Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if you read it and have an opinion. Also, does the current controversy about the author and the fabrications found in the book change your opinion at all?

·
Registered
562 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
Just curious if you read it and have an opinion. Also, does the current controversy about the author and the fabrications found in the book change your opinion at all?
I read it during my vacation in December. It had a definite impact on me (in a positive way) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I was reading it, I couldn't help but think that certain parts of his life seemed a little far fetched, but I really didn't think much about it. I read the article on TSG and it mostly is a lot of garbage, with two or three "revelations" about his run in with the law. The article doesn't really change my opinion about the book as I was a little skeptical to begin with.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
I considered the book but felt the plot was a rehash of stuff I've seen and read before. Not sure why there's any controversy. Whether I read fiction or nonfiction, I take the story with a grain of salt as the content is always fabricated.

:dunno:

I guess I can understand why some people get mad. They all want to believe. They want to think documentaries are objective, nonfiction books are truth and the easter bunny and santy claus exist. To each his own...

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
A better question to the board members would be "has anyone here ever read a book?". :D
Do picture books count?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just read the tsg article today. im really not sure if it will dissuade me from reading it, although i dont really like the fact he embellished some of the story. this is a fact in my mind after reading the tsg article and the author doesnt really dispute this either (from previous interviews). few of my friends are reading it. ill get their opinion and go from there.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I read the book from cover to cover during my European Delivery last June. It's a great book for those 10 hour flights...I really could barely put it down. I enjoyed not only the subject matter but Frey's writing style is new and fresh. He writes like someone losing his mind...which in many ways he was.

That said I'm glad I read it before the controversy because I feel a little ripped off now. If he made up details for "dramatic effect" then what else did he invent? Also, I think his message of quitting a serious addiction by just "holding on" is for most addicts a lousy one. He dismisses AA and has caused a furor in the AA community. Anyone who reads this book and decides to stop going to their AA meetings or perhaps choose self will to solve their addiction problems is making what might be a fatal mistake.

That Random house is offering refunds on this book is NOT a good thing........it's an admission that readers feel ripped off.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
BMW~NYY said:
Random House is actually offering a refund for people who bought the book directly from them because of the exaggerations in it.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/01/11/arts.frey.reut/index.html

Frey will be on Larry King Live tonight to discuss the accusations of exaggeration.
That's ludicrous. The book is exactly like all other nonfiction books...filled with half-truths, lies, and distortions. Good lord, I hate the citizens of this country so much some times.

·
Over-the-Hill
11,498 Posts
No.

(quick, who do I sound like?) :eeps:

:p

·
Registered
105 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
That's ludicrous. The book is exactly like all other nonfiction books...filled with half-truths, lies, and distortions. Good lord, I hate the citizens of this country so much some times.
Apparently CNN is confused because during this interview they are currently airing with Frey they (Larry King and one of the other reporters) have said twice that Random House is not offering refunds and that that is just a rumor.

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
BMW~NYY said:
Apparently CNN is confused because during this interview they are currently airing with Frey they (Larry King and one of the other reporters) have said twice that Random House is not offering refunds and that that is just a rumor.

or another exaggeration :eeps:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
It's the fact that people read a book - which is obviously a subjective piece of work - and then flip out when they hear it's not "real." It's a book some guy supposedly wrote about his life...common sense says he's gonna rework timelines, fabricate conversations and in general spice up the story anyway necessary to get the reader to pay attention.

This reminds me of the people babbling about documentary films as if those somehow are objective and convey truth.

Based on a true story = some of what you're about to see/read is real - maybe names, maybe a character or two, maybe even an event - most of the story is stretched and a great percentage was pulled out of the writer/filmmaker's a$$ to get the audience emotionally involved in the little story.

Many of my friends are former addicts. They tell great stories about their days when they were strung out on coke/meth/heroin. But that's it, they're just stories. I've been around enough junkies to know most of the stories they tell place them in greater peril, make them more innocent, funnier, etc. They tell the story to get the crowd/listerner's attention, not because it's exactly as the event - if it happened at all - went down.

Maybe I'm jaded but I don't care if the book is a history text, an autobiography or a sci-fi fantasy, in the end I still take it with a grain of salt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts