BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I put a JB+ on my N54 2 weeks ago and used the factory default setting as indicated. I was wondering if anyone has had success using it at the full output setting without getting an ecu trouble code. I love the gains I have and am craving more but I don't want to screw up my warranty with a code. Thanks from a new 335i owner !

·
Top down in Sunny SoFla
650 Posts
is that what happens if it throws a code?

also, what code does it invoke?

edit: sorry for the double post, tried to delete.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi everyone, I put a JB+ on my N54 2 weeks ago and used the factory default setting as indicated. I was wondering if anyone has had success using it at the full output setting without getting an ecu trouble code. I love the gains I have and am craving more but I don't want to screw up my warranty with a code. Thanks from a new 335i owner !
I'm assuming you have an '09? If so, I don't think you are suppose to go over default, otherwise you risk throwing a code. Of course if buy a scanner, you can view and delete your own codes. Then you could run full bore without worries.

I think guys with older 335s and older software (progman 29.2 I think) can run above default without codes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm assuming you have an '09? If so, I don't think you are suppose to go over default, otherwise you risk throwing a code. Of course if buy a scanner, you can view and delete your own codes. Then you could run full bore without worries.

I think guys with older 335s and older software (progman 29.2 I think) can run above default without codes.
+1
This is consistent with other posts. Terry will likely chime in on this...very helpful.
I'm back at default (after trying 2 notches up temporarily with limp issues) but will probably crank it up again at some point.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I believe only the dealer can tell you unless you have a scanner.:dunno:

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Around march 08 is when the post 29.2 was introduced I believe.

·
Top down in Sunny SoFla
650 Posts
will you know if a code was thrown, even wtihout the wire? will it display on ur dash?

How do we know that for some reason our half-tuned JB+ isnt throwing the same code?

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Sorry...but what's a JB+??

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
will you know if a code was thrown, even wtihout the wire? will it display on ur dash?

How do we know that for some reason our half-tuned JB+ isnt throwing the same code?
You won't know you have a code unless you go into Limp mode, which at default is unlikely. The newer version of ECU software have sneaky-ass bastard code that can sometimes detect an aftermarket chip. It stores the codes as 'hidden' so only someone with a scanner, like the dealer, can see it.

Then they can use that as an excuse to disallow warranty work. Though I haven't seen anyone posting about that happening here.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

It varies depending on your ECU software version. But with the later versions you won't know without a BT cable scan. So best to follow your tuners advice with regards to settings and boost levels. :p

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
You can get a code thrown without going into limp mode.

·
Top down in Sunny SoFla
650 Posts
It varies depending on your ECU software version. But with the later versions you won't know without a BT cable scan. So best to follow your tuners advice with regards to settings and boost levels. :p
mine is maybe a HAIR past "default"..the arrow pointing straight up, halfway between min and max.

would you bet 100% that i'm safe? .. i know you dont KNOW if i'm 100% safe, but would you be willing to bet it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an April 2007 build. I'm running at 3/4 max for three weeks. Soon to go full bore. I'll let you guys know. It is awsome.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
mine is maybe a HAIR past "default"..the arrow pointing straight up, halfway between min and max.

would you bet 100% that i'm safe? .. i know you dont KNOW if i'm 100% safe, but would you be willing to bet it?
Of course! At the default setting we've had almost no reported detection codes. Actually, no VERIFIED codes. It's a big internet world out there and people can post things without supporting data easily. Without us even verifying if they have our product.

·
Top down in Sunny SoFla
650 Posts
Thanks Terry..and yeah, the JB+ did my car well.. granted it's 400+ lbs heavier than a coupe, but so was my 'opponents' M3...it was fun :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts