BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking before I do my oil change. I'm planning on putting Redline 10-40 oil in.
I've read several different things. This is supposed to be the best type V oil
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Don't know about Redline, but I have been an Amsoil guy for years. I used it in my Porsche, I use it for my jetski (2 stroke oil), and I have it in my motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I like RedLine products and they are also very popular with the track crowd.

But personally there are two reasons why I would not use RedLine 10W40. A) The manual says to use 5W30 or 5W40 and B) To meet warranty requirements BMW North America demands all non-M cars use a BMW LL-01 approved oil. For Europe the requirement is LL-04 oil.

It's warm in Texas and you are out of warranty so the RedLine seems like a fine choice in theory. I myself would not second guess the BMW engineers when it comes to oil unless I did some serious research into how good RedLine is compared to the LL-01 oils. For that I would start reading the forums at BobIsTheOilGuy.com where the oil crazies hang out. :)

The only LL-01 oils readily available are:
BMW 5W-30 Synthetic
Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula
Castrol Syntec 0W-30

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use redline 5w40 and I think it's pretty good. Keeps your engine clean and it is actually able to withstand heat better than those of it's competitors. Probably why it's popular amongst those who spend time on the track. I'm just a spirited driver and want the most protection. Redline is expensive stuff and probably offers more protection than I need but I like knowing that if I push her to the limit she'll be well protected.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've driven BMW for years and all of my mechanics usually stick with the BMW oils. Reason: Because it's excellent oil and like Yorgi said, the BMW engineers know what to use in their cars. If it's a matter of cost and the Redline brand can do the job cheaper then no harm in using it, but if not, stick with the OEM on this one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'll go with Castrol to be safe.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The oils listed below meet BMW's Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in BMW Passenger vehicles and SAVs in the US market with gasoline engines.
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30 *

1 - 7 of 7 Posts