% VAt tax return. You figure here in the Us it costs about $3800 plus tax. All the ones I bought in Spain and Belgium I was assured that the warranty was a world honored warranty for 1 year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can get a great price in many countries in europe.
Rolex dealers outside the US are more negotiable on price,
plus duty free shopping, you got a great deal. Bargain hard!
I got a tt sub $5600 at CDG, here you would pay over $8000 with tax!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jimmy101 said:
You can get a great price in many countries in europe.
Rolex dealers outside the US are more negotiable on price,
plus duty free shopping, you got a great deal. Bargain hard!
I got a tt sub $5600 at CDG, here you would pay over $8000 with tax!
I agree with you. What is a "tt sub"? And is CDG, Charles DeGaulle airport?

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
chuckster said:
I
Sure it will carry a warranty, but the question is...will it be honored in the US? Probably not...they do this to prevent gray market imports that erode margins for authorized US dealers. You could end up with a very expensive paper weight.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
Get a Zenith El Primero, instead. Or, a rose gold Xemex. Or, even a cute Piaget. Or, even a Dior - the one with the diamond bezel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too am wondering what a tt submariner is as I am looking to purchase a Gold/Stainless Sub, I also find the comments about the warranty from various posters as incredible. I have a Rolex now that has been excellent for 20 years, so I am not worring about a warranty on the watch and since it is swiss made and I would buy it in Switzerland!! I am sure the store would warranty the watch. Some of you believe I am buying the watch over e-bay. Buying a watch in the country which it is made in and from an authorized Rolex store would not worry me at all. So for those who have been kind enough to respond with the relevant question is what did you pay in Swiss Franc or at the duty free shop for a Rolex sub in gold/silver, I thank you. I have priced them here in the states for about $6500. Switzerland vat is only around 7-8%, so the tax rebate won't be much. I have also emailed some stores in Switzerland with no response yet if ever, but again anyone with actually experience or at least pricing the watch recently would be appreciated. Please don't worry about the warranty, as if you have ever owned a Rolex you will know that it's normally a non-issue. Thanks again to all those giving me valuable feedback!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts