BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add power folding mirrors to my new 330i, which arrives next week. I've done a lot of research on this, but still can't tell if it's possible.

Questions:
  • Does it require dealer re-coding to activate the folding function?
  • If yes, is it a programming option available to US dealers?
  • Assuming fuse 57 is present, any parts required beyond the L & R mirror bases and the switch?
  • Any other advice/help? Lessons learned?
Background:
  • I want standard OEM sedan power folding mirrors, not aftermarket, and not M3 style.
  • I've read every related post on both the 'Fest and 'Fanatics and can't find someone who's done a ribbon cabled car.
  • I've read, re-read, and dissected Terry Kennedy's excellent DIY for his '02 Touring (while very helpful, he didn't have ribbon cables).
  • I've found what I believe to be the correct part numbers for the mirror bases and the switch; they appear to be US standard parts available by special order.
  • I'm assuming the car will have fuse 57 since it is completely loaded, but will check before I order parts.
  • I'm technically savvy, and a bit too brave with this kind of stuff; but don't want to dump $500 into parts only to find it's a no-go due to programming issues.
Any ETK/TIS wizards want to double-check my work? The part numbers and descriptions I've found are:
  • 51 16 7 153 117 - Folding Heated Outside Mirror, Memory Bus, Left, Shadowline Gloss Black
  • 51 16 7 153 118 - Folding Heated Outside Mirror, Memory Bus, Right, Shadowline Gloss Black
  • 61 31 6 901 383 - Switch F Mirror Adjust./Fldng Bck Funct.
The car is a 330i with THAT package (shiny black stuff around the side windows and mirrors). Production date was 01/21/05.

Any help is most appreciated - Family Man

· There and back again
2,623 Posts
Family Man said:
I want to add power folding mirrors to my new 330i, which arrives next week. I've done a lot of research on this, but still can't tell if it's possible.
It might require dealer coding. I haven't seen the ribbon cable mirrors personally, but there is a bulletin regarding passenger tilt-down issues with ribbon cable mirrors which has a note that says "Do not replace parts - this is a software problem which will be corrected in a future update". Given BMW's history with the post-facelift LCM (where rear fogs would require dealer coding to be enabled, and the US dealers don't have that software) I see a trend toward doing more things in software.

But that's just a semi-educated guess. If you do try it, I'd love to hear about it and whether it works or not.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terry Kennedy said:
..........there is a bulletin regarding passenger tilt-down issues.............
Thanks for chiming in Terry; you are certainly the closest thing to an authority on this subject. I hoped to find someone that had tried this on a '03+ car, but so far no luck. I'm not sure I want to be the pioneer on this one. I don't mind the effort, but the special order parts wouldn't be returnable if it didn't work. I can get the three parts for less than $450, and might be able to sell the originals to recoup some of the cost; but it's still probably a $300 gamble.

As for the bulletin you mentioned, I've read up on it and while it doesn't directly relate to the folding question, it does point to a great deal of software control for functions that were not software controlled in earlier E46s. It really comes down to installing the parts and seeing what happens. I've been down this road before with the rear fogs on my MINI, which was a software dead-end until BMW/MINI caved to customer pressure and gave the dealers coding access.

I'll certainly post results if I decide to try it out.

Thanks again,

Family Man

· There and back again
2,623 Posts
Family Man said:
Thanks for chiming in Terry; you are certainly the closest thing to an authority on this subject. I hoped to find someone that had tried this on a '03+ car, but so far no luck. I'm not sure I want to be the pioneer on this one. I don't mind the effort, but the special order parts wouldn't be returnable if it didn't work. I can get the three parts for less than $450, and might be able to sell the originals to recoup some of the cost; but it's still probably a $300 gamble.
Well, you could buy just one housing and the switch, which reduces the amount of your "gamble" by one housing. When I did mine (12-pin) I ordered all the parts, but finished the driver's install and tested it before starting the passenger side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.