BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Years ago I had a turbo AWD car and added an electric pre and post oiler system. I added it around 5k miles... mostly for helping the turbo last longer. It would pressurize the oil system before I started it and then when you shut off the engine, it would run for 3 minutes keeping the oil moving throughout - and especially the turbo-- which the oil would just return to the pan. All in all it worked very well and I drove that car to 190k miles. I sold it after 15 years just because i wanted something else. It also made oil changes a snap with a quick connect coupling and a matching hose for the bucket :)

That system was a bit bulky (1990 era) and used a heavy duty electric pump. Today's systems are using a pressure accumulator that is very simplistic. It reminds me of an aircraft parking brake setup.

Has anyone used one? How about on our Z4s? I was considering it as I intend to keep my car for a long time. Since mine has very low miles, is it worth it to add this system to decrease engine wear at startup? Those of you with high mileage-- any burning of oil? compression issues, etc.?

Considerations:

1. I don't drive it a lot - just on nice weekends or fun road trips
2. It has 11k miles on it so far. Obviously pampered before I bought it.
3. The accumulator is not very large and also silent when in use.

http://www.engineprelube.com/faq.html

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience. Thanks!

J :thumbup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a real cream puff and I don't blame you for wanting to take good care of it. I think the aux oiler is a smart move in keeping the engine forever young, especially on any car that will see occasional use. These engines will experience greater top end wear than daily drivers due to the extended oil drainback intervals between starts, an issue the preoiler would solve. Seems like cheap insurance for an expensive engine, and would make oil changes a snap.

On the other hand, I think that engine oils have evolved quite nicely in the past few years, especially the full synthetics. My car ('06 3.0si) has 118k on it and doesn't appear to use oil between changes (Mobil 1/5k).

If you do the install, please let us know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It is a mint one. I am looking at the details of the installation and overall operation. It is less complicated than my older pump setup.
I will post updates if I go forward.

I thought for sure a couple of guys would have this accessory ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like changing out my mobil 1 oil more than the bmw manual calls for. I feel that alone helps my engine, although I dont have a turbo. I think i would just run the engine 1 minute after i park and be happy with that. If your system works and the added connections all stay connected I dont see a huge down side. I am an engineer and believe simpler is always better... but you can make your own decisions.

·
The Arkleyologist
589 Posts
I have a friend, who is not necessarily a "car guy" who, in lieu of an annual bonus, recieved a new bmw 5 series sedan for his efforts. This was in 2003. He still owns the car and it has 380,000 miles on it. I asked him a couple years ago if he did somethings special to maintain the car. He told me that he simply followed the computer controlled "change oil" indicator on the dash. In his words that was always @12/15k miles between changes. During his stewardship of the car he has replaced a starter and an alternator. Draw your own conclusions.

·
The Arkleyologist
589 Posts
"Um, they needed replacing?"

Yep..those were the only two "major" items after 380k miles...amazing. His revelation to me made me feel sort of guilty..me being a guy who for 50+ years who changed his oil/filter every 3/5k miles....having said that...oils have become so much better in the last decade or so...old habits are difficult to reverse though...I still change my British cars every 3k miles (non synthetic) and my z3 and 330i every 5k. My Dodge Journey goes to the dealership for oil changes every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I dont know the ideal oil change interval , it changes in cold temps as more condensation and water is added to your oil, also high temps like high speed and track use can destroy your oil condition.

I have been a porsche fan a very long time and the infamous IMS bearing failure seemed to attack people that used extended mileage between oil changes, oddly people that did track work had far fewer problems, likely because those people changed oil a lot more because the car was used hard and had lots of high temps.

I have several cars in use and dont drive a lot of miles, but at minimum I change oil and filter twice a year. That may mean 4000 to 6000 miles max on any of my vehicles. I dont have an issue putting far more miles on the oil, but use during wisconsin winter at minus 25 degrees air temp makes me want to get that oil out of the car in the spring.

A friend has about 15 vw' s and only his newest car ( 2009 ) requires synthetic oil. All his other cars , half air cooled use standard petroleum oil. He has several 1.8 liter straight 4 cyl engines with mid 300 thousand miles and has had zero issues with any internal engine issue. I think he is doing changes 5000 miles or so. So synthetic oil in older engines is not required by any means.

When I owned a porsche 944 I changed the oil once a year in the fall before I stored the car. Then drive 3 to 5 thousand miles per year. I preferred to store the car 5 months with pristine new mobil 1 oil.

If we did oil analysis a few times per year we might know a lot more about when we need to change oil. I can buy several gallons of mobil 1 oil for the price of the oil testing, I guess I use ten gallons of oil per year on the three vehicles. Another couple gallons on two tractors and several snowblowers / generators / etc .

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is amazing. I change Mobil 1 every 5k on the Z4 and my Tacoma, it's cheap insurance and easy to keep track of on the odometer without having to write it down. I do dino oil on our 1st gen Miatas every 3K, with the synthetic the gaskets tend to seep a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts