BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Blue Bastide
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought those fogs this summer in replacement of the plastic OEM. I ordered a HID conversion kit (50w), installed it, got the flickering and can-bus issues, bought the 50W resistor, no improvements; worse the resistor is overheating and lights shut down plus all sorts of can-bus message. The seller is telling me I either need to purchase a high end kit made on purpose for the car or go back to my 9006 bulbs.

I recently read that it could be fixed with a computer cancelling capacitor which I found on ebay.

Before making a move; would anyone had some positive experience for a stable install ? thx

View attachment 212399

Attachments

· 1.888.JLEVISW
3,269 Posts
You can do it but you need error canceling ballasts or a harness to trick the computer. I personally find HID fogs to be overdone and render your fogs useless in foggy conditions as they are far too bright.

IMO, you are better off with a hyperwhite bulb like the Xenesis Tru Match which are a direct install for your fogs and offer a whiter output but still maintain performance and functionality.

· Blue Bastide
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the PIAA extreme white plus but they are too yellowish. How do they compare to the ones you propose ?

Fog here is as rare as snow in SoCal. I drive often at night, on small roads, in rain conditions. The fog lens I bought do a great job expandind the beam on the side and have a nice cutting line (optic) like non adaptive zenon.I missed two deers (bulls I must say) and want better lighting conditions. Any toughts.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
I got GP thunder 10000k 9006 fog lights. Instant and easy swapping. Sometimes the computer shuts down when I turn it on, but now it's fine. Lights light up so good I can even light up all of the lanes on express when I'm on local. Works great when it's snowing. When the regular bulbs are snowed like crazy even when the fog light cover is covered with snow, it still lights up the ground. I had the same bulbs on my Daewoo Leganza as primary headlights. The bulbs are way blue that the stock HIDs for the main lamp looks bad and looks white. I had to change them to Optimal 8000k D1S which gives me a slight purple tint with its blue/white. I also ordered Mtec 2.0 7000k angel eye bulbs. I had ordered 8000k bulbs from china but one bulb was highly defective, wouldn't turn on all the time, and it doesn't look blue like the other.

I'm currently running without angel eye bulbs on each side and it looks really cool. With the blue bulbs that are deep for the fog and lighter for the main, the yellow eye brows really stand out and look cool. I can see people looking at the car before I drive by them.

· Registered
4,756 Posts
I got GP thunder 10000k 9006 fog lights. Instant and easy swapping. Sometimes the computer shuts down when I turn it on, but now it's fine. Lights light up so good I can even light up all of the lanes on express when I'm on local. Works great when it's snowing. When the regular bulbs are snowed like crazy even when the fog light cover is covered with snow, it still lights up the ground. I had the same bulbs on my Daewoo Leganza as primary headlights. The bulbs are way blue that the stock HIDs for the main lamp looks bad and looks white. I had to change them to Optimal 8000k D1S which gives me a slight purple tint with its blue/white. I also ordered Mtec 2.0 7000k angel eye bulbs. I had ordered 8000k bulbs from china but one bulb was highly defective, wouldn't turn on all the time, and it doesn't look blue like the other.

I'm currently running without angel eye bulbs on each side and it looks really cool. With the blue bulbs that are deep for the fog and lighter for the main, the yellow eye brows really stand out and look cool. I can see people looking at the car before I drive by them.
very nice choice of upgrade :thumbup:

· 1.888.JLEVISW
3,269 Posts
I bought the PIAA extreme white plus but they are too yellowish. How do they compare to the ones you propose ?

Fog here is as rare as snow in SoCal. I drive often at night, on small roads, in rain conditions. The fog lens I bought do a great job expandind the beam on the side and have a nice cutting line (optic) like non adaptive zenon.I missed two deers (bulls I must say) and want better lighting conditions. Any toughts.
If you stick with a halogen based bulb, you are not going to match the color of an HID bulb no matter how hard you try. However, our bulbs are about a 4300k color output which is a good match for your OE xenons.

· Blue Bastide
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got and installed a MTEC kit "made for e60s" 6000k 35w and it finally works; no install issue, direct connection to the fog wiring, no flickering, great output and with the razor sharp light cut I can even drive using the fogs only. I will upgrade the d1s to 6000k now. The ultra white 6000k provides a much better lighting after all.

· Registered
769 Posts
Hello A...
Could you share some pics of your car's front end without the angle eyes light up? Just wanted to see how the fog lights look.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.