Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WalkTheWalk
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as we all know the cowls are horribly made. They're brittle after a few years just like the windshield seam. Bought a new cowl so wondering if using plastidip would hold and give me at least a few years of protection. I have plastic protection, that 303 stuff but thought plastidip might be better. Thoughts?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's an interesting idea. Not sure how well the Plastidip sticks to plastic, but I agree that the oem Z4 cowls are not only horribly made, but horribly expensive. In fact, I would think these two factors alone would create a good opportunity for an aftermarket vendor, to include anyone with a sufficient capacity 3-d printer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
that could be called the cowl......our 05 is original even after windshield replacement and rubber seal gone.........it looks fine imho

·
WalkTheWalk
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@wifesauto what's the climate like where you live? And did you use any kind of protectant? I'm in the hot humid south and never used any protection on it

·
Registered
630 Posts
@wifesauto what's the climate like where you live? And did you use any kind of protectant? I'm in the hot humid south and never used any protection on it
nj........hot summers/cold winters......sometimes the car goes in the garage for winter and the car gets to a car wash not too often......no protection like armor all

·
Registered
138 Posts
So as we all know the cowls are horribly made. They're brittle after a few years just like the windshield seam. Bought a new cowl so wondering if using plastidip would hold and give me at least a few years of protection. I have plastic protection, that 303 stuff but thought plastidip might be better. Thoughts?
I believe plastidip would work well as a protectant but be sure you use at least 4 coats.

Most people who complain about plastidip try to get away with one or two coats that will eventually peel or will not peel off cleanly and in one piece when removing it.

You could also use the plastidip "glossifier" to protect the plastidip from fading. More glossifier makes for a more shiny finish but you can get away with just one coat of glossifier on top of the plastidip. I do believe it lightens the black to more of a charcoal gray color though.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
WalkTheWalk
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could also use the plastidip "glossifier" to protect the plastidip from fading. More glossifier makes for a more shiny finish but you can get away with just one coat of glossifier on top of the plastidip. I do believe it lightens the black to more of a charcoal gray color though.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Bimmerfest mobile app
I think the satinizer might look better. Same protection but satin instead of glossy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Those sound like good suggestions. That 303 is good stuff though, if you do nothing else. I think if you use it from the start it will do a great job for you.

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
Late to the party here...but the cowl has always been the entire verticle area beneath the windshield (where the master cylinder etc. is attached) But as someone smarter than me once said..all that is required of the written word is the specific meaning must be conveyed...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts