BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replaced their rear's on the 335 sport yet?

The ex did! $360 a piece! For summer tires!

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Anyone replaced their rear's on the 335 sport yet?

The ex did! $360 a piece! For summer tires!
Well they're a little cheaper than that on Tirerack. But a lot of people take the need of replacing both rear tires as an opportunity to replace all 4 with a set of better non-RFT tires, that are lighter and ride much better than RFT.

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I told her to do that, no go.

She's afraid to be roadside w/o a spare.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
M3 e46 all around for me. 19" on new Conti tires not the run flat ones either but the high performance ones.
I will have to get the TPMS valve stems added but for now no big deal...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sue (or forgive me) for not RTFM or searching. Better yet ignore me. But...

If the car is not equipped with a spare because it has four RFTs, and you replace the RFTs with non-RFTs, and subsequently require road side assistance, might not the terms be violated in a way where you end up paying for the call?

What would road side assistance do for you in this case? Tow your car? Put a donut on it? Apply a fix-a-flat kit?

I mean... I anticipate balding my tires soon and faced with a $1400 bill to replace the tires, I'll want my homework done in advance.

If I can skip RFTs and push the little "SOS" button to save my ass if I get a flat tire, without BMW sending me a $300 bill for services rendered outside the roadsideassitance contract terms...

Maybe the solution is to keep the fix-a-flat in the car for ME... but if the wife is driving... could be a hard sell.

Just curious.

I really don't see the fuss about the RFTs so far. Smooth, quiet, decent tracking. But if the same money buys an upgrade with Non-RFT's I'll be interested in all ramifications.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This is why the tire warranty is such a good deal. Have you looked into it?

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Sue (or forgive me) for not RTFM or searching. Better yet ignore me. But...

If the car is not equipped with a spare because it has four RFTs, and you replace the RFTs with non-RFTs, and subsequently require road side assistance, might not the terms be violated in a way where you end up paying for the call?

What would road side assistance do for you in this case? Tow your car? Put a donut on it? Apply a fix-a-flat kit?

I mean... I anticipate balding my tires soon and faced with a $1400 bill to replace the tires, I'll want my homework done in advance.

If I can skip RFTs and push the little "SOS" button to save my ass if I get a flat tire, without BMW sending me a $300 bill for services rendered outside the roadsideassitance contract terms...

Maybe the solution is to keep the fix-a-flat in the car for ME... but if the wife is driving... could be a hard sell.

Just curious.

I really don't see the fuss about the RFTs so far. Smooth, quiet, decent tracking. But if the same money buys an upgrade with Non-RFT's I'll be interested in all ramifications.
Can of Fix-A-Flat works fine, same as RFT tires. Roadside assistance wil tow you to a nearest place no matter what tires you got. RFT tires are only good for 50 miles anyway, so it can happen that a tow is needed regardless.

Also, once you get to a service place it's a lot easier to patch a normal tire than RFT and in case you need it replaced it's also cheaper than RFT.

BMW didn't introduce RFT to save you, instead to save them money for not giving you a 5th full size spare.

I have a spare jack and a donut from my old e46 to carry in the trunk for a longer trip, otherwise in town, fix-a-flat will get the same 50 miles as your heavy (30lb) expensive RFT

A little off topic, but 162s with RFT tires weigh 60lbs front and 62lbs rear. A good set of light wheels and normal tires can save you a lot of unsprung weight. My setup is 41-42 lbs per corner. Do you know what saving 20lbs per corner does to the car's handling, acceleration, braking, turning etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts